Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 04-03-2004, 03:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     
Default T56

Well I finally built up enough courage to take to my gearbox with the hacksaw, angle grinder, mill & welder today, I must say after alot of aprehension (sic) I took alot of time before cutting the selector rod (too scared)

But after getting started I found it wasnt as difficult as i thought and all appears to have worked out well.

Know I just need to buy a shifter and test it out.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. 6 litre Chev
Not Ranked     

Boxhead,

Know how you feel. I must have measured that shaft a dozen times before I cut it. Cutting and grinding the other bits went OK.

But in the end it was really very straight forward. Mikes instructions were spot on.

Just make sure the bottom and top of the shifter housing is ground out enough to let the idents select properly.

Its also worth the time and effort to refit the reverse lockout to the new selector position. I didnt and wish I had as its easy to pick up reverse when lookng for 5th. I just need more practice.

You will really like the feel of the shifter , very positive.

Regards,

Phil
Old 04-04-2004, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival kit. LS1 motor. T56 Tremec 6 speed. 17" replica Halibrand wheels.
Not Ranked     

Know the feeling when you start to cut that shaft and you only hope you have done the right thing. What shift did you use Phil. I reused the original linkages after much machining etc. and it seems very direct and easy to shift in static mode, so I hope its ok when up and going. Fitting the lockout soleniod was pretty easy but you need to be able to tap thread for the solenoid to fit. I bought the tap so if any of you guys want to use I can courier to you as tap was around $50 and couriers are cheap.
Leeroy
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2004, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Leeroy,

Impressed you were able to reuse GMH item. Thats $400 you saved.

I used B&M 45051. I liked it because of its heavy duty look.

Your colour scheme sounds great. You might like to use parking globes I picked up on weekend. They are LED cluster and when lit up are a light blue colour. Not sure if legal but would look good with your paint / trim scheme. You will have to get blue covers for your instrument globes. The red ones worked for my set up.

cheers,

Phil
Old 04-04-2004, 09:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

My reverse lock out solenoid screwed straight into the houseing where the large screw bung came out from, didnt need to retap any threads.

I havent got a shifetr yet but was looking at the 45052 as Mike used.

Did the 45051 screw straight on without drilling new mounting holes?

I think the 45052 needs to be shortened and redrilled.

Leeroy did your shifter line up ok? Because my original shifter was offset so I couldnt see how I could reuse it.

I can get a 45051 or 45052 through work for $357.00.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My box ( ex VX SS) did not come with screw out bung

The B&M shifter required some filing of mounting holes but not much. Make sure the mounting bolts dont bottom out.

The model mike used dosent seem to have clearance problems I experienced with housing. Our gear boxes are different externally and maybe the ratios are different also.

I also cut threaded section off shifter to get it shorter then glued on custom made knob. Dont laugh at glue. Couldnt get knob off with 18" pipe wrench. Came off with heat, the glue melted made gas and knob lifted off. So did my head dont know what was in that glue.

Phil
Old 04-04-2004, 10:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival kit. LS1 motor. T56 Tremec 6 speed. 17" replica Halibrand wheels.
Not Ranked     

Seems that there is a lot of variations around with the T56 as Mikes was different to mine and he was able to screw reversing soleniod straight in also. My shift was also offset but with hacksaw, milling machine and many VB's the job got done. I allowed a large opening in body over shifter if my labotomy on shifter turns out to be useless and I will then get a shifter like Mikes and bolt on. Feels good at this stage though so we will see!!
Leeroy
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2004, 10:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Leeroy,

You did good. Maybe I should swap from Coopers to VB for my inspration.

Phil
Old 04-04-2004, 10:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

MMMmmmmmmmmm !!!!
Attached Images

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: