Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 01:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison build #98 with Supercharged 6.2L of Chev Power, TKO600 5 speed gearbox
Not Ranked     

I am hoping to have my car finished and come up for a day trip, currently going through paint, the upholstery and rego. I already have vin, so hopefully it's just an inspection.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

HI Ben,
Firstly, I am not all bent and twisted about this but could see the opportunity to fix a problem we have in classing with both the Nationals and Shelbyfest. If you understand what I am proposing it actually creates more competion within my class.

The idea of the classes is to make this as even as possible so that every car in that class has a real opportunity to win.

To class using engine capacity is probably the best way to do this, however this should also be set with an understanding of engine groups and types.

The issue I have is the 6tr Dart block based windsor with a 3.4 stroke and the larger than 4 inch bore should be clasified and grouped in the same class. To split this group in half for less than 1% of there capacity just doesn't make sence.

I understand the 6ltr rule has been a constant, but this was a real opportunity to fix it with the inforcement of the new tyre rules.

I just hope the descisions being made are not influenced by a few, who see an opportunity to diminish the competition in their own class thru a technicality.

I do tuely believe that the classes should be 5100 to 5900 for class 2 and the bigger capacities and blown make up class 3.

Well that just my opinion and I appreciate that these things are not a simple as it seams.

I am looking forward to the event and better check my wheels bearings as I have a feeling they wont pass scutinering.

Phil

Last edited by Philm; 01-24-2012 at 03:05 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-24-2012, 02:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The idea of the classes is to make this as even as possible so that every car in that class has a real opportunity to win.
I agree with your statement, however it is completely thrown out the window because of tyres. I have fundamental issues with this relating to tyres. You now HAVE to have R-Spec tyres to have any hope at all of getting close to the front. That doesn't seem fair to me, but that is what The People seem to have wanted at club discussions, so that is what we got. This happened because the most vocal competitors all have R-Spec tyres. The people running on "normal" street tyres haven't added their opinions or spoken loudly enough, so there we have it - R-Spec or you come down the finishing order.

Quote:
To split this group in half for less than 1% of there capacity just doesn't make sence.
I agree the Dart issue is an unfortunate anomaly.

Quote:
I just hope the descisions being made are not influenced by a few, who see an opportunity to diminish the competition in their own class thru a technicality.
I can assure this is not the case. Open club discussions have been held on classing, in relation to both engines and tyres, and The People have spoken. I happen to disagree with some of it, but majority rules.

I think the 6000cc limit was for two reasons;

1) capture the LS1,LS2,L76,L98
you wouldn't want a stock 351 going up against a worked heads & cam LS3
you also wouldn't want a worked L98 going up against a 4990cc stocker
but then again, tyres, tyres, tyres, make most of these comparisons irrelevant

2) allow re-bored 351's to sneak in under 6L

I don't know if anyone really thought of DART strokers that might get split at 6000cc
Old 01-24-2012, 02:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am sure the 6ltr Dart issue is well known with influential members within your club.

And that is all I will say.

Phil
Old 01-24-2012, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RC_Sports Car Replica. Dodge Viper Blue, Candy apple Red stripes 408_Cleveland, 2v heads, twin Gas Research throttle bodies, Full manual stage 3 C10 auto, Jag 3.07 rear.
Not Ranked     

I think Ben and Phil both have a very good understanding of the politics behind this discussion.

Over the years that Shelbyfest has been running, my one regret as organiser is introducing classes in to that first event. I've been battling hard since the 3rd year to have them removed (guess I don't always get my own way).

Looking back over all those years, it has been the only problem area where we haven't been able make everyone happy.

Oh and Phil, You have me in the >6lt class this year, just need to find a good set of tyres. (may also need to look in to some James Bond type devices for the Cobra (if I want any chance of a trophy)).
Old 01-24-2012, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance number 720
Not Ranked     

come on Phil its just starting to get interesting.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Excellent Jason,

How is the new donk?

phil
Old 01-24-2012, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance number 720
Not Ranked     

The way I understand it the classes dont come into the trophys anyway.Is it not just the 5 fastest in each event or am I wrong Jason.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPTYL View Post
I think Ben and Phil both have a very good understanding of the politics behind this discussion.

Over the years that Shelbyfest has been running, my one regret as organiser is introducing classes in to that first event. I've been battling hard since the 3rd year to have them removed (guess I don't always get my own way).

Looking back over all those years, it has been the only problem area where we haven't been able make everyone happy.
This post won't make me any friends, but what the hell!!

It sounds to me like you all are trying to find ingeneous solutions to problems that should never exist, only because you are trying to apease a group of egotistical types who don't have the courage to race against real racers, but instead get their rocks off by beating weekend ametures.

I truly feel sorry for both the piss weak clowns who's lives are so empty that winning a plastic trophy means that much to them, for they are truly a sad case, and for you who have to bare it and attempt to pander to them.

I vote no classes!
This isn't primary school were all particpants need an award, nor is it golf and thus no handicap is necessary.
With so many makes, builds & brands drawing a line will only shift the advantage/disadvantage to the next competitor. I say race against your time from last year.

Engine size is nearly irrelevant when you consider that tyres, suspension, and down force will do more for you than cubic inches.
Plus cubic inches is only half the story when it comes to engine performance.

Last edited by Dimis; 01-24-2012 at 04:32 AM..
Old 01-24-2012, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How do you breath Dimi with your head so far up your own arse.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philm View Post
How do you breath Dimi with your head so far up your own arse.

True I don't have a horse in this race, and my exposure to nationals and Shelbyfest is nil. But I am curious to understand why the need for classes to what I understand to be predominantly a social gathering for like minded cobra/daytona/gt40/car lovers.

Sorry if I offended you, but I'd be curious to know!

Thanks
Old 01-24-2012, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Dimis,
I think you are getting club racing confused with your ballet guild.
The reason that there are classes is to try to group up similar performance cars/drivers.
A cobra has no downforce so tyres and engines are the main variable.
All that is being said here is that a line has been drawn to separate a large class, but that line has been run through a group of similar cars. This group just happens to be a very competitive engine group.
No class cut off should be so close to a popular engine displacement, if one of the 'just under 6ltr' guys requires a 10 or 20 over bore they will change classes and that is plain silly.

Myself?
I have a modified 5.7 LS1 and would prefer to go in class 3 with the racers than stay in class 2 with the trophy hunters.