26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

My biggest issue with that possiblity is sending it to a shop that I dont know and start all over again and also the priniciple of having to spend more money to fix something that should be taken care of by Roush. The bellhousing(Lakewood) is one that Roush provided I beleive, they just personally now reccomend a different brand(Quick Time). One of the biggest problems is that the origianl shop went out of business 6 months after my car was finished so I dont have recourse against them either
Ron
Old 02-16-2010, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I was on my way home from Goodyear stopped in traffic because I-60 was closed when the car next to me started smoking and grossing me out. I was getting real annoyed until I realized it wasn't him but MY ENGINE that was billowing smoke. OH NO, stricken with the 511 curse. Car is now up at Dean's for warranty troubleshooting. The process begins, sigh...

I'm probably done for the season. See you in Laughlin (I hope).

So nevermind about my previous post saying I have no problems with my engine. Crap!
Old 02-16-2010, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     
Default That sucks!

What you guys--csx4910, twobjshelbys, and SandyC--are describing with your Roush motors sucks! I feel for you.

You've got substantial sunk costs--and just want your car back in working order with an engine that's reliable and delivers the performance for which you paid (not too much to ask).

Good luck in getting things resolved swiftly.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Ron,

One other suggestion would be to take your car to Stephen Bramlitt at Full Throttle in Reno (I believe he has relocated his shop just outside of Reno).

Stephen is a Roush dealer and has probably done more installs on Cobras, GT40's, and Coupes than anyone in the Western United States. He works very closely with Roush and has assisted them in troubleshooting and resolving problems in the past.

I would give him a call.

http://www.fullthrottlereno.com/index_files/Page358.htm

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 02-16-2010 at 06:57 PM..
Old 02-16-2010, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sandy,
Welcome to my club. I think I will call it RMTA or Roush Motors That Suck Anonymous. That sucks. Us and 2bjshelbys in Colorado makes 3 of us in this exclusive group. Anyone else out there want to join the Club of people with Roush Engines That Suck?

I am curious for an opinion on the flywheel issue specifically and if anyone had had that happen before. Todd seemed to want to blame it on the installation rather than the flywheel itself but the fact that I didnt have problems with it before make me want to question that. Any thoughts?
Ron

Last edited by csx4910; 02-16-2010 at 07:06 PM..
Old 02-16-2010, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As long as the starter teeth and flywheel are alinged properly the bell housing would not matter unless it gets the starter up against something which prevents it from being shimmed. Geez to break the flywheel teeth it must have barely engaging them. I feel for you!! Roush has really dropped the ball, no excuse, a letter to Jack Roush detailing the entire ordeal is in order. Send it certified mail. Even if he does not respond you know he got it, although he would get to the bottom of it in about 5 minutes.

I had an issue with the leather on a lazy boy rotting, store blamed it on foam, blah blah blah, ceritified letter to CEO and I got a call to go pick out any chair in the show room.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ron,
Remember all these people that are suggesting you ship it elsewhere is not already out $40K for a motor and looking at spending another $10K to get it fixed.(It's easy to spend someone else's money)

I fell for you and I personally would stick with Charlie as he knows what he is doing and it is not costing you thousands and thousands more.
Superformance #884 --- Sold
No more Furds.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maddmaxx, I dont have enought experience to know the difference but Todd from Roush said the lakewood puts the starter in an awkward position compared to the Quicktime and make it more difficult to align according to him. Has anyone else had that experience?

Last edited by csx4910; 02-17-2010 at 07:45 AM..
Old 02-16-2010, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less for now..
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4910 View Post
My biggest issue with that possiblity is sending it to a shop that I dont know and start all over again and also the priniciple of having to spend more money to fix something that should be taken care of by Roush. The bellhousing(Lakewood) is one that Roush provided I beleive, they just personally now reccomend a different brand(Quick Time). One of the biggest problems is that the origianl shop went out of business 6 months after my car was finished so I dont have recourse against them either
Ron
I have a guy here in town who is an expert in Fords, a real expert and not a poser like a lot of others in other places that play with knockoffs. He rebuilt the engine in CSX2039 and it sold for $7.25 millions at auction in 09. He has done tons of real Cobras and has done some of the fakes as well. I spoke to him about your car and he said that a lot of crazy things have been done that make no sense. There is no question that he knows the score and I can send you his number if you want. PM me and I will do so. Check with the other AZ Cobra guys, they know that I may be a goofball but I have absolute honesty and integrity and I can tell you that you are getting screwed around by just about everybody in this deal. Ask some of the guys about the Mustang I had this guy do for me, 3 years and it still runs perfectly, no additional input from the build. 425 HP and 2800 pounds and zero trouble.

Send me a message and I will connect you. Only an idiot would install a starter and have it rip up the flywheel. Let me help you. This guy is here in Phoenix and not in the east or wherever.

Steve
Old 02-16-2010, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulv View Post
He rebuilt the engine in CSX2039 and it sold for $7.25 millions at auction in 09.
Here's a picture of CSX2039.

Superformance #884 --- Sold
No more Furds.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just sent Todd from Roush and thier customer service supervisor a long message espressing my expectation of having a flywheel overnighted. I attached the list of problems I have experience with the car since new. We will see. I also realized that my starter and flywheel were replaced less than 2 months after the car was finished in 2008 so now we will be working on the 3rd flywheel and starter. If they don't move quickly (and I mean much quicker than they have on everything else) I have to take this to another level. the challenge is that I am sure they have a team of lawyers just waiting to squash people like me. This process has opened my eyes a lot to how much more research I should of done before purchasing the car. Anyone else who is thinking of purchasing the Roush 511 (or any other Roush product) should think long and hard about it. I am sure this might of been easier if my origianl dealer hadn't gone belly up but there isnt anyhting I can do about that.

What is the going market rate for a 2400 pound paperweight?
Ron
Old 02-16-2010, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mulv,
PM sent
Old 02-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRAT View Post
Ron,
Remember all these people that are suggesting you ship it elsewhere is not already out $40K for a motor and looking at spending another $10K to get it fixed.(It's easy to spend someone else's money).
That was me. And I stick to my original opinion. Find someone that's THE ONE and get the car on the road. Nearby would be great.

Ron is nearing six months now. I spent a good deal of money on mine too and I would spend more to get it finished. I'm not an expert, mechanic or whatever, but flywheels and starters should be easy for the experienced Cobra/FE installers around the country.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I sent the Roush customer service supervisor and Todd Andrews an email saying I expected to have the flywheel overnighted. We will wait and see......
Old 02-17-2010, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk 3 408 530 - 585 T- mustang Dyno at B&R
Not Ranked     

Sounds like keeping this thing under wraps and confidential is long past. Protecting some names and tasks has long gone by the way side. These guys don't like bad press. This forum is international so have at it. I would be so pissed with the money you have spent. No excuse!

What is the deal with Rouse anyway? Such total bull**** on their part . This would have been a great marketing situation for them if they would have stepped up.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less for now..
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRAT View Post
Here's a picture of CSX2039.

Haha you are right it was CSX 2601

Old 02-17-2010, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Maybe this is a dumb idea, but how about telling Roush to keep the 511, and send you another engine of your choosing. They might be willing to work something out just to contain the bad press they are getting on this forum alone. I, for one would never even consider a 511 based on your experiences. I'm happy with my plain old 427 srtw.

They obviously have issues with that 511 and should want to get them all back and make their customer's stop complaining. If it were me, I would not want that engine back from Roush.

The bad press they are getting here has got to effect future engine sales. 2,000 hits and growing. That is some serious negative press even though 1000 of them are from the same guys.

Roush, step up, replace the engine with one that is not problematic, and be done with it.

Once again, you have shown more patience than I would have.

Last edited by jhv48; 02-17-2010 at 09:11 AM..
Old 02-17-2010, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They have alredy sent the motor back to my shop here and was being put back into the car when this issue with the flywheel happened. I have not asked them for a brand new motor but would happy to discuss that option with them.

I am certain Jay Leno would of had a brand new crate motor overnighted to him if he had problems with his 511 he is putting in his 66 Galaxie but the rest of us working stiffs dont have that kind of pull

Last edited by csx4910; 02-17-2010 at 10:00 AM..
Old 02-17-2010, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I think it is time to go to a higher level. I think Jack is the place to start. If the two (perhaps 3) of us all send letters at the same time (or send a single letter signed by all of us) maybe they will get something. The truth is that with the internet, they can't not know that we are all trading horror stores about (1) the problems and (2) the service.

I'm afraid Todd may not be the right "go to guy" in this case. Yes, I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. His card indicates he is Marketing - not engineering or service.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Since everyone else is jumping in here, I might as well.

As I understand it, the motor came back and was installed and running right. The issue now is the starter is eating flywheels.

That shouldn't happen if the starter is aligned and shimmed correctly. The mechanic who is working on this should know how to check for proper starter clearance and alignment. My guess it the teeth are not coming into full contact.

While I may not have all the facts, it seems your problem lies with your mechanic at this point. I would want to know what steps he has or will be taking to ensure the third one is the charm.

I tend to agree with Mulv, you need to have a mechanic that knows what he is doing or get one who does.

Just my two cents, get three more and you'll have a nickel.