Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-24-2004, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C,351W
Not Ranked     
Default Motor Questions

Hey Guys,

I am thinking I will pick my Cobra project up from A&C in mid April but already have a bunch of questions.

I am a big Mopar nut and origionally was going to do my Cobra with a Mopar powertrain. After a lot of research I decided to do a Cobra the Ford way first and learn from that project weather or not I would do another the Mopar way. Problem is that my Ford knowledge is lacking.

I was planning on going the 351 route but have not come up with one in my area that I liked. I was thinking of a late model fuel injected 5.8 out of a Bronco. Are there the performance upgrades available for the injected 5.8s like there are for the 5.0s?

The next thing I wonder about is what the difference is between the Mustang GT 5.0 and the 5.0 in the rest of Fords line up are? I ask this only because there are about 20 to chose from in the local salvage yard and no GT 5.0s. I will go through the motor completely no matter what I get so do I have to have the GT motor to have a hot one? I am looking for about 350 hp for the finished product.

The last question for now is on transmissions. The car will have a 5 speed. All the motors I have found are hooked to autos. With a mopar there are balancing issues to deal with with the change from autos to manuals. Will this be a concern with the Ford motors? So far people have told me to bolt the manual on and go.

Thanks Guys,
Aaron
Old 03-24-2004, 12:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Aaron,

I can't say for sure that you won't have any problems but I haven't seen any of the guy's around here that have had any when they changed over. However most of them were running 351s, so there may be a difference in the 351 and 5.0. Some of the guy's here will be able to tell you more for sure.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-24-2004, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

Aaron,
I would stay with the 351 as opposed to the 5.0 302. It is basically the same engine and you get alot more potential with the 351.

Now you can get a nice turnkey engine from Engine Factory
http://www.fordcobraengines.com/Cobrakitpack.html
I highly recommend them.

You can buy a short block from them also (that's what I did) and build it up yourself.

Or you can buy a block and have it worked locally.

I prefer a carbed engine over fuel injection. I find it less touchy and easy to tune.

By the way, I have a 1974 351W block, crank and timing cover available if you are interested.

Roscoe
Old 03-24-2004, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Mopar thingy (small block of course)
Not Ranked     

If you are having the engine balanced, you would have the whole rotating assembly balanced so there shouldn't be any issue like the mopar being internal/external balanced. Regardless of tranny.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnspeed,408W,Tremec 600 roadrace, Liquid Yellow w/Black stripes
Not Ranked     
Post Engine?

Aaron,
Welcome to the C.C.! There is so much technical support here! With your engine question, if I remember correctly, the 5.8 in the bronco is a "M" or modifided engine. More for torque. Related to the clevland engine family. Just look at how/where the upper hose connects to the engine. Intake manfold - windsor, engine block - clevland/modifided. I think you would want the 351w/small block, or the FE big block. The 5.0 HO engine has a different firing order/cam shaft, than the standard small block. Trans options, T-5, from a mustang, tremec 3550, tremec tko, upto the new tremec 600. Just changing the bellhousings for the correct engine.You should consider a scattershield though. Mcleod or lakewood. Hope this helps!
Old 05-04-2004, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

I just finished my car and used a 351W form Engine Factory. 405 HP is plenty. But, it depends on what you plan to do with the car. Are you going to race it or just use it for cruising? Which ever engine you go with, it will be quick because these cars are so light. I guess the ultimate engine would be a 427,but that might be a tad expensive!!
Old 05-04-2004, 07:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

I've had both the 302 and the 351. Ask Mr. Mustang here, he's got lots of info. But I do not think the 5.0 in the GT was any different than the one in the LX. It's a good motor, but as Roscoe said, I'd recommend starting with the 351W. If you're looking for 350 hp, the 351W can do that easily without any kind of stress. You can then push it further up the hp scale easily if you want. Yes, performance parts are plentiful for the motor. Nothing wrong with the 302, it was a great motor, but I'm very happy now with my 351. Only a few extra pounds for lots more torque. I don't think you'll have a problem with the trans. When we swapped my motor, I kept the same T5 trans that was bolted to the 302. Bought a new heavy duty clutch (I don't remember about the flywheel, to be honest), but it basically bolted up and went.

My car is like Arts'. Roughly the same power, and the car goes like hell. You'll have to chose carb vs. injection, as that is like debating what color is everyones' favorite. I went with the carb...cheap and easy to maintain.

Steve

No, it ain't "real", but it's real fast....

