Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 01-24-2011, 10:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 90 day rego

Why is the cobra guys not using the new 90 rego scheme $100 a year rego cost and no engineer report.
ps How drives there cobra more than 90 days a year
Old 01-24-2011, 11:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I drive mine more than 30 (the actual number of days you can drive in none sanctioned events or trips).

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
I drive mine more than 30 (the actual number of days you can drive in none sanctioned events or trips).
The new 90 day(Log booked) is unlimited for any type of driving(sanctioned or otherwise)..in Victoria..and is in effect from Feb 2011 once log books are issued.

Vic roads says that they maintain that the Club Permit Scheme is for standard and lightly modified vehicles 25 yrs or older ...The definition of Replica has also been tightened!!!

IF THE COBRA CAR CLUB WERE ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE...it would issue plates on the basis of the following

Vehicles must be presented with an eye to what is deemed to be acceptable for full registration.........(ROADWORTHY)
Heavy modifications to brakes, engines, suspension etc must be supported by an engineers report, CLUB committee will then assess eligibility.

Join the Cobra Club and remain full and financial for the life of the permit
Complete an application for Permit Plate and send to Permit Secretary for review
Provide a RWC or have one of the Cobra Club Scruntineers assess the vehicle for eligibility/safety
Take signed permit application (signed off by Cobra Club Permit plate secretary) with RWC or letter issued by the Club to Vic roads for issue of the plate.

No log book entry is required for vehicle use within 100 mtrs of garaged address.

OZ

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by OZCOBRA; 01-25-2011 at 05:21 AM..
Old 01-25-2011, 04:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

The Cobra Car Club of Victoria is a participant in the Club Permit Scheme.

The club has a number of members who's Cobra replicas are participants in the scheme - as am I.

There are a number of builds going on where the Club Permit is likely to be the only avenue for operating the vehicle - one of our members has a NOS 428CJ he's putting together

The 2011 permit fee is $114.40 and allows 90 days free use with each days use to be pre-registered in a log book provided by VicRoads

The proposed rules changes to the definition of a replica would have been disasterous for us. In the CCCV submission we asked that they not proceed in conjunction with the 90 day permit change and so far they haven't.

The issue is that the only place that 'replica' is defined and acceptable is in the Club Permit section of the Regulations - I understand that VicRoads is looking at this but we dont have a seat at that table.

If you are interested in operating your cobra on the club permit system and are a member of the CCCV the club will be happy to assist you within the bounds of the rules.

ta
LoBelly
Old 01-25-2011, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZCOBRA View Post
e
IF THE COBRA CAR CLUB WERE ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE...
Lobelly.

I highlighted this as I didn't know if the CCCV was an active participant in the scheme in either its present or past form..
I heard Doug was quite disappointed with the outcomes at the SVGMA after all the work that had been put into its submissions...
It sure would be a shame to have this avenue unavailable for those cars that would benefit from it....

I really need to pay my membership.....

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by OZCOBRA; 01-25-2011 at 05:22 AM..
Old 01-25-2011, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBelly View Post
The Cobra Car Club of Victoria is a participant in the Club Permit Scheme....

The issue is that the only place that 'replica' is defined and acceptable is in the Club Permit section of the Regulations - I understand that VicRoads is looking at this but we dont have a seat at that table.
How do we get a seat on the table???
...seems like the next obvious question.

Kindest regards,
Old 01-25-2011, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Who do we lobbey?
Who can we nominate?

Basically, what can we do to help?

(sorry for my ignorance, but keen to help where I can!)
Old 01-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

just say u get someone from the club to sign the car as roadworthy
does the person who signs it need insurance hehehehe

imagine if a car gets passed and has something fail and does all this damage or kill ssomeone

i recently saw pdf file at rta website where they were taking applications for
engineers
i doubt many will apply
as afew retired or left last year

www.sideshowsperformancewiring.com.au
Old 01-25-2011, 11:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

.....Vehicles must be presented with an eye to what is deemed to be acceptable for full registration.(ROADWORTHY)

...and maybe any insurance would be handled through the Club or Vic Roads, probably a good question that could be answered by those whom control it at the CCCV.

...you would have to agree that 99.9 % of the vehicles in the Australian clubs are very well maintained and in most cases over-engineered and Roadworthy even those major failures are very rare.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshow View Post

i recently saw pdf file at rta website where they were taking applications for
engineers
i doubt many will apply
as afew retired or left last year
Yes this is correct. All engineers have to reapply to be a signatory. I checked with my engineer that he would be doing this before starting with him. There has been a pilot of the new scheme running for quite a few years with about 6 engineers involved (i am using one of them). The pilot scheme required the build to be pre registered with the RTA to recieve an RTA ICV number. My engineer completed the application and i have this number. You still have to comply with the rules in force on the day, but my engineer suggested that should the rules change before final presentation, i could use the ICV number to help plead my case for an exemption. I have no idea if this number will still be valid with the new scheme but i hope so because it cost me about $250 of the engineers time.

