Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 09:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some kind of FORD thingy, with several pis tins, twin chain driven SUs feeding a Y block, apparently.
Not Ranked     
Default Solar Tips

Heres a bit more info on maximising your power output from your system.

1, your panels should all point due north.
2, your roof pitch should be as close to 26% pitch as possible.
3, buy a quality inverter, cheaper chinese brands usually only convert about 92% of power from your panels, whereas quality german brands convert about 98% of power, no inverter will get you 100%.
4, make sure you have a quality installation job done on ALL connections to the wiring system, you can lose power here.
5, As i understand, to get maximum efficiently from the system the panels should be wired in strings of 3, in other words multiple panels of equal amounts divided by 3, i have 39, 3 x 13.
Uneven amounts of panels produce uneven amounts of power being fed to the inverter from each string,which is not ideal.
I see lots of panels on peoples systems and they are usually not counted in numbers of 3.
Most of the installers dont seem to know this fact.
6, keep the panels clean.
I am not an electrician, but i did my homework when i invested in my quality system and hope some of these tips might be of interest to anyone interested.
guye, boxhead, Rob. Smith and 1 others like this.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat racing View Post
2, your roof pitch should be as close to 26% pitch as possible.
Tom

I think that the optimum pitch of the panel will depend on your latitude. 26* may be good for you but down south will need a bit more, and north less. Regardless, the optimum pitch will indeed be important.

Geof
Old 03-04-2014, 02:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some kind of FORD thingy, with several pis tins, twin chain driven SUs feeding a Y block, apparently.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07cob View Post
Tom

I think that the optimum pitch of the panel will depend on your latitude. 26* may be good for you but down south will need a bit more, and north less. Regardless, the optimum pitch will indeed be important.

Geof
That is true, for me up here that is the ideal senario but it does change a bit the more you go south, you just have to check the graphs for your area, glad you mentioned it as i forget about that.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP Pace427 (AP4033) GM L77 6.0L TR6060
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
...Your smart meter will record that you are producing more than you are using and you will be credited 8c per kW/h as it goes back into the grid (500W feed back in for 2 hours is 1kW/h). You are effectively selling that unused electricity back to the company wholesale.

After the sun goes down the solar system will automatically shut down. Now you are pulling direct from the grid. Your lighting, TV, the oven cocking dinner are all drawing on the grid. You are then pulling electricity from the grid and paying 24c kW/h retail for it.
Got it Mike. Thanks. I had a brain brown-out I think, cause I forgot to calculate that of course your not paying for that power during the day when solar is working (up to your 3kwh or whatever system one has!). I was probably thinking (like tomcat) of the days when we could get same or better buy back rates. Duh!

I'm seriously thinking of solar for my holiday house in Mansfield Vic (which is available for rent [/end plug]) cause when I'm not there (most of the time) it just runs a fridge, bar fridge, hot water inverter and electric fence zapper.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Santa brought me an Arcade machine for Christmas. I used to build these for a living in my first job back in 1986. I had been wanting a machine for ages and was looking at restoring an old one but I found this one ready to go.

It has nearly 2000 of the classic games in it and been a real trip down memory lane going through them. My daughter thinks it's great and we've been battling away on it.

A lot of my youth was spent around arcade machines so having one in the shed was a must have. Video arcades were just what we did back in the late 70's early 80's. That's where we would meet up with friends and hang out. In Hamilton (NZ) there was an arcade next to a hamburger shop in the city that we would go to regularly. I went back a few years ago and surprisingly the burger shop was still there but unsurprisingly the arcade long gone,
boxhead, mate, sambo and 3 others like this.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

That is cool..... but its going to take you away from your car... so I will take it of your hands.

Your right in that it brings back memories and the fun and easy times that it was like to be a kid.

Games I remember are Galaga, Moon Patrol, Gyrus, Galaxian, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Hyper Olympics, all the versions of Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter, Frogger, Dragons Lair, Pacman and variations, Donkey Kong......... these are the ones that come to memory now.

Ahhhh, living in the past, nothing like it.
Aussie Mike likes this.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

A not so little bird told me someone has been kicking your butt on mortal combat Mike
Aussie Mike likes this.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Apparently..... according to an electrician mate of mine that may or may not work for an electricity supplier up here.... You can get your panels to produce power to your house during a blackout.
The dodgy way is to turn off your main power switch so that no power gets sent down the line to potential linesmen working upstream. Then you get a battery jump pack ($100 from local parts store) with a built in inverter. Make up a 'dead mans plug' with two 240v male ends on it. Plug one end into a power point in the circuit you want to use and the other end into the inverter. Turn it on.
Apparently the solar system needs to 'see' a 240v signal to activate the system. Then you plug your charging cable into the jump pack so it keeps it's charge and continues to feed 240v into the system and the solar panels do the rest.

You can also have a better master switch installed into your meter box so that it detects the power coming back down the line and switches it over automatically.

We tried it....... yep it works.....
Bod likes this.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

There is a reason that solar systems switch off during a power outage.
Electrical transformers will work stepping down voltage but if you liven the secondary side such as what Ash may or may not be suggesting in the above post they will produce HV on the primary side (read it will fry the linesman working on the system).
Hard wired Generator back up systems have a changeover switch that isolates the incoming supply when they are put on line, if you must do something like what has been suggested ISOLATE THE INCOMING POWER SUPPLY AT THE MAIN SWITCH.

Or move somewhere that has a decent supply grid.
mate likes this.