Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 01-16-2011, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     
Default NSW RTA to meet within two weeks to formulate Policy for I.C.V's

My Engineer successfully inspected my Cobra again last Wednesday, hopefully for the last time, to ensure that everything that the RTA rejected last May, was now complient.

He informed me that the NSW RTA have formulated a high level meeting which will occur within two weeks, to formulate Policy for the consruction and inspection of all I.C.V's within this State.

Hellooo...... Haven't they been inspecting I.C.V's in this State for over 10 years? Have these inspections, negative and sometimes positive if your lucky, been done without any Policy whatsoever? Makes you wonder.

It would be great if a couple of members of the SVMGA could attend.

Rumour has it that there is over 160 I.C.V's in NSW waiting for RTA inspection or further inspection in NSW.

Rumour also has it that not one ICV was passed by the RTA during 2010.

If anyone has heard of anything to the contrary, I would appreciate that ammunition as a P.M. please.

Baz
Old 01-16-2011, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

I have not heard anything about this falling apart.

The ASRF - Australian Street Rod Federation Victoria - has had for many years registration and permits. The 'SR' plate often referred to as 'Street Rod' registration in fact is 'Special Registration' has existed for years.

This was under the control of Con M. in Victoria who held the plates and the check process close to 'his heart' working for registration authorities.

The ASRF have a pre '48 register and this is what is referred too. The current permit scheme in the pipe is either for 45 days or 90 days. It runs in blocks of 24 hours.

An interested person joins an automotive club and that club then signs off on the vehicle for the permit scheme.

The owner has a log book and must fill it out prior to moving the vehicle - again a 24 hour block - This log book must be fully completed prior to moving the vehicle.

If apprehended driving the vehicle without the log book completed the driver faces a fine for unregistered vehicle. The automotive club may also face action.

The quality and interest in the sport of those involved I feel would not see it fall apart.
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 01-16-2011, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Maybe they should also involve the NSW Police? Would be nice to get some shared understanding on the issue.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Baz

Hi mate.

Your 'Post' came online just as I was also responding.

Your spot on there are a number of vehicles parked waiting for registration. I have heard that there are four $100,000 plus dollar cars sitting waiting for their VIN numbers in Victoria. That is four that I know of.

What the hell is going on when people have cars sitting and waiting for a 'VIN' number. I bet this would not be the case for the big manufacturers.

It appears that guidelines for these vehicles would not be that hard to put in place. But one wonders when this 'has been ongoing for over 30 years' - to quote Larry O from the Street Rod community at Castlemaine. Victoria.

I wonder just how big this industry would be and how many jobs would be created if ICV's were an option and not not a path of despair and wasted dollars.

Bernie
Old 01-16-2011, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Merv and Sharon

Merv,

I have spoken at length with the Police in Victoria.

During the Python days - GV Automotive - I was involved at State Government level on loan to the Kennett Government from Shell Australia working closely with State Ministers and the Premiers various Departments.

At the time we organised Jeff Craig the then Minister for Roads and Ports to launch the GV Race Team. This was done one evening in South Melbourne. No big fan fare just a group who shared similiar interests.

George organised press and television coverage and had some very high profile people there.

I can remember clearly a comment about getting Police involved and the reply was that the Police are not law makers but law enforcement. That they focus on enforcing law rather than being at the other end of the chain.

Not sure if that is current thinking, but it was the case then under the then Chief Commissioner of Police, who would not allow Police members to be involved.

You could try for N.S.W though...
Old 01-16-2011, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Bernie, the 90 day scheme has been in place for over 12 months in the NT, maybe we where used as a test bed?
But at the meeting I attended it was laid out pretty clearly that the rules to follow are
Your 90 days is actually broken down to be, 60 days driving in club sanctioned events, this includes driving to and from the event.
And 30 days free time for the owner to use as he/she wishes.
As you state, a day is the 24 hours from midnight to midnight, so if you drive to a mates house and stay the night, then drive home next morning, that is classed as 2 days (even if less than 24 hours apart)
The log book must be filled out before you leave the property where vehicle is located.
They did not elaborate on this so I have allways filled out a start time and odo reading before leaving, then at the end of the day fill out odo reading and route taken.

If you are caught not following the rules, first offence is a fine, second offence is plates removed. If there is 3 cases within a 12 month period, the club will lose the rights to issue plates (so all members will want your nuts on a plate) and if the club loses its right to issue plates, all members in the club will lose there plates, as the plates are issued by the MVR on behalf of the club.
We where advised they where a direct replacement for the "Club plate system" and I was told that this relates to all vehicles over 30 years old, or is a replica of such vehicle. So Cobra was ok for system.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes Dave in Victoria it has been op0erational for years also.

The 'CH' plate - Classic Historical - is one such plate as well as the mentioned 'SR' - Special registration. 'P' Permit Plate is another club type plate.

The 'CH' plates are issued by club to vehicles of members only. They have the similiar restrictions that you mention in NT.

Seems this new permit scheme may see all these plates taken back and a new plate issued. I am not involved in any working party these days, so I am only going on what has been sent to me etc.

Can only wait and see what happens.

Bernie
Old 01-16-2011, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Hi All,

As per the authority... and just released in Dec 2010.
I wouldn't have thought that they'd change their minds in on Month that included all the fat cats on holiday leave... or would they?

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...A4Flyer_v4.pdf

What am I missing?

Anth
Old 01-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

the amended regulations for Victoria are here:

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&so...oTyUARtVnQ-o_w

VicRoads decided to separate the issue of replicas from the operation of the club permit system. This suggestion was contained in the submission from the Cobra Car Club of Victoria however it is unclear whether this was an influencing factor.

Personally, I suspect that the seperation was more about getting the 45/90 day permits into operation - thus placating the old men who carry on like old women viz a viz the legality of operating under a permit.

enjoy

LoBelly

Last edited by LoBelly; 01-16-2011 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: for Victoria - qualifier added
Old 01-16-2011, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Lobelly,

So I could in principle buy a Kirkham and register here on club plates? No?

See Part 3.4 - 152 Definitions of eligible vehicles point (d)

It really shouldn't be this difficult.

Many thanks for you input.

Anth
Old 01-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Hi Lobelly,

So I could in principle buy a Kirkham and register here on club plates? No?

blah blah blah...

Anth
Yes - it is a temptation I am constantly fighting.

But - depending on the completeness of the Kirkham other restrictions may apply

Also - The discussion paper put out by VicRoads on changes to the Club Permit system did not disclose all the proposed changes.

Most of the changes are being driven by the Vintage mob who are somewhat hostile to replicas and I would say that the legislative risk in direction of the changes is high if that is your intention.

LoBelly
Old 01-16-2011, 09:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thx LoBelly,

PM sent.

Cheers,
Anth
Old 01-17-2011, 03:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     
Default What Triggered it?

Im not sure if it has been discussed before, apart from some mention of RTA concerns about "dodgy" engineers, what has triggered this situation we (in NSW especially) find ourselves in? Has there been a spate of ICV accidents? Defects? Complaints? Impounded cars or hoons? Too much bragging on the forums about bits falling off after rego perhaps, or just too much whining about a system that was a little difficult, but is now virtually impossible to navigate?
Old 01-17-2011, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     
Default The Million Dollar Question!

I would be confident that the stats would actually work in our favour. Thats is why they are never published.

Phil
Old 01-17-2011, 08:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans kit, 6 litre, 6 speed, Jag F/R,
Not Ranked     

Hey guys,
pardon my ignorance in this matter, but, is there a permit system available in Qld for testing and evaluation of a vehicle? I have my new booster and would like to test the brake efficiency to confirm I am within the ballpark of acceptability. I have 2 neighbours that are total knobs so need to flout the law as little as possible. Drag strips and race tracks are not available within a 400km radius to my knowledge.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans kit, 6 litre, 6 speed, Jag F/R,
Not Ranked     

Sigh, Oh well, spoke with Qld transport. Seems the only permit option is to use the unregistered vehicle permit system, normally used to move from point A to point B but also can be used to effect a repair on a vehicle.
Cost is $76 for a weeks compulsorty 3rd party insurance and $26 a day for the permit, that equals $258 for 7 days.
Not a cost effective excercise.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Wow - at east that is something the NSW RTA has right. Fee for 5 days is around $25. Its a permit fee of around $20, and I think 3rd party contributes a dollarish a day. Have to get a pink slip first which adds $33 to the cost.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: