1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 12-20-2011, 02:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     
Default Here you go..................

I received some very good advice from Randy Thomas at SCOFF and discovered the cause of the issue:

on the left front wheel brake caliper there are supposed to be four bolts that should have been secured by locktite by the installer, guess what when I checked last night there were only three, apparently they was no locktite and thus one vibrated loose, as a result the entire assembly could move vertically and thus when braking the assembly would move and sound like metal to metal and make a loud clunking noise. After driving back and forth several times to get video of the motion and noise the wheel well was heavily scraped.

Long story short I sent a video of the breaking motion to Lance of Superformance and he got Charlie of Hot Rods by Dean in Phoenix to pick up my car, it will be fixed tomorrow. Also on the fix list is the turn signals, they never worked from the very first time I got the car and after I returned the car I was subsequently assured by the installer they would be fixed. I am also guessing the power booster brake pump will need replacing since it was acting up on the very first day I went to test drive my car six months ago.

Not sure about you guys who are skilled in the art of automotive sciences, but when I saw this picture it sure didn’t look right, even if it works well.

You guys be the judge. tin-man

Last edited by tin-man; 12-20-2011 at 02:30 AM..
Old 12-20-2011, 02:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 65' SPF (511 CID) FE 427 Alum Block Shelby /Roush 600hp-625fpt sideoiler
Not Ranked     

Tim Man,

Charlie is a great guy. He fixed mine. While he is under there have him check all the bolts. Well worth it. I knew it after you described what happened. He knows these cars very well.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What's up with the transmission pan?

It looks like the transmission is at quite an angle?
Old 12-20-2011, 05:48 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin-man View Post
After driving back and forth several times to get video of the motion and noise the wheel well was heavily scraped.
How do you replace a wheel well on a SPF car?
Old 12-20-2011, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR from Levy Racing 302 FI w/Edelbrock Performer heads
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
What's up with the transmission pan?

It looks like the transmission is at quite an angle?
What he said.

Is that chipped paint on the lowest part of the trans pan?

Vietnam Vets may be eligible for medical care and disability compensation. Contact the VA if you have prostate cancer or type 2 diabetes. Finally got around to going to the VA.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What a fuking crime, joke, fuking turn signal doesnt work? If that is the transmission pan and it is cocked, I am beyond words and must leave this thread.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:58 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Maybe just me but the bell housing flange/engine appears to be cocked as well.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
What a fuking crime, joke, fuking turn signal doesnt work? If that is the transmission pan and it is cocked, I am beyond words and must leave this thread.
The situation was a little bit humorous back in June when it all started 78 Miles -- but there is no humor in this anymore. It's actually turning in to a sad thread. Anyone with an autotrans SPF should step up and post some pics so we can see what the right way looks like. Maybe it's not as bad as it seems.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

Tinner,
My sympathies to your plight. I anyone on this thread can feel your pain when it comes to things happening (Roush or otherwise) it is Myself, Sandy and Spooky. I am no expert but maybe they were under the influence when they installed your transmission? That can't be correct. Hopefully they get you back on the road soon.
Ron
Old 12-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

I'm going to withhold comment as I have nothing good to say about Hillbank right now. That's amazing that for that much money, you get that badly screwed and never kissed.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 12-20-2011, 09:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin-man View Post
...on the left front wheel brake caliper there are supposed to be four bolts that should have been secured by locktite by the installer, guess what when I checked last night there were only three, apparently they was no locktite and thus one vibrated loose, as a result the entire assembly could move vertically and thus when braking the assembly would move and sound like metal to metal and make a loud clunking noise. After driving back and forth several times to get video of the motion and noise the wheel well was heavily scraped.
John, if the brake caliper was loose and moving, is it actually the inside of the wheel itself that's scraped as opposed to the wheelwell?

Re: the transmission pan angle, let's hope it was deliberately canted that way for clearance or some other purpose and does not present any sort of problem.

With a relatively bare bones hotrod like a Cobra, some ongoing tweaking, tightening and vibration related issues can be expected. These early problems you're experiencing though, are more typical of what an amateur home builder/assembler might expect and cheerfully accept on a car he built in his own garage but DEFINITELY NOT from a $100K plus turnkey the second time around from an all-star cast of names like SPF/Hillbank/Roush et al.