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 351W

One thing to consider is clearance height under the hood. I have a 351W and went the EFI route. The throttle body is only 1.5 inches compared with carb. A 351W is taller than a 302 some guys put a bigger hood scoop to allow for clearance. When I did mine edelbrock did not have EFI for the 351W so I had mine made by Force-EFI.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf efi.pdf (32.6 KB, 158 views)
Old 05-04-2004, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1670 Stroked Little Windsor - Runs OK.
Send a message via AIM to MidOHasp
Not Ranked     

I've not seen too many times a 351W didn't fit under the hood of one of these cars.

FWIW, if you're looking for 350HP, a 351W can get you that and last practically forever. I know Hal Copple has a 396 stroker (351W based) that is a stout motor (much more than 350 HP) and he has 75,000 miles on the build.

350HP will make the thing scoot, but for probably no more money, you can have closer to 400. The 351W may not have quite as many aftermarket parts as the 302, but it has MORE than enough. It's not the same discrepancy as say between a 351 Cleveland motor and a smallblock Chevy.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

The 351W fits nicely into the A&C. I have the edelbrock performer intake, a 1" 4 hole spacer and a Speed Demon carb. On top of that a Helling and Snelling (or is it Snelling and Helling?) and still have some clearance.

Go with the 351W, tons of aftermarket performance parts available; more than you'll ever need.

Roscoe
Old 06-16-2004, 01:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique & Collectible 351 windsor bored and stroked tko tremec
Not Ranked     

Hiaaron i was wondering how your build is going? i have a windsor in my cobra also. ill tell ya what it has lots of power. i have had mine bored and stroked its around 400 hp and its a lot of fun. everywhere ya go you get the looks and lots of thumbs up.hey also i used to live in wellsboro pa. not to far from corning. thats kinda cool but now im in maine,we will be cruising somewhat by there in June 22nd for the dv spring fling in columbus ohio, well good luck and keep us posted on the beast
Old 06-18-2004, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique and Collectable Chevy 5.7L LS1
Not Ranked     

Hi Aaron,

I'm in the final stages of my A&C Cobra build and I went with a fuel injected Aluminum Chevy Gen III 5.7L LS1. There are a lot of chevy parts for this engine to push it to 500 hp easily. I liked the A&C Kit because it allowed me to use any engine Manufacturer I wanted! If Mopar is your preference don't count it out yet, sometimes it's better to be a little different, friendly competition and all.
Good luck with your build!
Neal
Old 06-21-2004, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the info.

Life as usual has been very busy for the last couple of months. Project cobra has been idle. I have the roller kit sitting in my garage waiting to be put together. Basically a bare frame and a bunch of boxes. Still have not got the third member. They say it is being dirrect shipped and should arrive anytime.

In the mean time I have been trying to get a T3550 or TKO. The 3550 is no longer in production and the new TKO is quite expensive. I have missed a few on ebay by 10 bucks. They always seem to end at 3AM. I cant stay up that long, morning comes to quick.

Once I get a few more parts I will get at it. Cant wait.

Aaron
Old 06-22-2004, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 351W, C4
Not Ranked     
Default A&C

Hi Aaron,

I built my A&C last year and I have a 351W with an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold with a Demon Carb and an oval air cleaner. The only hood clearance problem I encountered is that with the oval air cleaner I only have about 3/4" of clearance between the top of the rear of the air cleaner and the rear inside hood ribbing. I am currently using a 1/2" spacer. I have considered using a 1" spacer and to do so I will have to trim just a tad bit of the hood ribbing, about 3" wide and about 1/4" deep. Doing so would be so neglugible that it won't affect the integrity or strength of the hood.

When I built my Cobra, I mounted the engine mounts according to their build guide. If I had moved the engine mounts a 1/4 or 1/2 inch forward it would have allowed plenty of room for the air cleaner.

About a year or two ago A&C changed their hood scoop and went to a larger scoop. The kit I have has the larger scoop.

There are plenty of guys in here who have A&C's and I have not heard anyone who is dissatisfied with the product. It's an easy build and their body is really strong. Any information or questions you may have during your build, just ask away as I am sure that the guys in here will reach out and help you. They all did when I was doing my build.

Good Luck,

Tony
Old 07-12-2004, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique & Collectible 351 windsor bored and stroked tko tremec
Not Ranked     

Hi aron i was wondering how you are coming with your build. we havent heard from ya lately. i can guess you are probably working on it welll good luck and send us some pics. thanks neil
Old 08-16-2004, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the interest guys. Not muck progress to see picture wise. I am not going to put anything together till winter. Just trying to collect all the parts I can before I start and still be able to buy dinner for the family.

Aaron

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: