Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.22 average. Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 02:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

Worthing to Goodwood is under 20 miles but can take a long time if you use the A27 on the Revival days. A better bet is to buy a map, head north and then use the back country roads and approach the car parks from the north. Much quicker in the long run!

As for Bognor Regis - hmm, maybe the name is a bit more exciting than the place! Most things close at 6pm :-) Not much to recommend it. A lot of B&B in the Worthing area most of which suppply a 'full English' fry-up breakfast to get you through the day. (Bring lots of money for food at the circuit!! They don't do 1940s prices unfortunately.) If you can book well in advance (now) then try Chichester first as you can practically walk to the track! Pulborough, Petworth and Midhurst are worth considering, north and east of the circuit. Brighton is way better for restaurants/night life/gay bars (ooops)....
Old 12-02-2011, 02:58 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bus service from the Chitchester to the Festival of Speed was fantastic, vitually no waiting, used a different route to the cars (no cars allowed). Highly recomended.
Stuart
Old 12-02-2011, 04:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     

Don, Thanks for posting this. I was thinking of trying to get to California for their version of the 50th Cobra aniversary but going to see my God-Children in England might work out a little better. They live in Bath (about 40 minutes from Goodwood). It would be nice to catch up with some of you guys from the other hemisphere. We do share a passion. I have been thinking about going to Goodwood as part of my "bucket list".

Jim s
Old 12-02-2011, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Bath to Goodwood in 40 minutes? Impressive for a 100-mile drive cross-country! You crazy Cobra drivers...... (make that two hours minimum)
Old 12-02-2011, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Trevor. It's been 11 years since I left the UK. It didn't seem that far. I'll think about getting a B&B closer for that part of the visit.

Jim
Old 12-02-2011, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Ah, we've stretched a bit since then - I blame global warming....
Old 12-02-2011, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     

Guys, I used to live in Pulborough - its about 35 minutes from Goodwood, and as Trevor says, best approach to the event is from the north. You can also look at Fittleworth.

If you want cheap(er) accomodation, you can book a Travelodge | Cheap hotels throughout the UK & Ireland
- quite a few in and around the area.

Arundel is beautiful and there are some nice hotels outside the main town. Your wives will love visiting the castle and shops. There is also one of the best English pubs around nearby - the Black Rabbit
Black Rabbit, Offham, West Sussex, BN18 9PB - pub details # beerintheevening.com

But if you have rather more money to blow, you can arrive in style via helicopter - e.g.

Helicopter Charter to Goodwood Revival 2011

and forget the queues.

dont rule put staying in Petworth or North Chapel, which are both very quaint, and will be about 35 mins drive to the revival if you get up at a reasonable time.

HTH - I will def be there this year.

Kevin

btw - Grandstand tickets, although a little pricey are well worth it.

Last edited by KevinW; 12-02-2011 at 01:53 PM..
Old 12-02-2011, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G Force 118 Jag Suspension
Not Ranked     
Default 2012

Bucket List fulfillment Laguna Seca 17-19 August then on to Goodwood 14-16 Sept.The year of the deep pocket?
Old 12-02-2011, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Maybe if the Cobra Club presidents here let members know at the meetings, we might get a bit more interest at a club level.

Personally I would absolutely love to go, but there will be no holidays for me next year.

Have fun guys, I'm certainly jealous of you.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Trevor, You were spot on. Google has it at 135 miles (2.5 hrs). I'll look into a B&B for the night before. The Travelodge sounds tempting but I think we would prefer a B&B. Thanks again.

Jim
Old 12-03-2011, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Having first-hand knowledge of the Travelodge experience - go for a B&B. (no need to thank me, just doing my job
Old 12-03-2011, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Thanks again Don. We have already paid for about 2 months vacation in Europe next year but none of it in the UK. Unfortunately, I think we finish towards the end of August. Goodwood may have to be another year. I am have also been keen to get to Techno Classica Essen and Classic Le Mans. They may have to be specific trips.

The Laguna Seca event could fit in this time however, on the way back:

Cobra 50th Anniversary to be Featured at 2012 Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion

Cobra 50th Anniversary to be Featured at 2012 Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion - Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well thank you very much Mervyn!!!
Talk about muddying the waters.

My immediate thought was that instead of travelling to London via Dubai as originally intended, now there is the possibility of travelling via LA with a quick trip to Laguna Seca for Aug 17-19 followed by a leisurely drive up the PCH and then Seattle or Vancouver to Barcelona then to London and Chichester for Sept 14-16.

If the dates didn't mesh so beautifully I'd have no problem, it'd be one or the other, but jeez look at 'em. Serious grovelling for treasurer's approval now required.

As I said mate, thanks very much.

Last edited by Donunder; 12-04-2011 at 03:59 AM..
Old 12-04-2011, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Some classic corkscrew shots.

Cobra the featured marque at Monterey 2012

Further muddying the waters...
Old 12-05-2011, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Ok, this is confirmed as all systems go (even put in for leave yesterday).

Is it a MUST that you get dressed in period clothing?
Or is more a "prefferd" option?

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Sorry about that Don ...

Those photos at the 'corkscrew' are amazing. What a piece of track and how flat those Cobras as handling.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
Ok, this is confirmed as all systems go (even put in for leave yesterday).

Is it a MUST that you get dressed in period clothing?
Or is more a "prefferd" option?
Not being a "dedicated follower of fashion" the stuff in my wardrobe looks like it will fit right in -- I won't have to bother with dressing up.

Box I don't think it's essential to go period. The Poms sure make a thing of it, and I think it looks fantastic to see the old clobber to match the old planes trucks fire engines race suits, to say nothing of the CARS !!! Keep in mind you'll be travelling and to keep within the weight limits you're pretty much restricted in what you can take anyway. Warm stuff and wet weather gear are bulky enough.

The treasurer arrives home midnight tonight after leaving Rome lunch time yesterday. Should I jump in with the Goodwood proposal while she's still jet lagged? Nah probably not. A nice lunch and a few glasses of "sovblonk" in a day or two might have more chance of success.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Puckett 250 GTO - LS1
Not Ranked     

I just caught the tail end of the 2011 Goodwood Revival on ONE HD this morning. Plenty of Cobras.

A check of the schedule indicates only one most broadcast is planned - 12 noon on 27th December (AEDST). Put that time in your hand-held device now.

That's around Lunch on the second day of the test match but I'm assuming Australia will be beaten by then!
Old 12-22-2011, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAllen View Post
one most broadcast is planned - 12 noon on 27th December (AEDST)
Thanks for the heads up Peter, I'm going to try to record that one.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I am just organising accomodation in the Chichester area, I am looking at this one.

Chichester holiday cottage rental - Beautiful cottage in West Wittering

I am looking at booking for a week from Monday 10th and check out before noon on Monday 17th.
It is self contained and will have a spare second main bedroom and a single bed room, I am most likely going to go for it anyway, but if any Aussies are going and looking for accomodation, I am happy to cover 2/3rds of the cost and you can pay only 1/3rd.
Figure that way also if wifes dont want to tag along to Goodwood (Ronda only wants to go for 1 day) they could keep each other company, I will also have a rental car with GPS and if you have one aswell, then a car can be left for the girls.

Just putting the offer out there.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: