Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.22 average. Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

Nice area, was walking along the beach there a couple of weeks ago for the first time in many years, getting wind and sand-blasted! One of the nicer beaches on the south coast (by UK standards of course) and maybe 8-9 miles to the circuit.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Cheers Trevor, I feel like a Dufus now, but there was another place that was our preference (same area on the beach front) but we hadn't heard from them, got an email about the same time I posted above.
Just waiting on a date confirmation and will most likely be booking it.

My wife and I live in the centre of Australia, in what is essentially a desert, so it is always nice to see water when we go on holidays.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.

Last edited by boxhead; 12-25-2011 at 01:45 PM..
Old 12-27-2011, 12:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival Kobra,LS7 427
Not Ranked     

Hi Boxhead
It might sound like a stupid question! But do we need a Visa for the UK?
Old 12-27-2011, 04:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

When I went in 2009, there was no Visa required.

There are more world travellers in the Aussie section than me though, so I dare say someone will give you a more definate answer.
From memory all we had was our Passports.

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #69, HSV LS2, T56, Custom rear suspension
Not Ranked     

No visa required for Aussie passport holders. Though they do grill you more these days as to your purpose of your visit.

On our last visit to the UK my wife and <15yo kids entered a day ahead of me and got the third degree on my whereabouts.

Cheers
Old 12-27-2011, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

We're still pretty friendly!! Unlike a few other places I could mention.....we don't mind guys boarding a plane with an image of a gun on their t-shirt (clearly in posession of a dealy weapon!)

Sadly, a bit too darn friendly sometimes
Old 12-29-2011, 05:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

OK the airfares are now booked so we will be in the UK and the plan is to visit the festival.

What is the plan for Goodwood for those Aussies attending - all three days, what seating etc?

Where have people booked accomodation so far?

I know Annie would be keen to see the cobras racing, after that it is general interest I suspect. I'm also keen on the war birds.

Feedback the plans so far please.

Steve
Old 12-29-2011, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default How soon can we see a list of significant Cobras entered?

I heard there's at least two races with Cobras, one with only cobras,and those with some ties to a racing history and another race of the cars that Cobras raced against back in the day, such as Ferrari GTOs.
I would think there's about 5 or 6 teams in England racing CSX2000-era Cobras, and at least one team each from countries like Germany, France and Japan, so I am hopingthe Americans can field 4 or 5 cars with a racing history as well. I worry about rain , it being England, but on the other hand they've had very warm summers in recent years so maybe it'll be nice fall weather.

Did you know that Lord March (who owns the grounds and the whole event) has rules about clothing? He wants you to dress period--does that mean the famous Brock-designed COBRA T-shirts will be allowed?

PS One great thing about this event is that, since the course was once an RAF airfield, there's lots of emphasis on aeroplanes and Spitfires galore...
Old 12-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Legate View Post
Having first-hand knowledge of the Travelodge experience - go for a B&B. (no need to thank me, just doing my job
We have booked the "Legate B&B" but have not seen any reviews online nor have we been able to access any pictures of the inn. We expect a fine room with an "en suite" bathroom and of course, a fine English breakfast and brandies at night. We understand the innkeeper is somewhat known in automotive circles but sadly has sold the specialty car that used to be made available for use by the guests.

I guess we will find out how fine the accomadations are when we get there......

I have stayed in a Cotswold manor house that was quite nice some years ago........biggest, deepest bathtub I have ever seen!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 12-29-2011, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Sadly Legate Towers is no longer the fine palatial residence it once was. One's solictior does not allow me to embelish, but it involved a scandal betwixt the downstairs under-parlour maid and several staff in the stables. One's position in polite society has withered more than somewhat so unfortunately I am unable entertain the likes of Lord Muck etc this annum. My impoverised hovel no longer enjoys the luxury of indoor plumbing let alone a full English cooked breakfast - ah the memories....

The Cobras will also be eligable, as always, for the RAC TT but how many will be in both races remains to be seen. Quite a hefty job competing in two events totalling one and three quarter hours of flat-out racing

I would recommend an umbrella - mostly we've had fine weather but last year saw a deluge of monsoon proportions half way through the TT race, but not one car spun! I'm still drying out.

Re clothing - to make the event work as it should, the spectators get more into the period spirit every year. Gentlemen arrive in country tweeds (jackets and ties), or military uniform (there's a war on you know!). Mechanics overalls are permitted which is useful and flat caps or similar period hats are now common. Period Shelby Cobra shirts are also permissable. Ladies can go mad with 40's-style clothing or uniforms. Some great examples are on view on the Goodwood website. If you can obtain paddock passes (not on sale), such clothing is essential or you will be refused entry. Outside, you can wear what you like but the more people in period clothing, the more the event 'works'. Last year saw a record 10 Supermarine Spirtfires taking to the skies to beat up the runway with some (illegal) low passes - wonderful.

This will be a very rare opportunity to see the 1964 AC Cars 'A98' Le Mans Coupe on the Goodwood track. Not racing, but it will be on display under its own steam....bring a camera! The race will be for up to 30 Cobras - we shall see if that number will be reached. At least one Daytona will be there of course.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Steve,
Ronda and I have just this morning booked and confirmed this place
Chichester holiday house rental - Beach house, great views, private beach access, refurbished to a high standard
for a week (Monday arvo till Monday morning) We will have been staying in B&B's for about 2 weeks by the time we get here so will look forward to a place we can call home and not live from our suitcase.
I am not sure what your travel plans are and how long your looking to stay in the area for?
If its only for a few days then I suggest getting onto a B&B pretty quick, as all places I contacted advised that early in the new year they get flooded with bookings for the Goodwood revival weekend.

As it gets closer anyone who wants to get together, we should organise something.

When I went to the Festival of speed, I booked a grandstand ticket, this allowed me entry into the grounds and a "roaming" grandstand seat, I could wander around and find a stand I liked and just go in and take a seat. I have not looked yet if the set up is the same for Revival?

Cruising in 5th

Old 12-29-2011, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     

Id fully recommend a Grandstand ticket - you will get a better view, and if it rains its a blessing to be out of it.

Your chosen B&B looks ideally located, as there will (I beleive) be a little less traffic comng up from the South of Chichester. However, expects delays in the approach road to the town unless you set off early - Id suggest setting off at least an hour before the gates open to avoid the rush.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just trying to book tickets to the Revival now, and having trouble with their ticketing system not accepting an Australian postcode. I can enter a valid UK postcode, but as the tickets will be posted in the mail I don't want to take the risk of them going missing.

Anyone else have this trouble? How did you overcome it?
Old 01-28-2012, 12:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

All OK. Problem solved.
We had to enter a UK post code to open an account and then do an "address edit" for the postal address. It still seems a cumbersome system posting the tickets to the other side of the world. It would have been much simpler to email them to me and I could have printed them. Much faster and definitely more secure.
Anyway, all done. Roll on September!
Old 01-28-2012, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default Ticket issues

Don

I don't recall having to fake our address the system was happy to set me up and then ticket accordingly.

I did contact ticketing and they were hoping to get tickets out in the near future. If timing starts to get close I'll just have them hold them at one of the ticketing offices for collection.

Steve
Old 01-28-2012, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Steve.
Yes we were having no luck getting past the "invalid postcode" flag so had to resort to some creative dodgery.
I couldn't believe how, in the four days since I last looked, the available seats in the Woodcote stand had dried up! Craig and I still managed to grab what look like will be good seats for the Saturday and Sunday but we wouldn't have wanted to have left it any later. We also picked up some lavant tickets for the Friday and scored a 10% discount for a three day purchase. Result!
The confirming message said the tickets should be on the away within five working days so now I'll be like the little kid swinging on the farm gate waiting for the postie.
Fifty years of Cobras!!!! I'm going to be a nervous wreck with the anticipation of waiting 'til September.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don

Annie and I are just roaming Friday, in Lavant Saturday and Woodcote Sunday.

Makes about 6 of us going so far by my count.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Crap, sounds like I beter organise my tickets, accomodation and flights done.

Cruising in 5th

Old 01-29-2012, 01:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Done, Ronda only wants one day so she is coming along on Sunday, I have bought the same as yours Stephen.

Cruising in 5th

Old 01-29-2012, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

At least you could still get grandstand tickets Dave, that would have been a shame if you'd left it too late.