Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

I met Reg and the Backdraft guys at Run n Gun in St Louis this past year. They are a great bunch of guys and I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them if they were selling something I wanted. I am not crazy about the look and the details on their cars, but that's just me.
I bought SPF 1061 new in 2001 from Olthoff Racing in Mt. Ulla, NC. Your choice of dealers will surely effect your buying and driving support experience. Dennis (and his Mom and Dad, before they passed) and everyone at his shop truly make me feel like family. I take 1061 in twice a year just for safety check ups and I always look forward to visiting and catching up on the latest news. SCOF is the Superformance owners secret society. Yes, I know, it is often mocked here on Club Cobra. Here is the truth. SCOF is a huge part of the exceptional Superformance owner experience. Anything you want or need to know about the cars is there. The camradeire and support of fellow members in need is unbelievable. It's free...and that's all I can tell you or they'll have to kill me.
In 8 years of driving 1061 I have I logged over 52,000 miles of smiles. The car has been absolutely bullet proof. Road trips, drag strips, road racing, Run n Gun, cruise ins. It is as tight as the day I bought it. Handles great. Runs like a scalded dog. If I were to do it all over it would be Superformance. Just one guy's experience. Whatever you decide, you're going to have a ball!
Old 04-28-2009, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Last edited by rob frink; 12-29-2010 at 06:51 AM..
Old 04-28-2009, 07:03 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Constant comparison to a product that costs 35% more is a good thing.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:18 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob frink View Post
With SPF having some 3000 cars under thier belt compared to BDR at around 800 or so...I think there is noteable difference in knowledge and experience.
Well, maybe. Remember though that ERA hasn't even made 800 427 cars yet....
Old 04-28-2009, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the info, both good and bad.

I am going to go to my local SPF dealer, Hillbank Motorcars in Irvine, this weekend and take a drive in one.

I got to crawl all over a BDR at the Knotts show and want to compare it to the SPF (which had a display 50 feet away but I was so into crawling all over the BDR's that I failed to compare to their cars).

As an aside, if I end up with a SPF, can I then thumb my nose at the FFR cars?

Just kidding FFR owners (of which I am one).
Old 04-28-2009, 07:29 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Thumb your nose, yes -- guffaw, no. To do that you have to move up to a Kirkham or an ERA....
Old 04-28-2009, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Both of those are out of my price range.

A polished Kirkham would occupy my living room as a permanent fixture.

Would never have the guts to drive it and maybe get a bug spot on it.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
A polished Kirkham would occupy my living room as a permanent fixture.
On a sunny day the FFR guys can't see you thumbing your nose from inside a fully polished Kirkham anyway -- thus the need for the hearty guffaw.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A man spends $50K plus how much should he have to turn a wrench. The factory was responsible for everything but the MSO fuk up.

Factory issues
Leaks, Squeaks, rattles, failed ball joint, fan thermo
Dealer issues
vacuum pump, tire out of round carb tune Mso

Make no mistake SPF and BDR leave some serious quality control issues and I agree 100% with bartruff, buy a sorted used one. My first BDR I had 18 issues, my SPF 14 issues. I have spent countless hours chasing bugs and other factory issues. In the end however the spf is a much better car than a bdr. It is funny it would cost the factories no more to do it right than wrong. I have to admit mine never had rattles, never drove it in the rain so don't know about leaks but I am 100% in agreement with Bartruff you buy a new one get ready to spend 8 months sorting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
Just to be fair, over half the stuff you listed wasn't the factory's fault; it was either the dealer's responsibility or another manufacturer's product (i.e. out of round tire, vacuum pump (not factory on any SPF), carb tune, to name a few).

You guys that can't turn a wrench crack me up some times. Not picking on you personally, so don't take it wrong. These cars are not like going to your local Chevy dealer and buying a Z06. It's not the same experience.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1235
Not Ranked     

I believe it is closer to 5% if you add the options to the roller that are standard on the SPF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
Constant comparison to a product that costs 35% more is a good thing.
Superformance #1235
460/T5
Old 04-28-2009, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Last edited by rob frink; 12-29-2010 at 06:51 AM..
Old 04-28-2009, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, KC 427
Not Ranked     

Jim,
After reading your post I think you have answered your own question when you stated – “I have a FFR roadster right now and want to upgrade”. So now the only question is do you want to upgrade half way or all the way. Buy the Superformance and you will be so very glad you did. If you buy the backdraft you will you will still be wanting a Superformance.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolw View Post
If you buy the backdraft you will you will still be wanting a Superformance.
... perhaps you would be... it sounds like you had your heart set on a Superformance to begin with. I looked at a Superformance & then bought a Backdraft... and I'm glad that I did. No regrets whatsoever. I'd do it again.

I'm the 3rd owner, yet Backdraft has always taken care of me when I called with questions. There's a great group of owners in the area, and I love the added comfort, stability, & performance of the 92" chassis. I love the look too.

If you're looking for a car that comes fully loaded & more authentic, I agree Superformance is probably the way to go. It's a great car, no doubt about it.

For me personally, I couldn't justify the premium for options I didn't want. I was completely indifferent to the heater/defroster. Most people I've talked to almost NEVER put their top & sidecurtains on... and the snaps/ferrules do clutter-up the clean look of the car.

In the end, it's a personal decision... and the decision is yours alone. Buy what makes you happy, and enjoy it.
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600

Last edited by Slick61; 04-28-2009 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-28-2009, 08:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok, now, if I go with either car, what engine would you recommend. And keep in mind I want a well mannered street engine with lots of torque.

Not interested in racing or frying the tires in fourth gear. Just want to be able to accellerate away from just about anything on the street.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default If I was that close to Hillbank...

Quote:
Thanks for all the info, both good and bad.

I am going to go to my local SPF dealer, Hillbank Motorcars in Irvine, this weekend and take a drive in one.

I got to crawl all over a BDR at the Knotts show and want to compare it to the SPF (which had a display 50 feet away but I was so into crawling all over the BDR's that I failed to compare to their cars).

Just kidding FFR owners (of which I am one).
I would have to give very serious consideration to their cars. I should also add that the "dealer" who I bought from is no longer in business and I suspect that Lance is doing everything practical to improve the quality of the product and the dealerships. I hear nothing but good things about Gear Six in Boise (Wayne) and Hillbank and others. BUT I will say again, if I was in the market, I would buy a used sorted car. It was my intention to get a SPF GT40 this spring, but largely because of my problems I will likely only consider a Ford GT....a production car with a dealer every 50 miles...Just my 2 cents... ps... I get no satisfaction from thumming my nose at anyone, that doesn't validate my choices...
Old 04-28-2009, 09:02 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Ok, now, if I go with either car, what engine would you recommend. And keep in mind I want a well mannered street engine with lots of torque.

Not interested in racing or frying the tires in fourth gear. Just want to be able to accellerate away from just about anything on the street.
A Roush 427 SB (Windsor based) will most definitely fill your need and keep your hands full. You can always go more authentic with an FE (helps the resale value a bit as well, if built right, i.e. Keith Craft). These cars are light...it doesn't take much motor to lose grip on acceleration.

I love the ERAs and Kirkhams, but I bought as much Cobra as I could afford when I did.That's what led me to a sorted out "pre-owned" SPF model that had all of the latest upgrades (dropped foot box, chrome rollbar, air vents, Wilwood discs). My car is 9 (nine!) years old but it looks, acts and drives like it's 2. 'Nuff said.

-Dean #747
Old 04-28-2009, 09:05 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
A Roush 427 SB (Windsor based) will most definitely fill your need and keep your hands full. You can always go more authentic with an FE (helps the resale value a bit as well, if built right, i.e. Keith Craft).
Small blocks are for pussies. You need to go with an FE.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob frink View Post
Or waiting for them to build it after I ordered it. I'm sure it's a nice car...but once I looked into an SPF...I felt anything else was a compromise in one way or another. For me, the SPF was a "Total" package.
Yes, every car they do is a "custom job." The upside to that is that you get exactly what you want, and no two cars that they build are exactly alike. The downside of that is the cost and the wait. The wait seems like it goes on forever....
Old 04-28-2009, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
You are what you eat!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Anytime...anywhere. Even if I don't outdrive you, the shine will blind you.