Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2017, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

You guys down under wrestle with a lot of regulatory challenge that is at least different if not more demanding than what we have to navigate back here in the states.

I am going to suggest a selection criteria that is not necessarily brand or technology related but rather financial and regulatory related.

Your engine selection criteria should be based on the best engine you can afford to build / buy that will meet the regulatory requirements for public highway operation in your country.

Choosing your engine any other way will most probably add compliance expense (and pain) along with possibly delaying your build as you wait to accumulate adequate funds to buy various and sometimes limited availability (read expensive) engine components.

Ed
Dimis, Cobra72, Phx Mike and 1 others like this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 06-25-2017 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-25-2017, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieCobra View Post
I must confess that I have not been able to contact them yet but will keep trying. I have heard their product is very good quality and I am a patient man! I also do like a kit that has all components supplied.

I am not aware of any other aluminium shelled cobra kits in Australia (except importing a Kirkham which I imagine would cost $$$).
You could get mark nuggent to make you an aluminium body and put it on a classic revival chassis. Mark's buck is from a pace, and a pace body will fit a classic revival. Or get the body made and then send to island cars to build a chassis for you. There are options if your prepared to think outside the square I reckon.
boxhead, mate, Dimis and 2 others like this.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Just on the engine power front, if you're not going to race (of some kind) then you really don't need massive power. Mine is 340kw out of the box and that's probably about 100kw more than I need - these are very light cars and are f*#$ing scary when you mash it.

Yes I know that might sound counter-productive in a Cobra, but there is actually a limit to useful power. If you can tick the noise and lumpy idle box, anything from a mild rebuild 5.0L, to an LSX, to a big block, all have enough grunt to generate a big smile. My point being simply that power alone should not drive your final engine decision. If you want to register it then your choices become fairly few.
Gaz64, xb-60, kyleb and 2 others like this.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I reckon first you need to figure out if you want full rego. or is club reg available in Tasmania?
If so what is the requirements?

If you want full rego then an FE is still an option, but will have to either run on LPG or have a lot of time and dollars spent meeting emission regs.
Then you also have noise level considerations too.
Gaz64 likes this.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

The 'run on lpg' loophole closed years ago in states which require emissions testing. (So NSW and Vic).
boxhead likes this.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Isnt there a fully registered alloy bodied CAMmcoyotteeeeER engine rego'd in QLD....
Old 06-26-2017, 12:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeve View Post
The 'run on lpg' loophole closed years ago in states which require emissions testing. (So NSW and Vic).
Lucky he is building for Tasmania then.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

His name says Tassie, his location lists Vic.... hence my comment.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Tassie,

Heed the advice of several on here; build it for what you want to use it for.

Clearly identify the use intended - then considering cost and rego requirements, pick the engine that fits. There may be a few options here but this will narrow it down somewhat.

If you're asking the question "which engine" then you must have no preconceived desires. Keep it simple.

an LSA or LS9 will give you more power than you can use in these cars without a good traction control system. I went for a run in a work mates new GTS last week and it was just insane - 430kW LSA I think. If it didn't employ all the latest driver aids, I don't know if I'd be here writing this. My point is don't get hooked on bigger is better. What suits and what is easily registrable, is better.

In Aus the kit brand or build quality will affect the resale more so than the engine choice, but the car should ultimately be what you want, not what the next guy wants.
kyleb, SydneyChris and TassieCobra like this.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

Mine runs on LPG and the emission test guy reckons it makes no difference trying to get it down enough. It all depends on the cats. Even a carby with euro cats will get the emissions legal.
JD
Old 06-27-2017, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Plenty of good replies regarding engine choice. I agree with those who state that given the realities of your local regulations and market environment, go for the least painful and satisfying alternative - probably the LS series and maybe even with a supercharger option if you want to be a bit over the top.

I have a question though - if you are not a purist and an originality freak (which would mandate a Ford FE powerplant), why on earth would you want the expense, wait time and fragility of alumin(i)um bodywork? If it's for bragging rights, then that is instantly erased by a non-original (ie: Ford 427 FE) engine choice.

A cobra replica with an expensive and relatively problematic aluminum body and non original details like an "alternative" engine, dual roll bars, interior comfort features, etc., etc. is no more prestigious than a well executed, more durable and pain-free 'glass bodied car that looks and drives just as good with the same features.

Here's the conversation:

Joe Blow: "It's a kit car."

You: "It's got an aluminum body"

Joe: "But it's still a kit car, right?"

I'm not at all being critical in the negative sense - just sharing my genuine thoughts.
LoBelly and Gaz64 like this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 06-27-2017 at 06:49 PM..
Old 06-27-2017, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
I have a question though - if you are not a purist and an originality freak (which would mandate a Ford FE powerplant), why on earth would you want the expense, wait time and fragility of alumin(i)um bodywork? If it's for bragging rights, then that is instantly erased by a non-original (ie: Ford 427 FE) engine choice.

I'm not at all being critical in the negative sense - just sharing my genuine thoughts.
Thanks Buzz,

I think you raise a very valid point (and one that I have started a new thread about). Is an aluminium/alloy body worth the hassle? Should be interesting to get opinions from both sides.

Thanks again

Hugh
Old 06-27-2017, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone,

There has been some really great advice. I think the biggest thing for me to take home is that max power is not always the best thing.

Come to think of it, back in the good old days I had a V8 holden with 260kw - that was lots of fun (and a bit slippery on wet roads!).

I will let you all know how I go!

Thanks again for all of the help

Hugh
Old 06-27-2017, 09:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There's 3 I know of. Damage and Bernies Kirkham and AlbanyCobras AP which he's sold. Bernie was looking to sell his Kirkham to. Im sure they'll chime in with some good points.

For me I'd say unless I could legally, and I mean legally have a nice 427, toploader and alloy body (or 289 FAI equivalant) combo to look as close to the real McCoy as I could, I wouldnt. And its well established unless I owned a real one I cant have that combo. And I'll never own a real one!! LOL

Mind you the ones in my shed are real enough to me.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypt View Post
There's 3 I know of. Damage and Bernies Kirkham and AlbanyCobras AP which he's sold. Bernie was looking to sell his Kirkham to. Im sure they'll chime in with some good points.
Thanks Spookypt - I have just opened a new thread about it so will be interesting to see what is said about aluminium bodies (both good and bad)
Old 06-27-2017, 11:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
A cobra replica with an expensive and relatively problematic aluminum body and non original details like an "alternative" engine, dual roll bars, interior comfort features, etc., etc. is no more prestigious than a well executed, more durable and pain-free 'glass bodied car that looks and drives just as good with the same features.
But Buzz, that's not really why one would choose aluminium...
We all have Kit cars, aluminium or otherwise. Unless of course you dont... ie: CSX3xxx

For example I chose aluminium because of the artisan craftmanship appeal, purely for the aesthetic!
You can bog fill raw aluminium. Others would have their own reasons.

Quote:
Here's the conversation:

Joe Blow: "It's a kit car."

You: "It's got an aluminum body"

Joe: "But it's still a kit car, right?"

The conversation doesn't really play out that way. More so like this...

Joe: "It's a kit car?"

You: "Yes!"

Joe: "But it's got an aluminium body, it must be real right?"

You: "Yes it has an aluminium body, but it ain't any more real than the next kit car, it just got an aluminium body!"

Joe: "Wow, looks awesome..."

You: "Thanks! I pass the word on to those who built it!"
Buzz, LoBelly, Cobra72 and 1 others like this.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just out of interest (now that I can post photos) - how do you guys think I can roughly match this engine below and still meet Australian regulatory requirements.

I probably would not be too concerned about the power (as per the advice of previous posts) but if I do choose to go with the cost/extra work of aluminium body I suppose it should match under the hood. (Although I am still tempted by an LSA or other)

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2017, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

It is possible to get a "similar" look with a LS engine that should comfortably pass emissions:

deano59, Gaz64, Jaydee and 2 others like this.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

I would like to see how they have done it under the air cleaner that's the look I want for my LS .. I have seen people do it like this
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2017, 10:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Deano I think that is Phils Orphan. Look at the back of the cleaner/manifold - see the snorkel? That is the stock LS manifold turned around backwards, so inlet is on the rear. Have a look on the googler there are a few sites that explain how to reverse the manifold.
deano59 likes this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: