Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2007, 02:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #73 with an L76 6 litre CHEV, T56, 6SPEED,R32 Rear end.
Not Ranked     
Default Put my order in...

Thought I'd let you all know what I have been spending $$$$ on.
I originally was looking at an LS2 for the Harrison, but as of yesterday I ordered an L76. Still the 6 litre chev, but from the SS commodore not the HSV that the LS2's are in. Standard 270kw and 510Nm.
Brand new, with all the bits to make her start up i.e ECU, harness, alternator, starter, etc...
And $2000 cheaper than the LS2.
Should go great with the T56, 6 speed, billet aluminium flywheel and heavier clutch, pressure plate I already have in the shed.

AND my body and chassis should be about 1 more week before I can pick them up from Warwicks factory!!!

Yahoo!!!

Mick
Old 03-10-2007, 03:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Mick, that will make one hell of a cobra.

Don't underestimate the L76 mate. It has a tiny cam but the basis is all there for one very very healthy engine.

Cheers

Last edited by Rebel1; 03-11-2007 at 03:39 AM..
Old 03-10-2007, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi there...

A good engine choice. Good gains can be had from a maf tune and decent cold air induction set up. The restrictions on the maf are no where near as severe as on the LS1's so Mafless tunes do not provide huge gains.

Tune and CAI should net you close to or over 250rwkw without too much fuss.

Sled
Old 03-11-2007, 12:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Schipps - nice work there. Mind me asking where you're getting all the bits? And I saw your almost-finished body/chassis on Friday when I visited Warwick's factory, it was probably the one on the floor he was showing me, as I'm looking to buy one soon.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #73 with an L76 6 litre CHEV, T56, 6SPEED,R32 Rear end.
Not Ranked     

Sambo,

I am getting the engine and all the ancillary bits from WASP, World Automotive Surplus parts, in Ballarat Vic. As it turns out, WASP, are the spare parts arm of Ballarat Holden.
They buy in bulk (30 motors at a time)and get a good discount from holden. However for the LS2, holden won't give them a price advantage.
I was a bit worried about forking out all that cash to a "foreign" company and not receiving anything, but they took a small deposit and I am paying C.O.D.

Mick
Old 03-11-2007, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Mick, GMH have a surplus engine sell out. The offer is available from several holden retailers.

Here is a link to Holmart offering the same deal on the Oz Ls1 site.

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthre...&highlight=L76

Sounds like a great deal.

You might also want to read this: http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ine_l92_heads/

Although this shoot out was based on an LS2 block ( not unlike the L76) it shows the potential of this combo.

Cheers
Old 03-12-2007, 02:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rebel 1,

Thanks for the links. Interesting article on the L92 heads. Looks like a great base to start from the L76 with loads of potential

cheers
Old 03-12-2007, 03:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You betcha Mick, cam and tune will give you a serious traction problem. The L92 heads would turn that into a seriously fast track car.

I'm trying to find out what heads the L76 has as standard.

Cheers
Old 03-12-2007, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I remember reading that the LS2 has the heads off the Z06 Corvette (supercar) and GM's version of variable valve timing. If I get time tomorrow I'll try to find the link for the article comparing it with the L76. No doubt either engine would turn the Cobra into a monster.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just ripped this off another forum:

"The L76 is a LS2 bottom end with L92 truck heads on it. The L76 heads are based on the LS7 design and the intakes from the LS1/LS6 are different. The LS2 uses LS6 heads (at least here in Aust). Not much R&D has been done with the L76 yet but GM Motorsport are doing some atm (there is a thread)
Thanks"

The thread is located at: http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=56662

This is also of interest from: http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=51816:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8 V8
Is the L76 running the same PCM/code as the LS2?

"No different PCM , its a E38 the LS2 uses a E40 . Different architecture and processor , the E40 uses a motorola and the new one use a powerpc chipset.
Expect something in the next few months , all the EFILIVE team are looking forward to it"

If all the above is right Mick, then all you need is a better cam and Tune, maybe the better ECU but one of the (cough) darksiders will respond.

Cheers

Last edited by Rebel1; 03-12-2007 at 05:38 AM..
Old 03-13-2007, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: The one leaving fat black marks
Not Ranked     

What sort of $$ for a the gear box... I have a project in the wind.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Les, seems to me you could easily replace the L with a P... Hmm P76 now that's a worry!
Old 03-13-2007, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Todd, the T56 6 spd manual is around $6000 new. I've seen them for as little as $1500 second hand. I'm looking at getting the engine/box/ecu, in fact the whole box and dice new (LS2) for around $14,000.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypt
Hey Les, seems to me you could easily replace the L with a P... Hmm P76 now that's a worry!
Hey Matt, there is a line I just wont cross mate.

Having said that, I remember when the rover V8 as fitted to the P76 was a popular cobra engine.

Cheers
Old 03-13-2007, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo
Todd, the T56 6 spd manual is around $6000 new. I've seen them for as little as $1500 second hand. I'm looking at getting the engine/box/ecu, in fact the whole box and dice new (LS2) for around $14,000.
Now that IS a good deal sambo. How you doin that?
Old 03-13-2007, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote from:- Todd Knight: What sort of $$ for a the gear box... I have a project in the wind.

Guys,

I got a fully reconditioned T56 with braided lines. Had the shift changed to a centre shift ( specially for Cobras) with a Hurst shifter from mal Wood Automotive in Warwick , Qld. for $4370. Mal is one of those guys who loves what he does and it certainly shows in his work.

http://www.tremec.com.au/

cheers
Old 03-13-2007, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1
Now that IS a good deal sambo. How you doin that?
I had a chat with Warwick Harrison, I think they get them through Ballarat Holden Surplus down here in Vic. Also Bay City Holden - I've got my notes at home, can't remember which one offered that price.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival (CR3204) 6ltr s/c, T56 6spd
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo
Hi Sambo,
I'm also looking at the LS2/T56 combo. I've already ordered my gearbox, but am still on the search for an LS2. I'm curious to know where you can get the whole lot for $14k The quotes I've had so far is $9k for an LS2 crate engine or about $14k for the engine/starter/altenator/flywheel/clutch/ECU and engine loom.

$14k including a new gearbox sounds like top deal
Luke....
Old 03-13-2007, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Luke - perhaps I've crossed some wires there. Let me check my notes tonight - it might be excluding the box. Apologies in advance if that's the case!

Personally I don't think the LS2 is worth the extra money over the L76. Displacement on demand is nice but remember these cobras weigh significantly less than HSVs and will use a lot less fuel to begin with.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sambo. The DOD is NOT implemented on the L76. The block is machined for the capability but Holden did not implement it. Most of the DOD hardware fits to the front of the block and it will not fit in the holden body.

The difference between the L76 and the L98 as currently used in the VE is the L98 is devoid of any DOD machining or casting bosses.

Leastwise thats what I'm told.