Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009, 09:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kirkham View Post
Thanks Tom, I am planning to do the plumbing pretty well as discussed in that link you sent.

One neat think they mention is a pressure switch in the LP line to indicate that your Fuel Tank really is empty and your running on the contents of the swirl pot - not a bad idea.

Thanks

Rgds

Gregg
Old 06-06-2009, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav View Post
I had alot of trouble with the VN style in tank pump not delivering, and have now turfed it and installed an intank pump from a 6 ltr LS2 car.
The pump is mounted on the same sender as the old VN unit but I have replaced the old 5/16" solid line with flexible 3/8". The 6ltr pump is rated at probably 50% greater flow than a LS1 pump and at greater pressure.
The fuel the flows up the the engine bay with 3/8" line through a filter and into the fuel rail.
From the rear driver side of the fuel rail, the fuel exits the rail and goes to a regulator.
The excess fuel then flows from the reg' to the return of the tank.
I have used this setup for a couple of events and have had no surge or starvation issues.
It is also quiet to boot!
Thanks Gav, I am running 3/8 single rail setup with my Fuel Reg at the rear. My main EFI pump is a Bosch 044 and when I install the Carter LP with swirl pot I reckon I should be ok. Lot of unncessary plumbing I reckon. I should have pursued the in-tank option earlier in my build. But I got half way with the ext method and its hard to turn back.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 06-06-2009, 10:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Fair call.
I wanted the simplest return system possible, so as to ensure that I didn't get vapour locks on even the hottest days.
Stock LS1's don't seem to have an issue with it, but due to the climate here I wasn't going to risk it.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default She goes well now

Its amazing what a constant fuel flow can do to performance.

I finished fittiing my Carter Lift Pump and Swirl Pot tonight and took her for a test spin.

Far out it goes like a dream now. Can go around corners without coughing and spluttering.

Acceleration is good too. It must have been running a bit lean on that too.

The Carter Lift pump is not too loud. Once the engine is running you cant hear it unless you specifically listen for it.

The Surge Tank is only 0.6L and seems to do the job fine, tucks neatly under the boot in the middle near the diff.

Carter LP pump location was a bit tricky as I wanted to put it as low as possible to the pickup. Its about 100mm higher than the pickup and sucks fine.

Diagram below:

Regds

Gregg
Old 07-27-2009, 12:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

For all those folks looking for an in tank pump which will easily feed 340rwkw plus, there is now an improved Ford BA/BF fuel pump module which far outperforms the standard BA/BF pump module.

See here in NSW: http://www.cvperformance.com.au/news.php?show=50

And here in Vic: http://www.herrodmotorsport.com.au/H...3/Default.aspx

They are available in two versions. A sedan version for 200mm deep tanks and a ute version for deeper tanks.

As most know these modules are extremely easy to fit. Now we have ease of fit and decent fuel delivery to support the output of healthy engines.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I bet that's just a stock BA swirl pot with a Walbro pump installed in it.

Cheers

Old 07-27-2009, 02:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Mike, I accused one of the listed traders with that possibility but they advised this unit has a Delphi pump.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Rebel

On Marty Govett's advice I went a secondhand BA sedan in tank pump when I had all my woes and it solved all my issues. Had to get the tank changed but I am glad I did.

But I too recall talking to Petroject about buying a new standard swirl pot from Delphi but much like the Herrod style and they did say you could mount a Hi-Po pump into these units in place of the standard pump used for the Fords.

Walbro was one model replacement pump suggested.

Seems there's more than one way to skin the pump cat.

Last edited by stephen low; 07-27-2009 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: typo's
Old 07-27-2009, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Slowy, I certainly agree the Walbro pump is a huge upgrade in either Ford or Holden in tank modules.

However, prior to these "improved" pumps as I posted then that was the only option. That was to find a second hand (or buy a new one) and fit the Walbro. I know of some owners who have bought NEW in-tank modules and then ripped out the standard pump to install the Walbro. How much does that cost in the end?.

Having said that, I am only advising of a newly available higher capacity pump that folks can buy off the shelf without all that messing about. In the end who gives a $hit if the dealer is offering new buckets with a better pump fitted. It just saves some-one the trouble of sourcing the bits and putting it all together.

There is one smaller issue I was drawn to. That was the fact that this "improved" unit is rated at 200Lph at 60lbs pressure. The Walbro is often referred to as a 255Ltr but at what pressure. I have been advised that to be only 43psi and this seems to be confirmed on the Walbro site:

http://69.16.165.8/category.aspx?id=147

This new pump also just makes it into the BA tank cutout whereas the standard pump modules literally falls in with clearance so the pot is slightly larger.

It makes little difference to me as I have a Carter feeding a swirl tank so my needs are met, but newer builders may find knowledge of this new pump to be of interest.

Last edited by Rebel1; 07-27-2009 at 04:11 AM..
Old 07-28-2009, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force
Not Ranked     

Hi Greg
I've gone with the standard VZ pump and reg mounted in my swirl pot ,with a Carter lift pump attached to it. Have just finished building it and bolting it in the car.
Its a pretty simple system so I think It should work fine.

Dave
Old 07-28-2009, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Nice, very nice.

Regards.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison Kit - 5.4 motor from F150, T45 Mustang gearbox
Not Ranked     

I have the separate lift pump, swirl pot, high pressure pump setup, but the one described by WKB is a whole lot easier and more cost effective, and does the same job. It's the way to go IMHO.
Cheers
Pete
Old 07-30-2009, 03:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dore View Post
I have the separate lift pump, swirl pot, high pressure pump setup, but the one described by WKB is a whole lot easier and more cost effective, and does the same job. It's the way to go IMHO.
Cheers
Pete
Peter, I agree, I have a lot of plumbing for the external swirl pot and two pumps and regulator option.

If my tank we deeper I would have gone for the in-tank option with it all in one unit. Wally68's swirl pot pump comb option looks quite neat though. I didnt have that much room to fit that one.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 07-30-2009, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Email from one of the suppliers I listed earlier re these high output in-tank pumps:

We have the Ford ute pump that drops down approx 350mm and the sedan unit drops down 225 mm.
I cant see any reason why our pump couldn’t keep up supply for the GM 6 litre engines.
We have tested these pumps on a few hot Turbo 6’s making over 330 rwkw and on blown 5.4 V8’s making around 400rwkw.