Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-07-2008, 03:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: King Cobra, QLD - 347 windsor
Not Ranked     
Default ADR 37/01 - Fuel injection

Can any one explain to me in easy to understand language what are the requirements of ADR 37/01 as they relate to fuel injection systems.

My dream for the dual quad carbed LPG system is now officially buried and I'm on to plan "E"

I have approval in principal to run a fuel injection system but need to cut to the chase about what ADR 37 means. My kit date is 2004.

In the NT the Motor Vehicle Registry does not have the capacity to test emmissions, so they apparently agree that certain types of systems are likely to meet the requirements, this must be verified by the engineer. So what have others gotten away with.

I will have a stock standard 302 with alloy heads when I front up. (347 stroker with AFR 185s, mild cam, forged internals and 10.9:1 compression.)

What is the nastiest system I can get away with. It has to be tunable.

Mass-flo is cheap and easy............TWM, Imagine injection, MorrisonOZ are magnificent (pricey), but can I convince the engineer all is good.

I suppose what I am trying to say is, if money wasn't an issue......what would you go for. (And to all the darksiders out there, I will stick to the blue for now.)

I appreciate any advice from those in the know....

Thanks
Hogster
Old 05-07-2008, 04:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival Kobra,LS7 427
Not Ranked     

Hogster
To be honest with you, you have no chance without LPG. If you are using Jack, it will have to be STD gear. He made me get the emissions timing sticker off the corvette!! And P/Ns out of the GM manual to prove the LS7s complience. If it isnt STD MVR wont accept it. I went throught this with a Ram Jet 454 without the emissions statement from GM Jack and MVR knocked it back.
Get some STD EFI set up off a wrecked 302, ED can get tunes for the ford ECUs, paint your alloys black, pass the noise test and you might be in buisness.
Why dont you look at the EFI LPG setups that are around?
If you want a copy of the ADR Iam pretty sure I gave jack a copy. Its full on reading!! Its not so much about EFI its more about the emissions levels and how to test for them, a carby engine can still pass ADR 37/01. Can you run it on unleaded? make sure optimax only!
Talk to jack and see what he will let you get away with. Hes still in the dark on EFI!
At the end of the day you dont want to be out criusing and be picked up by a cop with atitude, defected and have to come up with proof of compliance to MVR to keep it on the road.

Last edited by alffie; 05-07-2008 at 04:44 AM..
Old 05-07-2008, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

I would expect that without performing emissions tests you engineer will want you to present an engin that is known to pass ADR 37/01 emissions requirements.

ADR37/01 compliant engines were phased into Aus between 1997-1999.

ADR37/01 compliant engines can also be sourced from the states. 1990 onwards is easily considered compliant, although people have justified older USA engines.

So I expect you are going to need to present what appears to be a completely stock ADR37/01 compliant Aussie or USA sourced engine to comply with the regulations.

ADR37/01 had no emissions tests for LPG, so you can do anything as long as you run it on LPG. So that's why the (now buried) LPG option worked for you so well.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

I agree with Alffie here. You will have to run the standard EFI set-up for that engine. You will have absolutely no hope of getting an aftermarket EFI set-up through them, (unless you go through the full emissions testing which can only be done in Adelaide or Sydney and costs over $3000 if you pass). With the extra cubes and aftermarket cam, you probably wouldn't pass anyway...
Old 05-07-2008, 06:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

some engineers dont like aftermarket ecus as they can be reprogrammed easily

i think half the engnes out there that are afew years old will fail the full on emision tests

so i guess your lucky u dont have to put yr car thru the full emmission test in the closed room

if u go std efi engine form a std australian car it has already been tested and passed

so its already been approved

www.sideshowsperformancewiring.com.au
Old 05-07-2008, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Hogster

The message is there, all standard parts.

Can you get a matched ecu, airflow, injectors and the other matching bits and piece from a late 90's variant say early AU? You claim the engine as AUI ie compliant and unless the alloy heads have severe valve work don't worry about them.

That way you look the engineer in the eye and say standard engine already approved to be compliant.

Cheers and hope this is of help.

Steve
Old 05-07-2008, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I too think you will need to get the engine looking standard.
Fit one of those big ugly banana tube intakes, If need be fit larger injectors to feed enough fuel.
Once your through then fit what you really want.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force MkII, Ford 429, Tremec TKO, Jag Suspension, Sequential LPG Injection, On The Road.
Not Ranked     

Hi Hogster,

What is the reasoning behind turning your back on LPG ?

I've gone with a LPG injection setup to avoid emissions testing.
The kit is manufactured by: http://www.profire.com.au/
and can be sourced through: http://www.forcefedgas.com.au/
They can provide you with computer, injectors, regs, rails etc.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: King Cobra, QLD - 347 windsor
Not Ranked     

Thanks to all that have responded.

I am currently following up on a Mass-Flo system that is based on Ford parts. According to the manufacturer it is essentially a ford system, using ford components and mimicking a ford system.
Because we aren't actually tested, I have to provide supporting evidence that my vehicle should meet the requirements in principle. If I have that supporting evidence from others that have gone through the testing regime and passed, the engineer sees no reason why it should not comply "in principle"

I must say the manufacturer has been very supportive thus far while I try and strengthen my case for submission. I just need some Californian assistance from anyone running a Mass-Flo with a Ford 302 that is compliant. I'm led to believe that their compliance is more difficult than ours, so it should be OK.

I think that the whole procedure here is simply a backside covering exercise, and that if possible the engineer will let it go through as long as the submission is reasonable. Supporting documentation is the key.

Worse case scenario is the Factory manifold and EFI, paint the heads.....

Andrew429 - Having come to the realisation that the dual quad impco's aren't going to fit I've decided to get my boot space back. That's the clincher, if I can get this case together for the Mass-Flo system and get it approved I will be extremely happy. None of this is set in concrete. I may end up going back to gas....time will tell
Old 05-08-2008, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Excellent choice Hogster .... I am led to believe the mass-flo uses the ford computer so you should be Ok.

The ingenious part of the mass-flo is the chev MAF above the throttle body and hidden in the air cleaner.

Very neat...and looks the part.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: