28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Curt I am sorry and not sure why I blew your name. Thanks Bob for the poke as I just messed up but think I got the proud new owner part right. It is nice to see that Shinny New Car feeling and darn glad it seems to last forever with these cars. Maybe a little less over time but jumpin in and going for a ride bring it right back for me anyway.
As far as the track day goes I am all for it but not until cooler weather. I do not know if my beat up body will take it as I know I would not be very smooth. I also need a lot of run off and no walls to be willing to hang it out. This turning stuff is pretty new to me but admit I have pushed my car to point of getting away just to know where it starts. Power application after in a turn seems to be where mine needs the most caution and tells you the least before she snaps. If I have room I can come back into it and get out of trouble with the throttle and that is a blast.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less for now..
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin
There's no comparison...

a Kirkham is always the best choice.

Finally, the voice of reason

Also my next Cobra methinks....
Old 08-10-2007, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK1
Not Ranked     

Well I think this title on the home page hold true...

Welcome to Club Cobra...The world's largest non-biased Cobra site!
Old 08-10-2007, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1676
Not Ranked     

A Cobra is a Cobra is a Cobra..
Buy it, build it, what ever.. just Enjoy it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do want to add this comment.. I was at Carlisle this past spring talking to a rep from an un-named insurance company, he commented that FFR (NOT the company) but builders of un-known skill levels have single-handedly caused most of the insurability issues with replica / kit cars in general. A FFR assembled by a competent builder is a safe car, but not all builders are so gifted.

I personally own a Superformance because of the consistent build quality and the fact that I didn't have the space or desire to build a car.. Yes, I still think SPF is on the top of the Cobra quality listing, however I am currently looking into a FFR coupe now that I have more time and space (more for a project to spend some Q-time with the kids... and to get them involved in cars ).....

Last edited by STCinc; 08-10-2007 at 12:12 PM..
Old 08-10-2007, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettestr
I would like to see some club competitions and maybe an Auto cross and road course thing happen under the club sponsorship,
This winter the Scottsdale Exotic Car Club will have many events at the drag strip and tracks with corners. Nobody is really trying to win, but it is fun and you can go as slow or fast as you like. It's all in fun.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK1
Not Ranked     

How do you get involved in that?

Steve
Old 08-10-2007, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven566
How do you get involved in that?

Steve
I know a bunch of guys in the club. Pretty much the bulk of them like racing their toys and have a good ol' time strip or track. Often they invite guests. I'll be sure to post on the events coming up when it cools down here in the next couple months.

I'd really like a group of Cobras to go to the drag strip, but the track is fun too.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

I was at Carlisle this past spring talking to a rep from an un-named insurance company, he commented that FFR (NOT the company) but builders of un-known skill levels have single-handedly caused most of the insurability issues with replica / kit cars in general.

C'mon, name 'em and let's see some statistics on whether it's parts falling off of owner-built kits or big inch motors in 90" wheelbase cars that are causing most of the problems.

Last edited by Maricopa; 08-10-2007 at 06:11 PM..
Old 08-10-2007, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 Mass-Flo mild race engine
Not Ranked     

There is no competition in the club...When Bob Broberg shows up, everybody shutters and takes off in all directions.....HE DAH MANNNNNNNNNN!!!!! DAVE
Old 08-10-2007, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 468ci 550HP + 150HP NX Matching Shelby GT500 650HP
Send a message via AIM to Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB
Not Ranked     

Dave, you're gonna get me in trouble.

AZ Bob
Old 08-11-2007, 03:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1676
Not Ranked     
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maricopa
I was at Carlisle this past spring talking to a rep from an un-named insurance company, he commented that FFR (NOT the company) but builders of un-known skill levels have single-handedly caused most of the insurability issues with replica / kit cars in general.

C'mon, name 'em and let's see some statistics on whether it's parts falling off of owner-built kits or big inch motors in 90" wheelbase cars that are causing most of the problems.
OK, sounds like I hit a chord... You must be a FFR owner, and good for you. Well put you bravado back in you panties and relax, I am not looking to single any ONE person out with any comment! The claimed problems were from inferior parts, poor workmanship, doner parts from old tired Mustang, etc, etc..... The larger CID engines were not introduced into the conversation.. Per the insurance reps, FFR cars were ahead of all the others in reported claims....

I will not mention the name of the insurance company, so don't ask me too... I feel it would be wrong to mention names when I was clearly asked not too. The person(s) I spoke with in said conversation did not quote specs, nor did I ask for any. I merely engaged in a mild conversation regarding the insurability of replica Cobra's in general. I am NOT pointing fingers at any one person, person's or any company!! The fact of the matter is that the build quality of ANY "KIT" car can and will vary dramatically from one builder to the next. Not everyone who buys and builds a "KIT" car is a genius! Some folks should just stay driving Hybrids and not ever lift the hood of a car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you require more information, YOU can simply do some homework on you own. I merely brought the subject of my conversation to light and will comment no further on it.

PS. This should be fun to watch..................

Last edited by STCinc; 08-11-2007 at 03:54 AM..
Old 08-11-2007, 05:01 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by STCinc
Per the insurance reps, FFR cars were ahead of all the others in reported claims....

PS. This should be fun to watch..................
And I'm sure the second leading selling kit/replica would be second... it's all numbers and the more on the road the more likely they are to be involved in some "trouble"
Old 08-11-2007, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MIII, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

Well this thread looks like a fun place to throw in a couple more opinions. I have for one raced a FFR club spec racer in Vegas and have toyed with my SPF at Sears Point and on some local parking lot courses. I will say this, my SPF with 17" wheel/tires is as good as the FFR except I'm running 180 more HP with IRS, which makes understeer more prevalent. With the stock 15" wheels/tires...the SPF can't compete against most of the FFR's and their owners tire options.

As for fit/finish...it's not even comparable. And one final thought, most of the SPF owners don't want to flog their cars at the track...they like having a car to show, drive and race at 80% on the track. The FFR owners have "typically" less vested and more knowledge on how to fix and tend to drive it accordingly. Which is why I race an FFR and drive an SPF.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn
And I'm sure the second leading selling kit/replica would be second... it's all numbers and the more on the road the more likely they are to be involved in some "trouble"
I would have to agree with that in theory, but without some numbers to apply it to, it is pure supposition. This is not aimed at ANY car, but that statement. In order to have some validity, it needs to be overlayed with some #'s. How many FFRs are there, not sold, but actually on the road, the same with all brands. I believe that Superformance is at the mid 2000 #, is there that many FFRs ? and how many others. For there to be any application of the percentile rational, we would need to know how many of each brand and what percentage of the total each is. That would then need to be compared with percentages of accidents by what brands... Everything else is pure hearsay and speculation. To really be fair, you would also need the # of miles per year...I mean.. that's how insurance companies base things. You would also have to separate track work from the regular road driving. Nothing against the owners, but I would venture that many of the accidents/claims were from guys that were in over their heads. I worked on Sportbikes from their inception and I know well how that can come into play...extremely quickly and costly.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fellas, we could go on all day long..The fact of the matter is that you have 2 great machines on the road..Sure one is more expensive than the other but there's a definite reason.. The end results are 2 fine machines that anyone would give there left n_t for..When you're on the track or the road just remember that these cars are truly ""not"" toys..They're racing machines.Sooooooo, drive carefully and think at all times..I should know, I crashed my coupe on a mountainside last year...Dave
Old 08-11-2007, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less for now..
Not Ranked     

Re the insurance thing... My insurance company would not insure any replica cars when I asked them to. That includes FFR (which I think has way more than 5000 cars out there) SPF (which is closing in on 3000) or any other, period. My fake Cobra, an SPF had originally been titled in California as a 1965 Shelby Cobra and I bought it from an exotic car dealer in Los Gatos as such. I had no trouble insuring it with my agent because of this... oh and I have no problem naming the company - Allstate. They wouldn't take replicas, period... maybe it is an agent to agent difference, whatever...

2245 makes the same point as I did... and he is 100% correct therefor
Old 08-11-2007, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk 3 408 530 - 585 T- mustang Dyno at B&R
Not Ranked     

Maybe the answer is get SFC, get a tested engine in it; Give it to Gordon to set up; then start putting a few bucks in it and there you have it. Both of both worlds...just in case you want to look pretty and visit the track...
Old 08-11-2007, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1988, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulv
Re the insurance thing... My insurance company would not insure any replica cars when I asked them to. That includes FFR (which I think has way more than 5000 cars out there) SPF (which is closing in on 3000) or any other, period. My fake Cobra, an SPF had originally been titled in California as a 1965 Shelby Cobra and I bought it from an exotic car dealer in Los Gatos as such. I had no trouble insuring it with my agent because of this... oh and I have no problem naming the company - Allstate. They wouldn't take replicas, period... maybe it is an agent to agent difference, whatever...

2245 makes the same point as I did... and he is 100% correct therefor

Allstate is currently insuring my Superformance number 1988 right now.
Guess it does depend on the agent.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by STCinc
A Cobra is a Cobra is a Cobra..
Buy it, build it, what ever.. just Enjoy it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do want to add this comment.. I was at Carlisle this past spring talking to a rep from an un-named insurance company, he commented that FFR (NOT the company) but builders of un-known skill levels have single-handedly caused most of the insurability issues with replica / kit cars in general. A FFR assembled by a competent builder is a safe car, but not all builders are so gifted.

I personally own a Superformance because of the consistent build quality and the fact that I didn't have the space or desire to build a car.. Yes, I still think SPF is on the top of the Cobra quality listing, however I am currently looking into a FFR coupe now that I have more time and space (more for a project to spend some Q-time with the kids... and to get them involved in cars ).....
Old 08-11-2007, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, The King, Mr. Pink Is A Very Knowledgeaboe Guy For Sure..he Sees All And Knows All...he's A Wise Man From Cobraland...dave.. P.s. I Listen To Him..so Should You!!!