But don't lose faith in Cobras buddy - they really aren't that bad. Get your remaining issues sorted so you can get out there and really feel the joys of Cobra ownership.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 12-20-2011 at 09:41 AM..
Old 12-20-2011, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Is the entire engine/trans at the angle or just the trans? Check the oil pan. Mine was slightly off center too and it was due to engine mounts.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
How do you replace a wheel well on a SPF car?
It was a incorrect description of what I saw, it was the inside of the wheel rim that got scoured, me bad. That said, I accept the fact that every now and then I will make some type of dumbass remark since I is an inexperienced car enthusiasts, but you can bet your bippy I will absolutely become an expert over time on all the issues associated with owning a Cobra. That's what's going to keep the adrenalin pumping for me in in my retirement, along with tinkering, fixing, polishing, and driving the car in a very sedate manner, and on rainy days going into the garage and just sitting in my car shouting as loud as I can, varroom, varoom. . Oh and along with chasing my wifey and doing all the stuff retired folks do.

Cheers, John,AKA, tin-man
Old 12-20-2011, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 468ci 550HP + 150HP NX Matching Shelby GT500 650HP
Send a message via AIM to Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB
Not Ranked     

Tinny, I know you will think this is easy for me to say, but, I agree. Hang in there. It took me a long time to iron out all the little intricacies of your unique toy. Once on this side of working out the bugs I haven't had any problems for years. Outside of replacing rear tires frequently. You will learn ALL about your car and the more you know, the easier it gets to fix yourself, and the more you fix youself the more you know.
See how that works?
Eventually "one" with your cobra you will become.

AZ Yoda Bob
Old 12-20-2011, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

X2 on that. I have been in your shoes x3 and it will test your patience. Hang in there.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Some perspective seems to be in order with so many opinions:

- Superformance built the rolling chassis and body. Does not appear to be any issues with that (the car is gorgeous and structurally sound). Verdict = Positive.
- Hillbank sold the turn-key-minus car and is clearly standing behind their product (and supplementing the installer they may have referred the buyer to). Verdict = Positive.
- Eric Voss installed what might be a one-off combination for any prior replica Cobra build (BIG INCH Roush injected motor with auto trans). Fraught with issues, some which clearly could have been avoided, but still more complex then your typical build. Not sure why this project, after countless others, went so far south either. Maybe even this one-off install was out of their league? Verdict = Negative.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. And the weakest link is clearly evident. I hope this owner gets his car sorted out...sometimes it takes a while but once it's set (as others have pointed out), it's set for good with just routine maintenance thereafter.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Superformance installed the brake calipers and turn signal both of which have problems = negative

Hillbank = I assume knew of loose calipers issues since there was a TSB. I assume a dealer would run a shake down on the car. Maybe they never had to stop or use a turn signal prior to both deliveries . = Negative

I have no idea about the transpan with missing paint but it met expectations on someone list

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACademic View Post
Some perspective seems to be in order with so many opinions:

- Superformance built the rolling chassis and body. Does not appear to be any issues with that (the car is gorgeous and structurally sound). Verdict = Positive.
- Hillbank sold the turn-key-minus car and is clearly standing behind their product (and supplementing the installer they may have referred the buyer to). Verdict = Positive.
- Eric Voss installed what might be a one-off combination for any prior replica Cobra build (BIG INCH Roush injected motor with auto trans). Fraught with issues, some which clearly could have been avoided, but still more complex then your typical build. Not sure why this project, after countless others, went so far south either. Maybe even this one-off install was out of their league? Verdict = Negative.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. And the weakest link is clearly evident. I hope this owner gets his car sorted out...sometimes it takes a while but once it's set (as others have pointed out), it's set for good with just routine maintenance thereafter.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

John,

Let's see what Charlie can do with it. He has worked miracles in the past. Maybe for the Jan 1st run have him ride along, just like the old days at Indy.

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 12-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So just how does an obvious recall-level flaw like the calipers get by so many people? SPF doesn't send a note to purchasers on something like that like every other car manufacturer in the world does? I'm still getting recall notices on cars from GM that I don't even own any more. And none of the "experts" that were putting the car together, or fixing it, bothered to even check the TSB list? C'mon, we don't need to turn this thread in to an SPF bash, but let's get serious. If SPF put one tenth the effort in keeping their buyers advised of serious dangers that they do in marketing, tin-man's brakes wouldn't have torn up his wheel the first day he had it. What would they have said if those calipers had put tin-man in to a head on collision... "uh, we just sell rollers, it's the responsibility of someone else to make sure you haven't bought a death trap."
Old 12-20-2011, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Have them check for broken engine/transmission mount.