Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HARRISON, FORD 302, SOLD
Not Ranked     
Default R32 camber adjustment and fat wheels

Hi
Can anyone enlighten me to the vagaries of camber adjustment.
I'm still having dramas with my Dragway Hallibrands sitting outside the guards on the rear by about 15mm. I solved my earlier problem of the caliper fouling on the back of the wheel by having it machined and shaving a bit off the caliper.
I spoke to Warwick today and he's scratching his head as the offset is to his spec at 130mm and they should sit inside the guards. He suggested that maybe the wheels are cambered incorrectly and if I angle the top of wheel in it might clear the guard.
I'm in the dark re camber and toe adjustment other than he telling me that I need to turn the big cam on the top of the A arm.
I had a quick fiddle with it and cant really see how it would angle the wheel that much.
Any advise 'd be great
Old 10-29-2009, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

If the factory setup doesn't give enough camber adjustment you can find replacement upper arms on ebay that provide a greater range of movement.

JDM-Performance-Rear-Upper-Camber-Arms-S13-R32

The ones below are cheaper but don't have dust boots and I've been warned about the quality of the rose joints.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/POWER-SPIRIT-...item56323d41ca

With my Harrison, the offset on the rear wheels won't be a problem - it's the fronts. We can't see how the measurements confirmed by 2 other Harrison builders could possibly clear the front guards on my car. And that's using the same wheel manufacturer (Vintage Wheel Works in the states). So it seems there's quite a lot of variance in the bodies.

Last edited by sambo; 10-29-2009 at 05:11 AM..
Old 10-29-2009, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Sambo
I read your earlier posts re these issues prior to ordering your wheels and your STILL having problems!!
Do you know how much movement at the top of the rim you'd achieve if you adjusted max positive camber to max negative?
Old 10-29-2009, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Mate I haven't ordered the wheels yet - although with the exchange rate at the moment I could put the savings towards rolling the guards. My priority is to fire the engine before xmas so the wheels can wait.

I couldn't put a figure on how much the rim or tyre edge would move inboard, but I know Whiteline sell lots of kits for the R32/R33, so perhaps give them a call? If you're handy with a ruler and protractor (or CAD software) you could probably draw it to scale and compare various setups.

Just a thought... those adjustable arms may solve your clearance issues, but will the resultant camber angle be too aggressive for the Harrison? Eg, uneven tyre wear, poor traction or bad dynamics on the race track.

Thinking outside the square... can any material be milled off the bolt up face of those Dragways? Or would a slightly lower profile tyre give less bulge and still look/drive OK?
Old 10-29-2009, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Byroncobra, bring your front and rear wheel up to my place and you can take some measurements off my street car plus suss out the other wheels if they don't sell before on ebay!!
Old 10-29-2009, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good idea Matt
Hows tomorrow sound?
Old 10-29-2009, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tomorrow is fine! What time you thinking?
Old 10-29-2009, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Sambo
I might see how Mervs turned out, hopefully he'll spot my post, cause i think hes got the same configuration as me and he's just through rego.
I've already machined the rear of the wheel spokes and the caliper to get clearance for the caliper so if i take any material off the boltup face i'll be back to square one with fouling probs.
Might catch up with spooky and his wheels this w/e, it may answer a few questions..........seems a pity to have to not use the 2 new wheels and tyres though
Old 10-29-2009, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hows 10.00ish?
I'll call you to confirm
Old 10-29-2009, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Make a mark on this wheel where the lip finishes on the guard and we'll see how it compares on mine!
Old 10-29-2009, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ten is fine! Yes I'll wait for your call before I know its on. Lol
Old 10-30-2009, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     
Default R32 rear

Greg

My 16" rear wheels have 125mm front offset and they sit well inside the guards with the standard R32 rear. Is yours an R32 or R33 rear?

With the standard upper arms on my R32 rear, the adjustment wouldn't let me get more than about -2.5 degrees of camber. The standard adjustment provided little help - as you have discovered. In the end I fitted the aftermarket adjustment kit (both upper arms on each side) and have been very happy so far. If you want to have a look on your way back from seeing Spook, just let me know - I should be around after lunch. I'll PM you my number.

Good luck

Geof