Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 12-31-2011, 01:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default ICV Registration

Just trying to understand the differences state to state on ICV registration. From my research all the States seem to work in a similar manner. My interpretation is this, am I far from the mark. They all seem to recognise VSB14 L01 as the Code of Practice by which ICV's are tested but all reserve the right to issue "Exemptions" to the Code.
The below Factory Five was built and registered in less than 18 months and Ive just finished reading about a fella taking more than a year in registration alone in NSW for a local built kit.
Can anyone shed some light?

Car as it was Registered -side indicators and high back seats.

As it is now

Last edited by Component Cars; 01-01-2012 at 04:43 AM..
Old 12-31-2011, 02:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Nice looking car and welcome along.
It is a tricky one, but the biggest issues are that just because one state allows you an exemption, does not mean that another state will agree to that exemption.
And also some states will not recognise another states engineers paperwork.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance/Coyote
Not Ranked     

That's a beautiful car tell as more. How was the conversion to right hand drive done. I like the factory five cars,did you attend the class in the US? Registration in some states is extremely difficult. Clad someone has an easy process. Tell us more
Old 12-31-2011, 02:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

Righto,

There's a couple of misconceptions in your statement. Firstly, vsb14 hasn't been accepted by all states. Also, each state retains the right to control whih vehicles are registered on their roads; in the case of ICVs in NSW, this means that unless the engineers report is done by a NSW signatory, then it will not get registered.

I'll explain in more detail tomorrow when I'm not using my phone to reply.

Cheers,

Treeve
Old 12-31-2011, 02:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Couple of other shots

Last edited by Component Cars; 01-01-2012 at 04:24 AM..
Old 12-31-2011, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's not for the worst either in NSW. In fact, I think it's for the best, but only when you've worked out the ins and outs.

Treeve
Old 12-31-2011, 03:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

Chris, if you are the registered owner and live in WA, then the car is fine to drive in other states, if however you sell the car or move and wish to re register in another state, then you may need to re engineer.
I say may because I know that in the NT, the registry will accept engineer reports from engineers in any state of Australia, as long ast they are approved signatories.
This is most likely not the same for other states.
Ie, I can drive my car interstate (and have done so on many times).

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Lovely looking car Chris.

I am interested in what you did regarding a steering lock to comply with ADRs and also head rests as there does not seem to be any fitted or provision for them to be fitted.

There are a couple of ffr owners in Perth that would most probably like to know the scoop on those, among other items.

You are the Australian ffr distributor yes / no.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

what was this thread? Component Cars has deleted both his posts
Old 12-31-2011, 11:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickycoupe View Post
....You are the Australian ffr distributor yes / no.
It seems it's a "yes"
FFR website says "Component Cars Australia Named Exclusive FFR Australian Agent"

So is there more to the story, Chris? Are FFR in or out in Aus?
Cheers,
Glen

Last edited by xb-60; 12-31-2011 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: wanted to
Old 01-01-2012, 01:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB #145, Ford 5.0 HO
Not Ranked     
Default Component cars car sales advertisement.

Interestingly enough a new ad on car-sales popped up recently for the car old mate had posted...

the link is here...

2011 AC COBRA Private Cars For Sale in WA - carsales.com.au

Maybe he was checking where he may have a restricted market
Old 01-01-2012, 02:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

On reinstatement of his first post, I have edited this comment. I will write a new post addressing further issues in NSW below.

Treeve

Last edited by Treeve; 01-01-2012 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: Comments no longer applicable
Old 01-01-2012, 02:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If thats the case I am a bit disappointed as I understand that the Factory Five was a pretty good product and as an interest buyer, It would have been good to get information on these builds from a local distributer and prospective.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thats fine Treeve & Icetoo your obviously welcome to your opinion. How you can justify making a slur about my character over a thread on a forum when we have never met, is beyond my comprehension.
For those who I havent offended yet, yes Ricky you got me, its not like I was trying to hide. Think I'll get another avatar and vanish after the success of my 1st post.
I admit that I deleted the thread after researching a bit more about the drama's guys have had registering local ICV's in NSW in particular. Feeling I should perhaps do some more research on the "QT" rather than be seen as rude or bragging about how easy the Factory Five car was to both build and register.
My Engineer is the one and only recognised authority in WA on the new list of Approved Engineers for NSW so Im confident in the products compliance, just thought I should retreat and seek his council rather than create a thread on a topic already well covered.

Yes Xb60 FFR are now down under, there is a few floating around. Just between you and I have it on good authority that Ill soon be able to help you with that 289 slabside your thinking/planning. But you didnt hear it from me.

Again sorry to those that I have offended.

Chris Canning
Component Cars Australia

Last edited by Component Cars; 01-01-2012 at 05:06 AM..
Old 01-01-2012, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So the price as advertised, is that for a complete running vehicle?
As I see the pic shows this blue car, yet the add says a red one, also says comes with a roadworthy, so that tells me it is a complete car your selling?

If so, then the price is a damn good one. As that is less than the cash outlay in my car without labour (and I thought mine was cheap)

Cruising in 5th

Old 01-01-2012, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Righto Chris,

I was not intending my comments to be a slur; you started a post, asked some questions, then deleted your post. This came across as if you were trying to gain information from us without a permanent record. Regardless, I have spoken to you in the past, regarding a Daytona Coupe, and for the record your behaviour in our emails and phone conversation was exemplary. Now that your post is reinstated with a picture 'as registered', I will follow up and give you the rest of my feedback.

Firstly, in NSW, the vehicle report is submitted with a lot of photographs. This allows the RTA/RMS to identify changes made after the engineers report. The future plans for this is to allow the police to be able to look up your certificate at the roadside and see the photos. This means your seat change would be a pain. Same for side repeaters.

Next on the list, the standard VSB14 document will not allow fixed harnesses or left side exhausts. Whilst I know how to get through this in NSW, and it involves a bit of effort on the signatory's behalf; typically they must apply to the minister for an allowance to meet different standards to those listed in VSB14 to be allowed. I've spent a lot of time working through these specific items (harnesses and side pipes) as this is what I have on my v8 Dax rush.

Other than that, the final thing off the top of my head is IM240 testing; it's free from 2 locations in NSW, but it is also essential - nothing else is acceptable. It's also not too tough with a modern engine and a competent tuner.

Best of luck in your venture,

Treeve

Last edited by Treeve; 01-01-2012 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: Spell check on iPhone being a nightmare
Old 01-01-2012, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Boxhead,

In the ad it states that is a kit less engine, wheels and paint. Probably priced similar to the local Harrison or Classic Revival.

I guess this means that Harrison is no longer a distributor for Factory Five.

Ben
Old 01-01-2012, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
So the price as advertised, is that for a complete running vehicle?
As I see the pic shows this blue car, yet the add says a red one, also says comes with a roadworthy, so that tells me it is a complete car your selling?

If so, then the price is a damn good one. As that is less than the cash outlay in my car without labour (and I thought mine was cheap)
Looks pretty clear to me the add is for a "complete" kit. From the pics they have one in red gelcoat ready to go.

Chris, is the blue car a mark 3 or 4?
Old 01-01-2012, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Chris,

I was not flaming or slurring anybody...merely stating that it would be disappointing as a perspective buyer not to have your continued input into the characteristics and information of this vehicle within the forum perspective for the public record.

I think that it is great that you have continued to post on the board, especially as this board and the associated experience of many of the board members provide the most comprehensive guide for the Australian evolution and production of this vehicle that I could find online.

Now putting my engineers hat back on, Notwithstanding the technical integrity and certification of all materials used in the construction of this vehicle kit, and the fact that your Engineer has NSW authorization to assess said compliance, my question will be two fold.

I understand that if the car was certified during and after a complete build (in WA) by the aforementioned NSW accredited engineer, then registering in this state would not be an issue providing no further modifications had been made since the initial certification (although this could still be at the RTA/RMS discretion and the appropriate submissions may still need to be made). Would this be the case members?

Now the second part, I understand that an assembler in say NSW, would still be required to undertake the ICV application and assessment process IAW current procedures, with possibly less engineering rigor for the test and trial process due to the recognized certification of Objective quality evidence supplied with the kit in respect to the integrity of materials, (but would still have to make the appropriate submissions and waiver requests using the documented OQE as mitigation)...

So that leads us back to the progressive and completed build of a purchased kit...where by an assembler would still need to have the actual constructed vehicle re-assesed for certification under the new NSW system for regulatory compliance by a local recognized NSW engineer as it is a fair hike back to WA and/or possibly impracticable to have the WA based engineer (the original NSW also accredited engineer) fly over for the testing process.

So...Is there an issue having more than one certifier for the vehicle...and if not surely the second certifier would not have go over the certified material previously covered all over again?

Now for the add it does state "Everything you need to build the car minus
Engine Transmission, fuel pump, wheels, tyres and paint.." and that it is the MK 4..so happy with that....there was a completed FFR build in WA of one of these set ups and SC 5.4 engine configuration for sale recently online at over the 100 K mark...was this one, one of yours Chris?

Cheers AdS

Last edited by ICETOO; 01-01-2012 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: spell checker error
Old 01-01-2012, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry guys, I missed all the kit part and pictures of a red car, was only looking via my phone.

Cruising in 5th

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: