Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 07-04-2004, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     
Default Stainless radiator pipes

Hi Guys,

Got a bit done on the Cobra over the week end. I got the radiator mounted and made up some stainless radiator pipe work.

After seeing how neat and tidy looking Leeroys stailess radiator pipes were I thought I'd try making a set myself. I did these using off the shelf 316 stainless mandrel bends and tube and then cut and welded them together. They have turned out pretty good. I've still got to linish back the welds on the lower pipe and polish it. The 316 stainless comes up like chrome with a little work. The couplings are a fibeglass reinforced silicone hose and should be plenty strong whilst having a bit of flex for the motor to move.

Here's a pic: Radiator pipes

One more step closer to engine fire up. I better pull finger If I want to get to the nationals.

Cheers

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 07-04-2004 at 05:30 PM..
Old 07-04-2004, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Heyy...nice work Mike.

Talking about the dark side. We know you're all worried about the competition from Queensland at the Nationals but do you have to send spies to check on us ?

That Nassty fella turned up for brekky today with the Queensland Cobra club crew at Sanctuary Cove .

We fixed him tho Mike. Craig took him for a drive around the resort just to show him what real horsepower is like.

Last I saw of your spy he was standing weak kneed on the footpath muttering incoherently about short braking distances.

Good to meet ya Al ... hope you enjoyed the day.

Mike... again ... nice work on the pipes.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Les,

I'm glad Al got a chance to meet you guys. It's so much more fun to stir people up when you've met them in person

Seriously though you've probably ruined him for riding in any other cobras. The performance of all the others is just going to be Ho-Hum after a blast in Craigs beast.

You better not have turned him to the light.

How's your car progressing Les? Are you going to be on the road for the nationals?

Cheers

Old 07-04-2004, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Mike...Nope, wont be finished by that time...although close.

Actually, I tried very hard to get time off for the nationals so I could come and support the Queensland fellas. Not that they need much support though.

Unfortunately, there is a certain amount of nutritional value in my job....If I dont do the work...I dont eat. , so work won out again.

Wished I had a normal 9:00 to 5:00, five days a week job. maybe the cobra would be finished if it wasn't for the weekend interruptions.
Old 07-04-2004, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 2000 - FORD Powered 302EFI
Not Ranked     

Les,

What's your definition of "close"?

Is that in days, weeks, months or years?

Hey,

When's this "Surprise Event" happening?

Its about time I got my car out and about again - even the rego has run out!
Old 07-04-2004, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

Like your pipes, I picked up some salvage stainless L-1011 engine fuel lines, they turned out to be the perfect size and already had 90 degree bends. Talk about
maintence free!!!!!

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 07-04-2004, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's a cool looking carb setup you've got there Perry.

Cheers

Old 07-05-2004, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     
Default Back in your bucket Les!

G'day !

Well, I had good time meeting up with all the Qld boys on Sunday. Friendly bunch of fellows except for Les He tried twice the fatal mistake of trying to hang it on my RR. Both times he was shot down in a ball of flames. Funny to watch I've never had to defend my RR's honour - she beats me to it every time!

Seriously (for a very brief moment) great bunch of blokes (yes even Les) and they made Pauline and I very welcome! Good to finally meet some users of CC in person.

As for Craig's beast - well.......Ummmmm.........HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!!

Perhaps this should be the start of a new thread - I feel a hijacking comming on.

There has been threads about Garrets 550rwhp etc and how it is now necessary to pack a change of undies for a ride in his cob. Well, if you need undies for Garret's (Justbetter) then you're gonna need NAPPIES for Craig's (750hp) or else you'll be swimming in it.

Previously, the most powerful cobra I have driven was Laurie Bongailas' 383ic blown cobra which he says produces about 650 to 700HP. It was a blast to actually drive it but frankly borderline scary! Well, from the passenger seat Craig's was scarier
So I'd can only guess what it must feel like to actually be in the driving seat when all 850 horses kick in.

When all those horses do kick in all I could say was FiretrUCK followed by uncontrolable laughter

Thanks for the blast Craig!

Now, back to the thread. Nice pipes Mike!

Cheers and thanks to all for Sunday!

Last edited by NASSTY; 07-05-2004 at 09:16 PM..
Old 07-05-2004, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     
Default Pic of Craig and I in his Cob

Note this pic was taken b4 our spin around the block when I was still smiling and relaxed.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I have 2 questions with the pipes as shown
1- are the stainless pipes fixed to the chassis somehow? if so then is there going to be enough flex in the short hoses at the engine?
2- If the pipes arent fixed to the chassis then is there too much weight in them to be hanging from the radiator outlets? especially if radiator has soldered joints.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Boxhead...I was too polite to ask any questions in my last post .. Can't ya tell Mike needs all the encouragement we can muster.

Anyways ... I don't have an issue with the flex couplings...they look Ok to me....well....looks like there are some missing clamps but I'm not telling Mike that cuz he'll prolly come up with some excuse.

I'm just waiting to see what he invents to keep that alternator out of the puddles.

Ohh, and Al, who said I was blown down in flames?. You just wait till you fall out of favor with the missus and see if she doesn't mention it.

Anyways, was good to meet ya....that makes two Southerners we can call honorary Queenslanders. Can't remember who the other one is/was
Old 07-05-2004, 10:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi David,

Good questions, and ones I've thought about quite a bit too.

The pipes aren't fixed to the chassis at all. In fact I made sure there was adequate clearance all round them so they don't knock against the chassis as the engine moves.

The pipes are made from 1.6mm wall stainless tube and surprisingly I think they are as light or lighter than the equivalent rubber hose would be.

There is a 1" gap between the end of each pipe and the radiator fitting or engine block fitting. The silicone hose spans this joint and the gap between allows the hose enough chance to flex with the movement of the motor. Also once I trim the silicone coupling hoses down a bit it will also give me enough clearance to slide the pipes back and forth to make getting them attached easier.

How's your project going? You need to send me some progress pics and some details for the Dark Side web page.

Cheers

Old 07-05-2004, 10:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Boxhead...I was too polite to ask any questions in my last post .. Can't ya tell Mike needs all the encouragement we can muster.
Actually I need some one to beat me with a stick to get me to the nationals on time.

Anyways ... I don't have an issue with the flex couplings...they look Ok to me....well....looks like there are some missing clamps but I'm not telling Mike that cuz he'll prolly come up with some excuse.
All just stuck in place to see if they fit OK. Clamps will be applied after final polishing.

I'm just waiting to see what he invents to keep that alternator out of the puddles.
What are you talking about? It doesn't rain in Melbourne. Actually the alternator is pretty close to the original position on these motors and the cross member should deflect most of the splashes

Ohh, and Al, who said I was blown down in flames?. You just wait till you fall out of favor with the missus and see if she doesn't mention it.
I think the flames Al is refering to were from a party trick involving a large dinner of baked beans and gabbage and a cigarette lighter. One of Les' specialties I'm told

Anyways, was good to meet ya....that makes two Southerners we can call honorary Queenslanders. Can't remember who the other one is/was
I'll be up your way towards the end of this month. It'd be good to catch up again

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 07-05-2004 at 10:45 PM..
Old 07-06-2004, 03:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Mike - as usual, you're making some beautiful parts for your car. A real credit to you. Have you loaded any pics / details on your website? All I can see are the names, but nothing else. Let us know when you're planning on coming up, and we'll definitely have to catch up again. Les might even stay for a meal this time!

Al - it was good to meet up with another Cobra guy. You're really lucky to have a wife that shares your enthusiasm about the cars, too. The fact that she could hold her own against Qld's official ****stirrer is even more impressive ! Sorry the drive was such a short one, but I was hoping that you could join up with the rest of the cars for the trip to the Dam. Next time you're up here, maybe I can show you how he car feels with some Nitto drag radial tyres, and therefore better traction. The datalogging showed maximum throttle position of 62%, so there's a bit left for you for next time.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

LOL @ Mike, i didnt realise the dark side thingy under your sig was a link to a website.

I showed my wife and she asked where you got the photo of me from, I didnt think my ears stuck out that far.

I am currently reassembleing my motor with new rings, bearings and gaskets, I have scored a second LS1 that I will build up after my car is finished, that way I can get used to it with a standard motor first and build a better one when money permits.

I have added some pics I took last night to my gallery

I should have the engine and gearbox fitted to the chassis by sunday night.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.

Last edited by boxhead; 07-06-2004 at 05:41 AM..
Old 07-06-2004, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 07-09-2004 at 02:32 AM..
Old 07-06-2004, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up All ready for the Nationals at Goulbourn!!

Looks like everyone is making good progress for the nationals.

KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 07-09-2004 at 02:30 AM..
Old 07-06-2004, 07:49 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

I have already replaced the radiator hoses with hard lines but want to do the smaller heater hoses. Has any one else done this and what material did you use?
Thanks
Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 07-08-2004, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by rdorman

I have already replaced the radiator hoses with hard lines but want to do the smaller heater hoses. Has any one else done this and what material did you use?
Thanks
Rick
Hi Rick,

You should be able to do them in stainless just the same as the radiator pipes. You can get stainless mandrel bends in small sizes that would do for heater lines or possible even bend stainless tube with a plumbers tube bender.

Cheers

Old 07-08-2004, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Craig,

I haven't had much time to work on the Dark Side web page lately as work has been busy. I'm currently collecting pictures of everones rides and I'll be uploading them soon.

I'll definitely drop you guys a line before I head up your way. It'll bee good to catch up for another meal and some Cobra talk.

Cheers

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: