good one !!!!

Now ... The dogs car
Mercedes E63S station wagon. 603hp
Old 08-08-2007, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Hey Mulv, if I had a potent SB stroker and some 17" rubber I would take you up on your offer. I've driven a stock GT Stang and it didn't impress me much. I've also watched guys (in SB SPF's) dust stock Mustangs all day long at different tracks. I've never had my SPF on a road course, but I've driven my buddy's Noble on one. -Now THERE'S a car that can handle.
I constantly dust my brother-in-law in his pumped up CTS-V with no problems (racing around Chicago highways)...........does that count?

As far as the SPF's Doug Reed and Dennis Olthoff drove, I don't recall any major upgrades over stock on those vehicles. I believe Olthoff's car had the upgraded anti-roll bars (thicker) as well as Olthoff's (now famous) Bilstein upgrade - both of which are available for SPF owners from the Olthoff's.

If Steven's buddy want's a car for racing on a road course, then IMO, he shouldn't be looking at ANY Cobra replica's (except perhaps JBL). If I were him, I would concentrate on a Noble or a Brock Coupe. If he's sold on the "look" of a Cobra, then he can't go wrong with any of the replica's mentioned by ALL of us on this thread. -At that point he just needs to figure out if he wants to build it himself, or have a roller delivered to his door.

Last edited by TerrysSPF; 08-08-2007 at 07:08 AM..
Old 08-08-2007, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

You want to see a mean track cadillac ? well go here and see my good friend Jeff Schartz' 82 Caddy. He smoked a bunch of Cobras on the track at Road America.

http://www.schwartzperformance.com/cadillac.htm

Hersh
Old 08-08-2007, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk 3 408 530 - 585 T- mustang Dyno at B&R
Not Ranked     

Carl, Karl, Karly, Bronze Retired Boy;;;,,what was your ET? 10.what?
Old 08-08-2007, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

10.74 @125 was the best so far. I'm anxious to get out to the strip again, when they've done some track prep. The last time I was there was for the Scottsdale Exotic Car Club meet and the track was 'way loose. Hoping to make it towards the end of October or early November.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

There is much more to a car than just their ET although that is major points in the WOW column, My car with the Big Block runs in the mid 10 's too but it is also about the big picture.
I would love to throw the big inch engine in a roller and come play with you Karlos, either way you will need to get a new boy to take your beatings from the ET Police.
I would like to see some club competitions and maybe an Auto cross and road course thing happen under the club sponsorship,
Old 08-08-2007, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 Mass-Flo mild race engine
Not Ranked     

I'll bet on Hersh and lay you guys odds....Dave
Old 08-08-2007, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: none
Not Ranked     

OK, first of all talk is cheap. Anyone interested in setting up a track day let me know and it will be done! (the more the better price) Now that that is cleared up... Any car can be modified to go fast, even a caddie, so it is just a matter of bucks (right Fitz?)

Second, I have driven with and tried to keep up with Mulv, I have $100.00 US on him because he doesn't care. That is one nice trait to have in a driver and he really knows his stuff.

Last, driving is a skill and you could have the best car on the track and have the worst lap times if you do not know what your doing. Experience comes from knowledge, knowledge comes from mistakes... I would be curious to ask how many cars Mulv has totaled in the guard rail to get his experience....

So hey what about that track day and gaining some experience?
Old 08-08-2007, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk 3 408 530 - 585 T- mustang Dyno at B&R
Not Ranked     

Yes; I will follow you guys as I am not familar with the tracks but it would be fun. No fences or walls.....I remember flying by Davids when I had my blue car and then was sittng backyards when I turned toooooooooo wide! (At firebird I think; but it was fun); Would Bondurant ever let's us do something like that as a group. I thought Mr Mike said he was way too pricey$$$.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 1862, 351W
Not Ranked     

As a recent Superformance purchaser, (previously owned), my first choice was SPF because I feel that it has "THE LOOK" of the original.
I realize that the originals varied in many respects, but overall, this car has a pleasing overall look and quality that I was looking for.
I cannot afford a Kirkham, and don't really want the worry of an aluminum body.
I feel that the Superformance was the best car for ME. (Your opinion may vary)
When I found this car, I purchased it off of a hand full of photos, (and a LONG question and answer session over the phone).
My father asked me if this was wise to spend that much money, without driving / inspecting the car first hand. I explained that I was confident, that a Superformance Cobra was of a consistent build quality, and I was confident that the previous owner had taken good care of the car.
If you buy a Cobra that was assembled by a person with unknown ability, buying from a few photos would not be a wise decision. The car is only as good as the person that assembled it. There are people that assemble these kits for people that cannot, or will not do it themselves, and they offer a quality service. Check out the reputation, and make an informed decision. In a "previous life", I ran open track days with the Shelby Club at Firebird. I also was a regular at the SCCA slaloms, and had a personal best of second fastest time of day. As far as handling, I have not had the opportunity to play with mine on a road course, or slalom yet, but my gut feeling so far is this car will satisfy all my Cobra needs. Decide what YOUR needs are, and satisfy YOUR needs.

Last edited by PhoenixCobra; 08-08-2007 at 11:41 PM..
Old 08-08-2007, 11:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mulv wrote:

If you want to go to the track, there is no question that the SPF will be way slower than a FFR, prep for prep and with the same driver and identical power.

Truly unbelievable. What an opinion...and that is all it is. My One Lap Car that won in 1999 was basically stock, other than lowered suspension and 17" wheels. All the Major Automotive magazines around the World have tested and proven and documented that our Superformance cars handle extremely well. Our Coupe holds the record for skid pad #'s with Road and Track. (1.07) Car and Driver posted .96 with our MKIII with Street tires back in Sept.1996. How about our Car and Driver street car shootout, and the Supercar shootout '03. Motor Trend, Automobile magazine, etc.

MULV, how can you state "there is no question" You post as if you are the "handling Guru of Cobras", yet your profile shows nothing.

It's obvious why I don't post or read this Forum much. I almost forgot.

Let the attack begin, and have fun, but I'm signing off for a few more months.

Doug Reed
Old 08-09-2007, 02:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Again...

SPF owners will continue to rep the spf's
BDR owners will rep the BDR's
FFR's will rep the ffr's
ETC ETC ETC
Old 08-09-2007, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less for now..
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Master
Mulv wrote:

If you want to go to the track, there is no question that the SPF will be way slower than a FFR, prep for prep and with the same driver and identical power.

Truly unbelievable. What an opinion...and that is all it is. My One Lap Car that won in 1999 was basically stock, other than lowered suspension and 17" wheels. All the Major Automotive magazines around the World have tested and proven and documented that our Superformance cars handle extremely well. Our Coupe holds the record for skid pad #'s with Road and Track. (1.07) Car and Driver posted .96 with our MKIII with Street tires back in Sept.1996. How about our Car and Driver street car shootout, and the Supercar shootout '03. Motor Trend, Automobile magazine, etc.

MULV, how can you state "there is no question" You post as if you are the "handling Guru of Cobras", yet your profile shows nothing.

It's obvious why I don't post or read this Forum much. I almost forgot.

Let the attack begin, and have fun, but I'm signing off for a few more months.

Doug Reed
People who have actually competed in pro racing series know that skidpad numbers do not neccessarily reflect the handling ability of a car on the track. It is about transition which is about mass and suspension setup. That is why a Peterbilt tractor on a skidpad will post a higher number than a Crown Victoria (which I have personally witnessed at a school for CHP officers) but will never outrun the police....

I stand by my statements having driven both a SPF car which I owned and a FFR which I borrowed. I personally am not at all comfortable in the SPF on the track. If you want to argue, that is ok with me , I have plenty of people who will tell you that both cars have diabolical handling - some of whom have the hospital bills to prove their point. If you read the original posting , there was a call for opinions on the two cars. If you have driven both cars in stock trim , which is 15" wheels and crappy Goodyear balloon tires without changing the suspension from the settings in the manual as I have done, I believe you will come to the same conclusion. Unless of course you are a SPF dealer so that you are ever so slightly biased.

Brian, Let's get the track one day so we can goof around a bit... Jeff, bring the Cobray so you can have some fun as well...

This forum has opinions that vary, try not to get too wound up Dreamer, 1999 was a long time ago FFR has come a long way as has the One Lap field... my last pro race season in enduro was 3 wins 3 seconds and a 4th in 7 races. The level of competition now would make it a dream season to come 10th..... and as to my profile - not everyone has tiny body parts so they don't feel the need to boast about their possesions or accomplishments...

Last edited by Mulv; 08-09-2007 at 05:27 PM..
Old 08-09-2007, 08:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Hey Bruce (proud new owner),
I read your post about how you purchased your new Baby and bottom line is if you are happy the world is a happy place for you and that is all that matters PERIOD ! We all come to a discussion with our own internal inputs or perceptions that form our own opinion. The truth is because we " Have no dog in the fight" they do not matter. It is your car now so enjoy. I checked it out at the 5 N Diner and it was very nice.
Now to the point of my car is better than your car .... well of course it is. That is why it is mine and that is as it should be too, pride of ownership. The debate and challenges that come from this are know edge are were we are at now so let the games begin. Again our own opinions will determine what dog we pick in this fight. There is no perfect car for all uses or more importantly all drivers/owners unless we are talking about Your Car.
There are folks that have years of experience driving for a living under many class and sanctioning bodies. I for one did it in drag cars and boats but that sheds little light on these cars. Car set up driver to driver is also a variable but without a bunch of seat time I could not personally comment. Mulv has held many certs and has the seat time to know what at the least works for him. There are very few people I would ride in the passenger seat with but gotta say he is one. Maybe I am just not smart enough to be scared but he made rides in my own car a total new experience and did things that just amazed me. I am talking an E ticket ride. If you get a chance to ride with a Pro driver take it in a heart beat.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

Brian...

Let's work on a track day for November. It should be a ittle cooler then.

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 08-09-2007, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Smile

Dave,
Thanks but you better keep your money in your wallet. The best I ever did was third at R&G and that was just in my class. I do this cause I get the same feeling that any pro driver gets during an event. It's just a blast to do this and I feel lucky enough to own two cars to do it with..

Doug, you crack me up. I love reading your passionate posts. I think you
know full well there are always going to be these type of disscussions on this forum. You've been on this forum for near as long as I have.
The SPF company make wonderful products and they sell well. One opinion will not change that. Doug, please don't take this stuff to heart. If I took all that ribbing I get for having a Chevy powered Cobra then I would've been gone a looong time ago.

hersh

Any club event at a track... I'll try and be there.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, Carbon Fiber Body, IRS
Not Ranked     

Mike,

Why wait until November? COCOA is late OCT. All Cobras are welcome and the price cannot be beat anywhere. It's only an open track event with passing on the front and back straights but there are 4 run groups. It's always a hoot to see who can keep up with the 225hp spec racers.

Roger

Last edited by Roger Stine; 08-09-2007 at 09:19 AM..
Old 08-09-2007, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 468ci 550HP + 150HP NX Matching Shelby GT500 650HP
Send a message via AIM to Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB
Not Ranked     

Jeff, PhoenixCobra's name is Curt, but otherwise you have been very diplomatic.
Doug, you know better than to jump into this "X" vs "Y" discussion. Noone wins.
Steve Mulvey, I KNOW you are an experienced driver and I trust your judgement. I tried to keep up with you once at Firebird - lost cause. And, you were driving with 1 hand.
Mike, Hersh, Brian, David, Fitz: A track day is ALWAYS fun no matter how much or little you drive.
Roger, we have local tracks to choose from so we don't have to trailer our street-driven cars.

AZ Bob
Old 08-09-2007, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK1
Not Ranked     

I am interested in a track day. What kind of cost are we talking about?

Steve
Old 08-09-2007, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Polished KMP #488 / 427SC, 427 SO/482 by KC
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb

There's no comparison...

a Kirkham is always the best choice.