Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
View Poll Results: Best Australian Kit? or FFR?
Classic Revival 13 20.00%
DRB 18 27.69%
G Force 4 6.15%
Harrison 20 30.77%
Python 5 7.69%
Race Car Replica 2 3.08%
or - Factory Five Racing 3 4.62%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 03:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ?????
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZCOBRA View Post
Well Tony ,

I'm sure your selection will no doubt be well researched by BOTH of you...
I look forward to driving Targa one of these days in my REPLICA COBRA!!

Cheers OZ
Hi guys

I have appreciated all the banter - It seems to be good natured - no body seems to be giving more than they get ! It is a 'just for fun' poll.

The 'newbie' is getting something out of it.

And thanks to people who sent their two-bobs in a PM - they are appreciated

Cheers...

But, OZ - I think that was a two-headed Tasmanian joke !!! Very subtle !

A low blow

PS - I was born in Melbourne - I claim dual-'citizenship'

/2

Tony
Old 05-24-2010, 03:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonus72 View Post
But, OZ - I think that was a two-headed Tasmanian joke !!! Very subtle !

A low blow

PS - I was born in Melbourne - I claim dual-'citizenship'

/2

Tony
I was hoping it would be picked up!!!....Door's always open over here mate anytime!!

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-24-2010, 09:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor View Post

Brutal honesty ,oz,I bought my car after hearing stories regarding the toyota based kits,seems their the crap.DRB seemed the next best option.
I too have stayed out of this, mainly because it’s been done to death. But being an owner builder of a Crown chassied cobra I must defend her! Mine is not your typical crown build, I’ll get to details later.

I must agree, Crown chassied cobra’s have never had a good rep, and for very good reason. In fact I enquired about one in 1983, and promptly ran away as fast as I could. Before fabricated chassis were available, the choice was to find a proprietary chassis that dimensionally came close, and then work with it. There were some very dubious kits in the early days, and these are the ones still doing the rounds, passed on to a new unsuspecting enthusiast, in a state of perpetual incompleteness. They were very basic in design and pretty nasty. Not necessarily the chassis, but the quality of the body etc.

Now if you look at chassis alone, I don’t see much difference between the Crown rolling stock and the Torana. Both fronts are pressed metal cross members and control arms, and unless upgraded, both rears use light duty live rear axles with drum brakes, adequate for a cruiser. The let down of the Crown front end is the slow steering box. Frankly, I see a Crown/G-Force as a better option than a DRB. However, stay far away from attempting any other Crown kit.

My car is a G-Force (reputable builder) with Crown chassis and Jag rear end. I took this route back in 1990 as in ACT and some other states, at the time, using a proprietary chassis was considered, for ADR and rego purposes, a ‘re-body’. This allowed me to build to 1972 regulations, the main benefit being ‘live’ side pipes at 96dba, no argument and leaded fuel. Strip my car to the chassis and apart from the pressed metal front end, appears basically the same as the G-Force MKI, RMC, W.E, and RCM, all respected cars. To back it up, in it’s first outing, I placed fourth overall in the Go-whoa at ’97 WW Nats, have placed 3rd in class at for Wakefield Nats hill climb, and when I was a regular, consistently placed in the first 3rd of the field for class in sprints. The car runs a carburettored mild 302 with street tyres.

So it really does come down to what you as the owner want to achieve. Would I go this route again? – probably not given the quality of most kits today, and what you need to comply with.

The Ferrari pictured is actually a Datsun 260Z. Ian Denner of Classic Revival built these in late 90's
Old 05-24-2010, 11:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hodgson View Post
I too have stayed out of this, mainly because it’s been done to death. But being an owner builder of a Crown chassied cobra I must defend her! Mine is not your typical crown build, I’ll get to details later.

I must agree, Crown chassied cobra’s have never had a good rep, and for very good reason. In fact I enquired about one in 1983, and promptly ran away as fast as I could. Before fabricated chassis were available, the choice was to find a proprietary chassis that dimensionally came close, and then work with it. There were some very dubious kits in the early days, and these are the ones still doing the rounds, passed on to a new unsuspecting enthusiast, in a state of perpetual incompleteness. They were very basic in design and pretty nasty. Not necessarily the chassis, but the quality of the body etc.

Now if you look at chassis alone, I don’t see much difference between the Crown rolling stock and the Torana. Both fronts are pressed metal cross members and control arms, and unless upgraded, both rears use light duty live rear axles with drum brakes, adequate for a cruiser. The let down of the Crown front end is the slow steering box. Frankly, I see a Crown/G-Force as a better option than a DRB. However, stay far away from attempting any other Crown kit.

My car is a G-Force (reputable builder) with Crown chassis and Jag rear end. I took this route back in 1990 as in ACT and some other states, at the time, using a proprietary chassis was considered, for ADR and rego purposes, a ‘re-body’. This allowed me to build to 1972 regulations, the main benefit being ‘live’ side pipes at 96dba, no argument and leaded fuel. Strip my car to the chassis and apart from the pressed metal front end, appears basically the same as the G-Force MKI, RMC, W.E, and RCM, all respected cars. To back it up, in it’s first outing, I placed fourth overall in the Go-whoa at ’97 WW Nats, have placed 3rd in class at for Wakefield Nats hill climb, and when I was a regular, consistently placed in the first 3rd of the field for class in sprints. The car runs a carburettored mild 302 with street tyres.

So it really does come down to what you as the owner want to achieve. Would I go this route again? – probably not given the quality of most kits today, and what you need to comply with.

The Ferrari pictured is actually a Datsun 260Z. Ian Denner of Classic Revival built these in late 90's
David, I think Iam still does the Ferrari 240Z, I wanted to get one for the Mrs's (would run LS1 with auto box) but she wanted a Charger.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'd go the Charger Dave, It would make a far better cruiser and have more creature comforts
Old 05-25-2010, 12:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

That's a good looking Cobra David. You should be proud.

One thing that annoyed me about this thread is that it doesn't take into account the quality of work gone into the build. I reckon with patience and work most Cobras could be made to handle well regardless of their running gear. Effort put into the bodywork will yield results too. Or a quick coat of flat black like mine will make even the nicest body look crappy.

What I would have rather seen is people list the pros and cons of their own kits rather than just bagging other manufacturers. What's important to one person may not be to another. The opposite may even apply.

For example I'll start with my CR. Note however that my car is not the current generation round tube chassis.

Pros:

• I like the body shape, I think it's fairly accurate but more importantly to me it looks good aesthetically.

• I like the materials used in the body construction. Quadra (quad directional stitched mat) and Vinyl Ester resin rather than chop strand mat and polyester resin that many use. This makes for a stronger body that's light weight.

• I like how the tub is bonded into the body. This makes for a tidy engine bay/underside and adds a lot of strength to the body.

• Use of core mat in areas like the floor make for a stronger structure without adding a lot of extra weight.

• I like having the ability to separate the body from the chassis. I'm a chronic tinkerer/modifier and this makes it easier for me to make chassis and suspension changes.

• Double wishbone rear suspension is a plus as it's a lot more adjustable than a Jag IRS or a live axle.
Cons:

• The body doesn't have a neatly molded door sill like many do. This makes trimming the carpet around this area a bit untidy. However it could be said that the original cars didn't have much of a door sill either.
  • I think the wheel arches are a little too large in diameter. Not a big issue and you don't notice it so much if you sit the car at the right height. Also some don't like the large front wheel flares (I like 'em)
  • Despite it's strength the body does flex a bit too much in some areas (at least mine does). It's a bit to thin across the top of the dash and across the top of the body behind the cabin. However I've seen there is some inconsistency between bodies as others have heaps of material there. Perhaps it depends on who's laying the fiberglass that day. This is not a major issue as I can lay some extra core mat and glass in there myself.
  • Body alignment. Some have found the body out of whack on the chassis from left to right. This can be a pain to correct as it requires re drilling the body mounting holes. It's not fun to find when you are a good way through your build. Normally discovered when you bolt the wheels on for the first time. Mine wasn't too bad but others have had dramas.
  • Ford AU IRS has cast steel arms which are very heavy. The geometry is not real good for bump steer. The Ford diff center only has a 7.5" crown wheel which has been known to break. I personally know of 2 cars that have broken diffs. All of this can be corrected with a bit of work.
  • The wheel offsets on the CR may not suit some. There is very little dish on the rear wheels due to the wide Ford rear end used. This gives a more modern look that really only suits larger diameter rims. It looks a bit odd with traditional 15" wheels. It also limits your wheel choices to custom built wheels.
There's probably a lot of other pros and cons I could list but these are what I can think of at the moment.

So rather than just bagging cars I challenge they guys on here to analyze their own kit and choices and come up with a list.

Cheers

Old 05-25-2010, 03:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Mike. It's not painted in those pic's (still not today), It is as out of G-Force mould and buffed with cutting compound. Apparently their new body is even better. A few blemishes though, if you look close you can see the door skins are concave.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289 USRRC #98 The Ken Miles Tribute Car
Not Ranked     

Good call Dave and Mike,
I thought it was just a **** slinging match by OZCOBRA but it looks like it has settled down a bit. My build is simple. I Have thought about all ways to get a Cobra in my garage since 1988 when I first saw one. The opportunity arose though a mates misfortune and I was offered an unfinished or should I say a rolling chassis kit in 2003.
I knew nothing about building cars and less about bumpsteer, suspension geometry, correct shape,nothing, but I had a Cobra kit in my shed at long last. It is an Evans kit and has its faults but anything can be rectified along the way but after three and half years of building and three and a half of driving with a few track days and Shelby Fests and Nationals trouble free under it's belt, I am proud of what I have sitting here.
So Tone pick any kit and build it, whats right with one with be wrong with the other. The thing I wished I had would be able to contact the supplier but Evans had gone out of business when I started so that would be a big thing in my view. Go for it.
F#%k I sound like the JD's have cut in!
Cheers
Old 05-25-2010, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Dave it looks pretty good and the specs read impressive. When I bought my RMC my engineer cringed and said I have bought a lemon, like the crown chassis version. When he came over to inspect the chassis he was relieved to see that it had a double rail chassis. Not the single rail that was on the original RMC's. He explained that the bending and torsion test would not pass a single rail chassis in NSW and also commented that the crown chassis had to be modified so that would create more engineering problems for NSW ICV standards. That was the first of many hurdles that I had to jump...that one was easy. I congratulate you on producing a fine looking and performing vehicle.
Good info .....
Old 05-25-2010, 04:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't have an attitude problem...you have a perception problem!....I like that QUOTE......Certainly no sh!t slinging mate...Just sharing the love that abounds in this wonderful community!!!

The problem here alot of the time is that people are too scared to voice it honestly so they are not the one who OUTS the bad dealing or the bad design they are all happy to chime in once somebody else does it just in case they bump into them at the Nationals.

For warned is for armed and if guys are shelling out 10,20,30k for a kit and they get a little dirt about the dealings of certain individuals so be it..it might potentially save them some heart ache down the track.

...pick any kit and build it, whats right with one with be wrong with the other..and the more wrongs or the erks that annoy people in their cars maybe the new buyers down the track will have a better overall product to chose from.
.. as VICTOR pointed out he bought the car and then found out about the shape issue and said WTF, now if he had the same information that Tony has got from the replies in his poll thread VICTOR might well have bought another Cobra and not his DRB..in the end VICTOR loves the car he has!!!......

.....and Tony might yet buy a DRB

M2CW

OZ..

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-25-2010, 04:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB "Rough as Guts"
Not Ranked     

Any coments about the DAX ,My brother Micheal built his.Was red and a bigblock.Was sold to some chap in Melbourne.Hey David yours is nice.Well done.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor View Post
Any coments about the DAX ,My brother Micheal built his.Was red and a bigblock.Was sold to some chap in Melbourne.Hey David yours is nice.Well done.
Victor,

How Long ago???I know of 2 Red Dax's both Big Blocks.
One I see regularly at the Cafe I frequent.

OZ

Old 05-25-2010, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB "Rough as Guts"
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZCOBRA View Post
Victor,

How Long ago???I know of 2 Red Dax's both Big Blocks.
One I see regularly at the Cafe I frequent.

OZ
About 3 years ago, had a 460 in her, the chap drove up to redcliffe and took it back on a trailer,
Old 05-25-2010, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

OK OZ, we know the DRB body shape is off, it's been discussed before. Tell us about your Homebush. Pros-Cons etc

Old 05-25-2010, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There's always entertainment in a bit of slinging, maybe this ones gone a bit off topic. We all agree there's issues with every kit, some body shape, some with build difficulty, some with poor suspension geometry.

Like BJ's say's, you can overcome a lot of this, if you have the patience, skills, and determination. If not, useful feed back as Mike says, is always valuable to someone starting with a clean slate. I think Tone should have asked for this instead of a poll judging the kits. I hope there's some good info for you Tone.

Even with the skills I have, to have completed mine from a basic body and chassis, with no instruction manual and NO INTERNET, was not too difficult, however next time even I would probably choose something that was well thought through, and with readily available bits, like Harrison or maybe CR, I think G-Force MKII is still worth a look also. There are however a couple out there that have not kept up with R&D and body quality.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ?????
Not Ranked     

Hi Dave

thanks - I have got some useful info - most of it confirms where I was leaning. One car I had not looked into is 'Python' - I will do a bit of research there too now.

The poll was meant to be a bit of fun - but does point me in the same direction as most of the comments really.

Maybe I should start a 'Chev or Ford donk' poll???

Thanks again everyone

Tone
(Trouble making newbie...?)
Old 05-25-2010, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonus72 View Post
Maybe I should start a 'Chev or Ford donk' poll???

Thanks again everyone

Tone
(Trouble making newbie...?)

Oh god no

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike,
At the moment I have 2 Homebushs ...1 a complete roller I bought off Fleabay 8mths ago(bargain priced)...The other is a COMPLETE BODY around 6yrs old.. at the at the moment sitting on what was a RCM chassis that has been completely re-jigged...this is going and a purpose built space frame not too far removed from a JBL on its way!!

Reasons for the Homebush fascination....

*Pricing was Great!!!!
*Body was being produced By a Well known and
* MINIMAL body prep on his bodys and re-enforced in stress areas upto 10mm.
*Inner guards and Boot are formed and finished well though front inners are profiled for his Torana based Chassis.
* Styling..
*Wheel arches have a nice formed lip.
*Though one of the Vent holes is around 30mm out of posi to the other side,I have corrected.
*nicely shaped HardTop available.
*NO build manual as such ...
*No real support except for a phone call to Mr. Crane and a willingness to answer any query!...With Doug Pearce about anything is fixable!!!

*2nd Car Chassis..

* is Torana based Ladder /Spaceframe.
a good geometry to work with.(Peter Duncan's SNAKEN seems to suggest it's a good platform to work with!)
*Live axle rear.

So I hope this MEETS the definition of constructive INPUT..

OZ

Last edited by OZCOBRA; 05-25-2010 at 05:06 PM..
Old 05-25-2010, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike,
At the moment I have 2 Homebushs ...1 a complete roller I bought off Fleabay 8mths ago(bargain priced)...The other is a COMPLETE BODY at the at the moment sitting on what was a RCM chassis that has been completely rejigged...this is going and a purpose built space frame not too far removed from a JBL on its way!!

Reasons for the Homebush fascination....
*Pricing was GREAT!!!
*Body was being Produced buy a well known an respected Fibre-Glassing Bussiness (30 +yrs)
* MINIMAL body prep on his bodys and re-enforced in stress areas upto 10mm.
*Inner guards and Boot are formed and finished well though front inners are profiled for his Torana based Chassis.
* Styling..
*Wheel arches have a nice formed lip.
*Though one of the Vent holes is around 30mm out of posi to the other side,I have corrected.
*nicely shaped HardTop available.
*NO build manual as such ...
*No real support except for a phone call to Mr. Crane and a willingness to answer any query!...With Doug Pearce about anything is fixable!!!

*2nd Car Chassis..

* is Torana based Ladder /Spaceframe.
a good geometry to work with.(Peter Duncan's SNAKEN seems to suggest it's a good platform to work with!)
*Live axle rear.

So I hope this MEETS the definition of constructive INPUT..

OZ

Old 05-25-2010, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

OZCOBRA, that roller sounds like the one that JC was duped on? Blue with white stripes from memory.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/blog...=recent&page=2