Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-13-2011, 12:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: GForce Boss Chassis, Jag suspension, Powerlock Diff, Boss 290 engine
Not Ranked     
Question Newbie with a GForce Cobra

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading the board for a while now and after taking the plunge and buying a GForce Cobra roller from Rob, I've realised just how very little I know about kit building.

It's a long way from the old remote control Nitro cars I used to build.

Anyhow, I thought that now would be a nice time to say hello to everyone and ask for a little assistance as I start down the long road (pardon the pun) of building my Cobra.

I've got the Boss configuration chassis on my GForce and I've got a nice reasonably low mileage Boss 290 sitting in my shed.

I've been in touch with a wrecker in the Eastern states called Fern Tree Gulley and have bought various bits and pieces from them including a full wiring loom for a BA Falcon.

Question I've got is... where to start?

I've been doing a lot of reading and searching the net and haven't really found a good source of where to start with a Cobra build (GForce in particular).

Does anyone have any good guides, blogs, diaries, etc that they would be willing to share? I'd be very much in your debt.

All the best and I'll keep you informed with my progress.

Adam.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289 USRRC #98 The Ken Miles Tribute Car
Not Ranked     

Your kit supplier might be a good start.

Surely they supply a build manual

Cheers
Old 08-13-2011, 02:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: GForce Boss Chassis, Jag suspension, Powerlock Diff, Boss 290 engine
Not Ranked     

Hiya BJ. Thanks for getting back to me so quick.

GForce have produced a fantastic chassis and body for me but I'm pretty sure that he hasn't got a build manual. I've asked but haven't had a response as yet. I'll give him a ring next week.

He's actually been very helpful and given me some great advice but as a newbie a lot of it goes straight over my head. As an example, one of the first tasks Rob told me to do was to put the handbrake cable in and measure it for length as well as installing the fuel tank. I've been able to tackle the handbrake cable but as for installing the fuel tank? Well, not sure where to start.

Thanks again,

Adam.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

There should be some type of manual, but you say you have a roller, so I would be checking all steering and suspension (make sure all bolts are tensioned to specs).
Then fit driveline (engine, gearbox, diff, tailshaft, drive shafts), then brakes, then body (unless yours is prefixed), then steering system, then fuel system, then wiring, then interior and trim, lastly is body hardware (lights, windscreen etc)

Good luck with the build, and please keep us updated with a build thread (either not many getting built or no one is talking)

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk1, LS1, T56, Jag S3 suspension
Not Ranked     

Hey Adam,

Where is it you live? (nothing in your monica gives you away).

There is such a thing a G-Force build manual. It is a mythical beast that I happen to have a copy of. 8 months after I got my g-force the magic document was uncovered. It gives you an ideas of how it comes together, and apparently in the right order.

Let me know where you are and I can get a version to you...

--JC
Old 08-13-2011, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi JCraig....

Well, it's a small world. I'm in Perth as well (Seville Grove). Wow.... that's awesome news that you have a manual. My email address is adam.flemmingATiinet.net.au (obviously swap the AT for an @... darn spammers). If you can drop me an email, I'd be more than happy to pick it up or arrange to get a copy made.

I've got pictures of the build so far and will start blogging the build in a new thread... if for no other reason than to give people a laugh and maybe help someone else out.

Just as an aside, I've got to say that, so far, this site has been great for the positive feedback and responses from everyone.

That's awesome news. Thanks again.

Adam.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Adam,

Even better news is the Cobra Car Club of WA meets the fourth Wednesday of every month at the Veteran Car Club on Hale Road in Forrestfield. Why don't you come along as a guest and decide if it's worth $50 a year to become a member. They are a great bunch of like minded blokes and there are usually a few cobras in the carpark to admire.

In the meantime I'll get a copy going.

cobracarclubwa.com

--Jamie
Old 08-13-2011, 09:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default GForce

Adam

Would second JC's advice as I too have a GF manual. I've also sourced an RMC manual as the GF was developed from the RMC.