I am predicting (hoping) that once the RTA have reselected the list they will regain their confidence in the engineers and things will settle down again in NSW. I believe there are some changes to insurance requirements for the engineers also. There is an engineer on the clubby forum who has applied and has been keeping the forum up to date with correspondance from the RTA.

It was suggested to me that a contributor to the recent problems with no one passing in NSW was due to inspectors concerned with their personal liability. I know of a car that was knocked back for additional issues on the second inspection that werent raised on the first inspection.

Oh well, time will tell.....Perhaps i will join the Vic club to take advantage of the permit system.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

yes well insurance is a totally differnet kettle of fish
i just finished wiring a rally car
customer said the ring up for a day rego is going
so they r bringing a yearly rego but limited
and u need cams licence etc etc
its all getting to complicated
rta aint helping either
im half way thru wiring another show car by a well know builder and he was saying in afew years u wont be able to do jack which is a shame

www.sideshowsperformancewiring.com.au
Old 01-26-2011, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Liam,

As you can imagine, I'm really interested in reading what the RTA have to say. Could you give me the clubbies forum web site please?

Kevin Humphries made his last inspection on my car 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for his final report tio the RTA - Copy CC'd to me. Will ring him today and give him a bit of a spray. Patience is a virtue.

Baz
Old 01-27-2011, 12:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #69, HSV LS2, T56, Custom rear suspension
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Liam,

As you can imagine, I'm really interested in reading what the RTA have to say. Could you give me the clubbies forum web site please?

Kevin Humphries made his last inspection on my car 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for his final report tio the RTA - Copy CC'd to me. Will ring him today and give him a bit of a spray. Patience is a virtue.

Baz
Here you go Baz, Oz Clubbies

Cheers
Old 01-27-2011, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

My Cobra rego is due on the 9th Feb, I might check with the local club president if he knows if the NT rego scheme is going to 90 open days, if so then i may switch over.

I plan on having the car off the road for a big part of this year.

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival Kobra,LS7 427
Not Ranked     

Hi Boxhead
The date of manufactor means you will get the 3year,then 2year till its 10 years old scheme up here so if you go over the pits you will get to skip a year for inspection
Old 01-28-2011, 02:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Not sure here..

If the vehicle has this registration is use limited only to Victoria - Victorian Roads only..
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 01-28-2011, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
Yes this is correct. All engineers have to reapply to be a signatory. I checked with my engineer that he would be doing this before starting with him. There has been a pilot of the new scheme running for quite a few years with about 6 engineers involved (i am using one of them). The pilot scheme required the build to be pre registered with the RTA to recieve an RTA ICV number. My engineer completed the application and i have this number. You still have to comply with the rules in force on the day, but my engineer suggested that should the rules change before final presentation, i could use the ICV number to help plead my case for an exemption. I have no idea if this number will still be valid with the new scheme but i hope so because it cost me about $250 of the engineers time.

I am predicting (hoping) that once the RTA have reselected the list they will regain their confidence in the engineers and things will settle down again in NSW. I believe there are some changes to insurance requirements for the engineers also. There is an engineer on the clubby forum who has applied and has been keeping the forum up to date with correspondance from the RTA.

It was suggested to me that a contributor to the recent problems with no one passing in NSW was due to inspectors concerned with their personal liability. I know of a car that was knocked back for additional issues on the second inspection that werent raised on the first inspection.

Oh well, time will tell.....Perhaps i will join the Vic club to take advantage of the permit system.
Yeah, My engineer told me years ago that he was getting out because the RTA wanted them each to take out something like a 10 million dollar policy and that it would cost him more than his yearly take on ICVs etc.
The old story goes that a hot rodder crashed his rod and the missus lost the unborn. He sued the engineer who sued the RTA. The RTA became very scared of litigation. Hence their strict rules.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 302 Ford HO Block
Not Ranked     

Last time I read about club rego, you could only drive the car for club sanctioned events. I did ring Grafton RTA but the officer was on an RDO and never returned my call and I never followed it up. I was going to ask them about what was involved in getting the NSW Cobra club recognised so that this avenue was available. Or start my own branch :?
Old 01-28-2011, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In talking to local car club president, he has not heard of any changes coming to the NT, so I have a week to decide what I will do regarding rego.

He also mentioned each state or territory runs it differently, he said we have 8 different countries, not 8 states or territories.

Cruising in 5th

Old 01-28-2011, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison supercharged
Send a message via MSN to hsv300 Send a message via Skype™ to hsv300
Not Ranked     

Can you get the 90 day rego in Qld?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: