Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

So in amongst the flaming, did we establish if the controllers will pass emmissions when some decent cats are used?
Old 04-19-2011, 01:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Considering the car will have to go through the IM240 test there's a good chance it will. To my understanding IM240 is as stringent as Euro3.

others may know more.

Cheers

Old 04-19-2011, 01:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to Doubledip
Not Ranked     

the e38 controller will make the engineers happy (as it is what is in the latest commodore)

the tunes that are used are normally stock

as long as you run new "FACTORY" catalytics and not aftermarket ones it should pass.... ask BAZ passed with flying colours... now i have heard a few fail here and there...

what i have learnt (but this can add up) is prepare to spend a little bit more money (and this will help for track days) and purchase a autocal or the likes and this will allow multiple tunes. Then have your tuner first up dyno you car for E85... no emissions passes with flying colours.. then go back at a later dat and have a 98 and e10 tune done... the boxes can hold 4 tunes so u can have your e10, 98 and e85 tunes there and can flash them back and forth depending on fuel used (e85 for track days - bit extra HP) and e10 for you sunday cruising (as it is easy to purchase any where)

just my opinion
Old 04-19-2011, 02:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: have brakes, diff, gearbox, steering rack, gear stick, door locks, CR chassis 3518
Not Ranked     

Watch the E85 makes things like fuel pumps and steel fuel tanks rust have seen what it has done to a mates brand new fuel pump and clean tank this was after only about three months.

In my case E85 doesnt guarantee a IM240 pass mine still failed last test i had done before christmas but saying that my motor was far from stock with aftermarket computer.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to Doubledip
Not Ranked     

Interesting... about yours failing... have heard many tune shops say (reputable ones as well for LS engines) its easy to make a car pass on e85 no mater whats done as the ethanol burns cleanly

as for the corrosiveness along as you run normal fuel through now and then and dont let you car sit there for extended periods of time it will be all good
Old 04-19-2011, 02:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
Considering the car will have to go through the IM240 test there's a good chance it will. To my understanding IM240 is as stringent as Euro3.

others may know more.

Cheers
Mike, i seem to hear more mexicans having problems with this than people from NSW. Are the leves different in Vic? No wanting to go into the other thread about IM240 but it seams a lot is to do with position of cats and temps more than anything.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival Kobra,LS7 427
Not Ranked     

Hi Dave W
My advice is to see what year LS7 throttle body you have as GM has changed them around 08/09. You can either go with the ZO6 set up or the VE setup, GM use differnt connectors to Holden so if you go the VE way you will be best to ring Justin(double dip) and get him to make up ALL of you Harness as the ZO6 engine harness wont connect to the VE harness. If you go the ZO6 way you will need the EBSCM and the BCM but you can buy the ZO6 Harness from GM new and for a reasonable price.
The GM ancillery kit is by far the cheapest way, you can get the ZO6 or commodore style set ups.
The E38 has 2 connectors the E67 has 3. I went with the E38 as my engineer wanted Complete GM set up so I didnt have to do any emissions tests other than a noise test for my side pipes.
I would go with the E38 and sent it to Justin so he can put a LS7 tune in it not a VE 6L!!!. He then will set up everything that the ECU will need to run. I got the factory ZO6 tune with the usual things disabled as required. At 505hp in a 1100KG car you dont need to chase more HP with "hot" tunes. so stick with the ZO6 tune or W427 tune if you go the VE route.
I went with a mafless tune as I didnt have room in my intake pipe as the ZO6 sensor requires 5 inches of straight pipe and cost $350 us. I used a F body IAT, they are the plastic threaded styles ones.
You can also run MRC if you want to get the magnetic shock setup

Last edited by alffie; 04-19-2011 at 02:36 AM..
Old 04-19-2011, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

Alffie,
Thanks mate, thats about the best direction i've had all day,
I bought the crate engine from the US, i believe its a Z06 spec, part number is 19211710
I bought a package deal which included Controller Kit, accessories drive kit and Dry sump kit.

How do i tell which throttle body it is ?
I intend to go with the factory & mafless tune,

What is EBSCM and BCM and IAT, excuse my ignorance, but got to start some where.

Dave
Old 04-19-2011, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

BCM = Body Control Module
IAT = Intake Air Temp
Not sure but I think EBSCM = Electronic Brake Stability Control Module

Someone correct me if I have the last one wrong.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

I think he means EBCM, is electronic brake control module
BCM is body control module
IAT is inlet air temperarture (sensor)
Old 04-19-2011, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DaveW
You have the 09 on LS7 so I hope you got the 19243066 controller kit.
Electronic Brake Suspension Control Module is what runs the ESC,ABS,MRC,TC in the ZO6 and the BCM runs the cruise control with the ECU aswell.
If you got the GMPP controller kit you may not be able to run ABS and TC etc as you will have the E67 ECU which Iam not sure will talk to the BCM or EBSCM.
Good luck fitting the oil tank it took me quite a while to find a place that it would fit!!!! it is the lowest thing on the car and just clears the bonnet!! I got the oil lines and cut off the fittings and got a welder to weld on -12 alloy weld on fittings and used -12 braided lines as I couldnt use the GM lines.
IAT is Inlet Air Temp and Body Control Module.
It depends where you want your ECU to sit as the GMPP harness is one size fits all so it may need to "trimed" to look nice and neat depending on where you want to put your fusebox,ECU etc.
If you want to run cruise control and abs etc you might be better off selling your GMPP controller install kit and going either the ZO6 harness BCM,etc or getting Justin(double dip) to make a harness and set up a E38 for you with VE bits. Either way Justin is the best guy for setting up ECUs for conversions that Ive found. Also make sure when you get a gearbox that they use a LS7 bellhousing and imput shaft as they are differnt.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #69, HSV LS2, T56, Custom rear suspension
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
krait,

Can I ask how much you were quoted?

thanks

steve
Sorry Steve, I didn't ask for a quote.....I want to try and stay with the GM ECU and told Kinsler that this was my requirement.

Cheers
Old 04-19-2011, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #69, HSV LS2, T56, Custom rear suspension
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
Krait

I haven't spoken with Kinsler, just assumed from some pics that it had a DBW ability due to the mounting on the front of the throttle linkage, see below, what would this be for then, throttle position ?
I agree with Mike and Double Dip in that it's for the TPS.

Cheers
Old 04-19-2011, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

Alffie,
The engine docs i've got have 2 part numbers listed.
Actual stated as "19211710/19244098

The ECU is part number 12597121, has 2 connectors on it, not 3 like the e67
Wiring Harness has part number 19202595
Looking like I've got the wrong ECU for the engine ?
or the wrong engine for the ECU.
Comes with O2 sensors, mountings, Maf bits and pieces etc, pedal assy,

Re the DS Tank, it's huge, was wondering the same,

I've started some dialog offline.
Time to start afresh, see whats salvageable, change the bits that don't meet the requirement, flog off the remaining bits to some other unsuspecting nong on the commodore sites.

Dave
Old 04-19-2011, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
So in amongst the flaming, did we establish if the controllers will pass emmissions when some decent cats are used?
My completely uneducated opinion:

Any ECU on a gen 4 chev can be tuned to pass emissions providing the same sensors are used. The way I look at it, the ECU controls a number of things based on what information it received from the sensors on the engine. The tune within the ECU determines the outputs. To say a loom or ecu is not "emissions compliant" is not correct IMO (the tune may not be). As far as the engineer is concerned, the only important thing is that you have the piece of paper from the testing facility saying it passes. He shouldnt be worried about which wires go where or whether your ECU has 2 or 3 plugs.

Cheers
Old 04-19-2011, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Tenrocca,
I think 2 threads have ended up as one, i started the post to understand what was needed to get ABS / Cruise / Traction control operating, Its evolved into What/How ECU is required to get LS7 going, and integration with ABS...etc etc,

And then along the way came emissions and cats, so sort of crossed threads at moment.

Dave
Old 04-19-2011, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
Mike, i seem to hear more mexicans having problems with this than people from NSW. Are the leves different in Vic? No wanting to go into the other thread about IM240 but it seams a lot is to do with position of cats and temps more than anything.
Current requirements in VIC are 50% of 37/01. Looks to be changing back to full 37/01 soon, which will help with passing.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave,

Any reason for running traction control and ABS. I turn off the traction control in vehicles that I have driven and I don’t like the feel of ABS, soft pedal. One of the things that I like about the cobra is the un boosted brakes, it has a nostalgic feel about it and the thing stops just fine.

In relation to manifolds, the LSXR works well with an 102 throttle body. It’s basically a cross ram manifold inside.

steve
Old 04-19-2011, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Kanga,

I actually only want to put cruise control on, but as i've been collecting bits and restoring / cleaning etc, all the bits i've got have sensors in them, and at the wreckers, the things that dont get sold seem to be wiring looms, brake / fuel lines, abs controllers etc.
When i bought my VZ knuckles and hub assemblies, the owner told me he cant give that stuff away, so its off to sims in the shell, hence i got a near new VE GTS 4 channel controller for nothing.

I thought, well if the stuffs just about free, what do i do to get it running.
Not a priority, just interested, but the cruise i definitely want, its just whether i go OE or aftermarket.

The hard part is finding out what you actually need.
Just want someone to you say "you need this that and the other, plug it in, go and see this person"
Which is pretty much what Alffie said.

Dave

Last edited by DaveW; 04-19-2011 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: added more crap
Old 04-20-2011, 02:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DaveW
Looks like you have a E38 ECU as 12597121 is the same P/N as mine, it will have E38 cast into it on the finned side. Look at your harness it might have 3 connectors for the ECU if it has 2 you will be fine, Justin will be able to put any tune in the E38 that can use a BCM so you will have cruise. Does the "new" CR still use the Barina collum? You might be able to fit Late model Commodore cruise switches but you can use any that will suite your interior.
The P/N for your LS7 is 09 on. Dont forget you will need to prime the LS7 before you crank it as the oil pump will not pick up oil on first crank from factory!!!!!!and read the instructions on checking the oil as the LS7 hides a litre in the engine.
If you can get a VE harness and BCM and pedal for next to nothing you should be able to set up cruise for not much. Ring Justin and ask him what you need he will be able to set it up no problem.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: