Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Excellent and thanks Derek. That looks the way to go. The length of your look fine to me. The attachment photos are very useful.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VSE alum. frame, FFR carbonfiber body (under construction)
Not Ranked     

Historical footnote: The movie "Bad Boys" used 2 Cobras in the filming. One was a Trailer Queen used in all the close up shots. The 2nd was a VSE frame and suspension (Herb Adams) Cobra that was used for all the high speed and the "spin out" at the end of the movie. The VSE Cobra had non-functional (dummy) side pipes. So you're in good company.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncobra View Post
Merv
The pipes are 100mm in diameter.
The fixing was a challenge......I'm too embarrassed to take a pic of the temporary bush mechanic method that I employed, only to say it involved a hose clamp and fencing wire Fortunately it is out of sight down there and only I know
It's solid as a rock though!
To do it neatly needs welding and fabrication, a job for later on with my mates mig.

Boxy
Sorry, I'm not sure what you're referring to, I guess it's body length, I measure 57" along the door sill between the guards.

Modena
Yeah about 4" short of the end of the sill.....no big deal for me. I wonder if the factory five cars that the pipes are off are shorter.

JBCOBRA
There was probably no point in trimming in leather, adding an offside mirror, having all those gauges, running 'hallibrand' wheels, etc etc etc in fact my wife can't see any point in the whole bluddy car.....
I was reffering to the wheel base, but I see you have said yours is 100mm longer so it will be a 94 inch wheel base as opposed to a 90 inch (original) wheel base.
Hence the pipes being 4 inches short.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.

Last edited by boxhead; 05-29-2011 at 04:36 AM..
Old 05-29-2011, 11:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Guys,

Can anyone direct me to the legality of side pipes in Victoria?

Tom.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Tom, my understanding is that the driver's side pipe is legal but not passenger side, eg, where fumes exit to the footpath. Also wouldn't be easy to pass engineering with working side pipes that meet Euro 4 emissions and the 89dB noise limit.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

Another question:

I want to coat my steel pipes and have a matt or satin black finish. Considering that these are non active pipes, what coating/s should I use? Current considerations include powder coating, painting, POR 15, etc. I was thinking that powder coating may chip more easily than paint?

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Merv I guess you can touch up acrylic paint a lot more easily than powdercoat. However if they're dipped they won't rust from the inside out.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Powder coating is a good choice BUT you have to find a coater that knows what he is doing. The metal must be correctly prepared and the coating must be the right one. There are two types of coating...thermoplastic and thermoset. I can't remember but one is more flexible than the other...you want the flexible one. Most of the top hotrod and muscle car builders prefer powder coating for their chassis etc. One thing is to ask the coater about the process for coating aluminium. It must be cooked at high temp before coating to burn out the oxides and impurities to prevent oxidization later. You can see this lack of pre-treatment on flyscreen doors and security grills that have turned flakey and have a furry white mess on them. This is a good sign that the coater didn't know the process or was too tight to do it right. I had a floor jack coated and a week after I took it to be coated (nicely bead blasted and shiny clean) I went back to take more bits to be done. The jack was just where I left it and rusty. When I collected the finished product it looked 'Fat' The coating was too thick. It chipped on the sharper edges but all scrapes and dings on the flatter surfaces hold up pretty well. I couldn't find another coater that knew the correct process or had the right type of thermoset/plastic coating so I painted my chassis with two pack eurathane paint. It seems ok but will scratch with some force.( ie- fitting tight headers. Chips aren't too much of a worry though. The stones off the front wheel against the front of the side pipe would be a real test of toughness though.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Merv, GMH Black with Satin Clear 2 pack on the pipes. See attached photos.
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2011, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the suggestions. They are very helpful. I could treat the insides with Xtrol and then prime and paint them and the outside, in paint (I like the Satin Two pack Craig) as that maybe more flexible on the front edge than powder coating.

However, there is a large and well equipped coatings place near me (they do all types) and I could ask about the 'softer' type of powder coating, as Rob suggests.

Is the POR tougher still?

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Merv, the POR sales blurb says it can withstant being hammered, so it should be fairly chip resistant. I've used POR on steering components and it looks great in gloss black. Not sure whether they offer a satin finish though.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Paul. I will check that out too. I get the pipes next week and I would like to get it underway asap.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Personally I would leave Por15 where it's best for, people wanting to hand paint suspension and chassis components that are not suitable for powder.

It's a tough call whether to go with powder or paint, both have their pros & cons.

Merv, also keep in mind you can get 2 layer powder coating as well. Base colour and clear coat over the top. We now use 2 layer metallic powder coating on our steel chassis and steel suspension pieces, the visual depth into the coating is amazing. We have only used a gloss clear coat though, not satin.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Craig and also Rob for the detail. I am thinking that I need something that can be touched up at the front of the pipes occasionally. Altho powder coating may be tough enough.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What did you use Mick?

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

If you want a flat black, and even though your pipes are not live, I would use the $15 a can heat proof paint.
There is enough in 1 can to do both pipes about 3 times to touch up/respry stone chips (rare) or sand blasting from front tyre (will depend on how many kls you do).

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Boxhead, yep, VHT Heat Proof paint would be the choice of a lot of Cobra owners with live pipes. It's also what I use now on our live pipes. Just sand back and respray when required.

But with fake pipes you can use some very nice cosmetic finished, 2 pack black/satin clear looks amazing. With the finish of Merv's Cobra, that is the way I would go.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

VHT caliper paint requires heat to cure it properly. I imagine the heat proof paint will be the same.

POR 15 chassis black is a satin paint. Standard POR-15 will be no good due to UV light
Old 06-17-2011, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HARRISON, FORD 302, SOLD
Not Ranked     

Merv

I sprayed a primer and three coats of automotive acrylic matt black

There's already HEAPS of chips on the front where they face the tyres, they also catch gravel chips real well!

I reccon being able to touch up is a good idea, something powder coating may pose a problem with.

What about a nice set of mudflaps.....if we do a bulk order maybe we can get a nice Cobra emblem stamped on em
Old 06-17-2011, 09:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mudflaps!!?? The side pipes are the mudflaps. I was looking at the thermoplastic powdercoatings (see Rob's post above) and they look the toughest for stone protection.

http://www.pcimag.com/IPP/2006/08/Fi...ekTable1LG.jpg

If this does not check out on Monday, I think I will going the way that Craig suggests.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.