Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2004, 11:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, GenIII, LS6, 6 speed T56
Not Ranked     
Talking New Cobra Addict

I have purchased a Kit from Ian at Classic Revival. If all goes to plan I should pick it up mid August. I've been a Cobra enthusiast as long as I can remember, (although from a distance). There is simply nothing to compare to the look and sound of these awesome machines. I have no reason to doubt that the driving experience will live up to my expectations.

Anyway I have enjoyed reading the various threads that you all post.

If I may, a few questions;

1. Engines - I had considered the generation III 5.7 injected Chevy, however have heard rumours about a 6 litre and 6.2 litre version that may be available in Australia soon. The rumour surrounds the Monaro upgrades. Has anyone any information about this?

2. Build manuals - I have Ian’s, but can you direct me to any other manuals, texts etc that would help in the build process?

3. Colour - Paint - I want to use my Cobra as much as possible ( not a show room display car ) but I also know that the quality of paint finish can make or brake a car‘s looks. Is two pack the best option? What about number of clear finish coats? What about metallic finishes? And what about these paints on fibreglass?

I have a thousand other questions, but they can wait for a another time.

It is great to know I can talk to others who have at some time been where I am now!

Cheers SNKBTE
( definitely bitten )
Old 08-06-2004, 02:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 99% it will be Classic Revival,Might have to join the boys on the DARK side.
Send a message via ICQ to STASIK A4 Send a message via AIM to STASIK A4 Send a message via Yahoo to STASIK A4
Not Ranked     

Welcome aboard....
the person you want to hasstle about everything is (Aussie Mike) He seems to know alot of stuff...
Good choice on the kit.... ill be ordering one aswell sometime soon......
Old 08-06-2004, 02:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Heyy..welcome to the funny farm snkbte.

Firstly, what you gotta get inta ya head is: In this great land of OZ...there are four types of cobraphiles.

Of these four types..only the first three are considered normal..well..as normal as cobra owners can be that is..

The first..and most revered type, are those who own a real cobra. It doesn't matter what other faults these folks have, they head the list.

The second, and this constitutes the bulk of us....are owners of any fiberglass clone cobra which is powered by any motor manufactured by FORD and reside anywhere in the land of Oz.

Third, a minority group, but respected to a small respect, own any clone which is powered by some other make of motor. Chevs, Toyotas (sometimes referred to as a Lexus to lift the image). These folks can be found in any geographical location.

Lastly...ermm... I gotta be a little diplomatic here... are owners of any clone of a cobra, powered mostly by chevs, and they reside mostly in one state, but are known to corrupt others outside their preferred digs. These folks swill beer made outside of Queensland, thrive in a climate considered hostile, have electric horseless carriages driving down their main streets, and even make right hand turns from the left hand lane of the road.

This last lot are known as " The dark side".....stay away from them!!!

now...to your questions:

First question..I dunno...better yet ..I dont wanna know.
Second question... http://www.erareplicas.com/427/cindex.htm
Third....usually the finish is a 2 pack .. metallic, illusion, solid. Really is a personal choice...Paint on fiberglass requires some " special" primers and surfacers.

and....this site is where you will get all the questions to ya answers.

Lastly...dont take too much notice of whats said on this site unless it is of a technical nature. Most of the rest is BS.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Welcome Snkbte.

Nice to see another NSW member since we seem to have a shortage of them on here. Plenty of Victorians but too many Queenslanders

Pneal is another Sydney side Classic Revival builder and would be a good guy to talk with on here.

As to your questions:

Engines, Yep 2005 models sees the release of the LS2 which now displaces 6.0 litres and makes about 300KW factory stock. It's pretty much a redesign and refinement job on the LS1 and LS6 and many of the parts will be interchangable. Things have been redesigned ant tweeked and there were rumors that it was going to be a twin cam pushrod but I don't think that panned out. I believe US cars for 2005 are getting them but I'm not sure yet if the Aussie cars will get the LS2. Unfortunately even if they do you probably won't see any new crate motors or wrecked cars appearing for another year.

Classic Revival build manual, It's a bit basic. Your best resource is asking the guys on here who have built or are still building for the detail info. There's quite a few of us now and we've all built them different ways so I'm sure someone will be able to supply an answer for you.

Paint. Notice that the the word Paint starts with "Pain". I'm working on getting mine ready for paint at the moment. I've done pretty much everything else on my car but I'm leaving the paint to a professional. Try to find some one who is experienced with prepping fiberglass bodies because a whole bunch of different techniques and materials are required for a lasting quality finish.

Les is right on one point (first time for everything ) Most of the posts in here are either technical or giving each other a stir. It's a laugh all in good fun and they are a great bunch of felow enthusiasts whom I like and respect.

So come on in, open a beverage of your choice and put your feet up.

Cheers

Old 08-06-2004, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Welcome Snkbte, nice choice of kit. I didnt know a thing about cars when I started 2 years ago but it has been great fun throughout. The first thing I did was to get copies from Jaguar and Ford spare parts on the front and rear ends. If you think they could be helpful I can fax them to you. The guys are right about the spray, find someone who knows how to work with fibreglass. As for paint, Im going to use 2 pack because I like that toffee apple look compared to acrylic. Again Welcome. Regards.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Hey there Snkbte.

I too am another one from the dark side (although I dont reside in Victoria). And I have a Classic Revival car.

Regarding your questions, the LS1 does come in differing sizes and also you can get them in cast iron, in Australia Holden only fit the 5.7 litre alloy version.

You can get any number of cranks to enlarge the displacement with these engines.

Regarding build manuals, I am useing Ian's manual and alot of info from this site.

Paint it any coclor you like and use any type you like (2 pak is best for a car used alot)

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, Gen3 ls1, Vortech T-Trim, Motec, tremec M12, wilwood brakes.
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the mad house snkbte

I am sure you are in for some late nights and the dreaded cobra frustration that can go with it.

I would check that your engineer would pass the 6lt cast iron block ls1 as this motor has not past any ADR's and might cause a fem problems down the track (just food for thought).

Craig W
Old 08-07-2004, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 2000 - FORD Powered 302EFI
Not Ranked     

Welcome Snkbte,

Congratulations on your purchase - they are indeed a special car and loved by most.

Regards engine choice choose whatever your budget allows. Other than this Site, I've never come across anyone who critisises what is under the bonnet.

Paint - Again personal preference. My car is both 2-pac and acrylic (cobra paints) as it had a partial respray. Most wouldn't and couldn't tell the difference. Like any paint work, its not the paint its the prep work prior to the painting.

Enjoy the banter and I'm sure you'll pick up good advise as these guys and few gals are certainly a helpful bunch.

Enjoy.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Under re-construction
Not Ranked     
Wink

Welcome Snkbte

I have not received my kit as yet but I`ve already learnt heaps from these guys.
There seems to be an answer for all the questions that you might want to ask.
And if they don`t know they will point you in the right direction to find them.
An absolute wealth of knowledge just waiting to be tapped.

You will even get a few laughs along the way.

Good luck with the build.

Regards

Nick
Old 08-07-2004, 11:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance AUS002, Chev 5.7 with hairdryer
Not Ranked     
Talking he he he

Welcome

Free accomodation in melbourne.

Free Beer.

Free information about Cobra building.

Free introduction and membership to THE DARK SIDE...

Come on down, we would love to talk to you about the right way to go about this venture.

Come

Come

COME

Join Us, we are stong, we are many...

Feel the force...
Old 08-08-2004, 02:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Gawwddd!!
Old 08-08-2004, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival kit. LS1 motor. T56 Tremec 6 speed. 17" replica Halibrand wheels.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Snkbte,
good news on your recent purchase. As said there is all the help you need here on the site with plenty of CR builders & owners to assist. You will soon learn that the manual is only a guide & that the experiences of all here will serve as your best help, good choice and remember the darkside is calling you.
Cheers Leeroy
Old 08-08-2004, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

G'day Snkbte!

Welcome to CC.

In regards to Q1 I too have read stuff about Monaro/GTO upgrades to LS2 sooner rather than later cause GTO in the states is struggling to meet the 20,000 (which is bugger all) projected sales per year in the states. I heard that LS2 may be introduced by the end of this year to help sales but don't hold your breath. However, judging by the upgrades to Munro recently, they're building them to US spec here now. Also rumered is that HSV will get the 6.2 version, however, they always had the option of the LS6 6.0 but never took it so who knows?

Have fun building!
Old 08-08-2004, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 302 windsor, trickflow heads, gt 40 intake, 65 mm throttle body, autronic computer, custom headers, glimer drive , toploader
Not Ranked     
Talking dont join

As much as you will be swayed by many on the dark side try to stay away from them ; It will only lead to s******s and a lot of back turning . Now the reality the land of OZ is getting harder and harder to get your car registered before doing anything, get guidance from your engineer . You need to make a decision on the engine you want to be using please dont commit to something that cant be registered. No matter what any one says most people will have no idea whats under the bonnet.. Id hate to say it but the LS1 idea is actually the most simplest but it will come with a certain amount of pain.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR / 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

I dunno but I have seemed to notice that Cobra replicas powered from the "dark side" don't command as high of a resale value as the replicas that use a well designed powerplant
Old 08-08-2004, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chuck,

That car of yours sure looks like mine!

I'm with you from a resale point of view.

However, resale only applies when you want to sell.

These cars are fun and if you get fun having a better engine (debatable) then go with the fun.

I prefer being on the bright side as apposed to the dark side, but thats why they are in Victoria and I'm here in sunny QLD (23 today in middle of winter)
Old 08-09-2004, 01:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RC_Sports Car Replica. Dodge Viper Blue, Candy apple Red stripes 408_Cleveland, 2v heads, twin Gas Research throttle bodies, Full manual stage 3 C10 auto, Jag 3.07 rear.
Not Ranked     

You can chuck a volkie engine in the back and paint it pink.

I personally like the Ford power plant myself.

Get all the advise you want but at the end of the day it's your car,
do it as you please.

23 degrees in the middle of winter.
and 23 inches of rain in the middle of summer
gotta love the troppics.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jason - don't go there

Sub tropppics thank you and as you know the rain falls during the night

Talking about volkie engines I did come across a guy in the UK who fitted a porsche into the back of his Cobra - Improved his boot space, but not sure on the sound of it.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. 6 litre Chev
Not Ranked     

snkbte,

You will be happy with the CR. I saw yours under construction at Ians on Monday. If you want to know all about the bits not in Ians Manual this site is the place to find it as there are a few CR's being built. I live close to Ians workshop so if you are in the area make contact and I will happily show you how mine turned out.

Phil
Old 08-10-2004, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Must resist the dark side.. ...... Must resist the dark side.....