I'll not be capable of doing any copy or scanning for a while so suspect JC will help you first but if not I will be able to get you a copy eventually.

As a roller it has steering rack in place? You could temprarily work on a steering shaft installation. Are you using the sigma column or has Rod modernised this yet? I'd suggest perhaps looking at a more modern steering arrangement if you can to get away from the solid sigma set up for safety reasons.

To do the fitting above needs the frames mounted so temporary work on the pedal box, brake booster and clutch can follow too.

Also a good time to fit your brake lines front to back plus fuel and vapour lines from the tank to motor. Not sure if you have 2 or 3 on the BA.

Let us know more and have fun.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by stephen low; 08-24-2011 at 05:30 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 08-14-2011, 04:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Enjoy the process Adam. Go along to some Club meetings and take lots and lots of photos of every conceivable part of the cars. Pictures are so valuable in the build process.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks to you all. Really looking forward to having a look at the manual for the car and I think you're right... attending the local club sounds like the right way to go as well.

As it happens, I've just uploaded a few pics into my gallery... feel free to comment.

Looks like the blog part of the website isn't working at the moment but I'm keeping notes and will start a new thread and document the build as I go.

Thanks again.

Adam.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default next steps

Adam

To gain more boot space I lowered my standard tank fitment. I didn't have to cut a hole in the boot floor for partial tank penetration as the GF manual suggests. Though I did cut a hole for access to service the fuel pump and so forth. I too also had the tank modified for an in tank BA fuel pump somewhat like yours.

My gallery doesn't show the lowering too well but does show the modification to the seat belt post. I wanted twin rollbar hoops and in boot seat belt fitting. This gives more room in the cabin floor for seat positioning which I think is one of the GForces weak design points.

If you want twin hoops you need to add an inner passenger rollbar mount location and for any serious track work a third leg and mount point. All this best done of course whilst the body is off.

After tank and handbrake fitting you will be close to body on for engine install. This then gives you an idea of how little engine bay room you will have left to work in.

Keep sending updates and we can all keep on commenting.

Cheers

Steve
Old 08-14-2011, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the forum Adam. I've found it a great place to learn and share ideas and meet interesting people. Keep us posted with you build. We love build threads and pictures. The build is more than half the fun of the Cobra in my opinion. Cheers

Old 08-15-2011, 03:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Welcome Adam. For me the promise of a build was all of the fun, soon the actual build will be the fun, and one day the drive will be the fun (I hope!)

The G-Force is certainly a nice looking Cobra, please be sure to keep the updates flowing, we love information and build-progress posts here!

Ben
Old 08-24-2011, 12:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Adam, good news is I've got a manual for you, but I'm sitting in the Qantas lounge in Melbourne waiting for my flight home so I can't make it along tonight. When I'm home we can link up for the handover!

--JC
Old 08-24-2011, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up You're a legend

Hi Jamie,

You're a star. I really appreciate that.

In a similar vein, I attended my first meeting of the Cobra Car Club of WA last night. Awesome night. Really nice folks and I probably learned more last night than in all the time that I've had the car so far.

I hit Ron up last night and I'm now a fully paid up member.

Look forward to catching up.

Cheers,

Adam.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Adam that's all very nice but when are we going to see some pic's.
Welcome and enjoy the build!

Regards.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well done Adam, yea they are nice blokes!

You get into town much, the manual awaits...

Old 08-29-2011, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Work in Belmont!

G'day Jamie,

Yep, I work in Belmont so I'm pretty much next to the city every day. Let me know where you are and I'll come out and pick it up.

Again, much appreciated.

Adam.

PS - I've put some of the first pics into my gallery. Just got to work out why the Blogs section of the website isn't working for me.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Jamie,

Let me know when's convenient and I'll swing by to grab that manual.

Adam.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Adam, you have a PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: