Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Will be interested to see how that MasFlo chip relates to your EEC and injection setup Geof. Should be no problems. I found some hanging idle issues, but they were solved eventually. What injectors did you use?

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     

Merv

I went with the 24lb versions. Peter is very confident that these will be enough. I expect there will be little problem with the MassFlo and EEC. It is a tried and true setup. I will be storing all the old gear and recall your issues with the TPS.

The tall filter and loud dizzy are part of the look I am trying to create. Sort of 1970s muscle car I think. Hiding as much of the wiring as possible will go some way to help this as well.

Geof
Old 08-27-2011, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

Yes Peter is spot on there. I was talked by Chris Richards into the 30lb injectors and they are more tricky to manage at low revs with a 'warm' cam. OK the sun is out for the first time in a week and I'm off!

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HARRISON, FORD 302, SOLD
Not Ranked     

Getting agitated at all your mod talk you blokes........my Trickflow kit is still on the water, it was late being dispatched as, according to Fabre, there's been such a turndown in business over there in the US, that not much inventory is held in the warehouse and kits are being put together as ordered. Anyway it sounds like Peter's been busy on your car Geof, so I'd be in the queue anyway!!

Your donk's looking great BTW!

On the downturn issue, things are pretty quiet here in the kit industry. I was at a well know manufacturers factory a few weeks ago checking out another "potential" replica Ford build. They've scaled back their operation drastically.......no more kits being built in the foreseable future, only minimal staff and parts supply to existing customers.

The situation with NSW compliance can't be helping either.......
Old 08-27-2011, 11:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncobra View Post
Anyway it sounds like Peter's been busy on your car Geof, so I'd be in the queue anyway!!
Queue is all free for you, Greg. I am on the slow road to completion - doing all the work myself. At least until now anyway.

Did you go for the complete Trickflow kit? You will be looking at a few extra horses with the Trickflow manifold and plenum setup.

Geof
Old 08-27-2011, 11:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ahh, Pete's 'advising' is he?

I'm considering how much of the rebuild I can contribute to.....I love having a go, but don't want to compromise the whole thing by my enthusiasm:-0
Gotta learn somehow though........

I''ve ordered the whole kit, so yeah the manifold and all. Not sure if i really like the look of it, maybe i'll ditch it later in favour of yours and Mervs setup....I do like the big aircleaner!

Greg
Old 08-28-2011, 12:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It will be great Greg. There are a few potential 'issues' with the air cleaner placement (rear clearance, depending on how far back your motor mounts area) and if you use the longer air cleaner, as I did, then you only just clear the distributor. Peter did the work on my car when I was away and devised solutions for both of these.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon View Post
It will be great Greg. There are a few potential 'issues' with the air cleaner placement (rear clearance, depending on how far back your motor mounts area) and if you use the longer air cleaner, as I did, then you only just clear the distributor. Peter did the work on my car when I was away and devised solutions for both of these.
Peter (from Hancock Engineering..... ) has done all the work on my tune etc on the big motor. HIghly recommended, he certainly knows his stuff. We are off to the dyno again on thurs to hopefully break the 400rwhp barrier.. Can't wait for the nats this year, I only had 285rwhp last year.... me thinks I might be doing a bit more than 190 down the front strait this year...
Old 08-29-2011, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

Be careful at the "Kink" this year Ash......
it comes up quick at 230 k.p.h., and it SEEMS a lot more "kinkier" at that speed I'm sure !!
Old 08-30-2011, 12:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

He does a great job Ash. I hope he keeps some special tricks for his own car!

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory 5
Not Ranked     

I have the same engine in mine... looks great man!
Old 12-15-2011, 10:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default ...finally

All

After chasing some minor issues (mostly fliud leaks) this week, the *new* 302 finally sparked to life this afternoon.

After kicking the engine over for around 10 seconds with the coil disconnected (to see oil pressure rise), the first real start was instantaneous. Immediate start and immediate idle. This is a real credit to the engineering crew at MassFlo - their system is truly plug and play. I really expected to be chasing down numerous issues before the engine would fire.

Many thanks also to Peter - TUF427 - who managed the ECU chip side of things. A vast knowledge of this subject!!

Still some way to go setting up the whole system, bedding in the new engine components and fixing a few more *minor issues* but I am very happy with the overall result so far. Still yet to see how it manages the *right foot down* scenario.

Cheers

Geof

Last edited by 07cob; 12-15-2011 at 10:46 PM..
Old 12-15-2011, 10:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

Good stuff mate...

Looks bloody beautiful.

Cheers,
Warren.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Nice engine!
Old 12-16-2011, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well done Geoff! Having been the same route it is always traumatic and then .. it works! Did you have to fit a new water pump with a standard rotation? I seem to recall that you had a different belt system before?

That MasFlo stuff is pretty fool proof and really does look the 60's unit. Now to test the clutch and gearbox with that extra power!

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, gents.

Merv, the water pump is now standard rotation with the classic three pulley setup. A new, Ford Racing clutch has also been installed to cope with the extra HP. I'll just have to be careful with the gearbox!

Geof
Old 12-16-2011, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #73 with an L76 6 litre CHEV, T56, 6SPEED,R32 Rear end.
Not Ranked     

Good on you Geof. Looks impressive.

regards
Mick
Old 12-16-2011, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Geoff the only minor probs I had was slightly lean running - and that was fixed with a bit of a reprogram by PH, and a slight hanging idle - sticking idle motor shaft. Otherwise it has held its tune very well. Nice cammy idle?

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Looks great Geof.

Mine's back from Pete and now in the paintshop having a few minor issues touched up.......should be home for Christmas.I only drove it around the block then onto the trailer but it was breathing beautifully, nice lumpy idle. don't need 1st or 2nd gear though :-0. Talk about torque!!

I'm sure Peter was glad to see it out of the shed though.

There were a FEW challenges:

The clown (ie me) that wired it overlooked a few things... nothing that a replacement ECU couldn't fix, so after a 2 week wait the replacement was faulty too:-(

Then the harmonic balancer and water pump were a bit sus, so out they went.

Then the Trickflo manifolds wouldn't fit....well, they did.....but the bonnet didn't close! (Trickflo assured me they are the same height as original. Didn't mention WIDTH though) So it was either drop the engine height, shave way too much off the upper and lower manifolds or cut a bigger hole in the bonnet. Anyway, we decided the Massflow conversion needs to fast-tracked so now the std Ford manifold stays.

So, it won't be long know and there'll be another Trick/Mass Flo combo.

Go the FORDS!!
Old 12-17-2011, 12:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well done also Greg. Those ECUs can be a pain. I have two spares just in case! They are able to be repaired I believe. You seem to have gone the same route that Geof and I did with the Trickflow gear and MasFlo. I had no problems fitting the top end in, but my engine is quite low.

What diff are you running? I found that with the extra power I need a taller ratio and went from the 4.1 to the 3.55. Huge difference in the value from the gearbox and drivability.

That lumpy idle is the best part but if does rattle the garage walls.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.