Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Engine

SAMBO,

The LS motor fitted into the engine bay with easy, we utalised the donut LS series mounts, its a bit tricky to get the bolts on the alloy mounts to line up but thats about it.

I think we needed 6 goes to get the motor and tranny in (much easier than the 3.9Litre Rover motor I put into an MGB) my fake Cobra Replica, before I saw the light and got a real replica Cobra.

I recall this car guy telling me years ago when installing a major item get ALL the stuff so you can see where you are going. Its been invaluable to me when I tinker but having a Pro like Doug is certainly the best way to go. These car guys do it for a living and can save you so much in time and money in the long run. Sometimes its not worth skimping or going cheap on things, you tend to lose out in the end.

Someone must have put P/S into a Harrison before....

There is a billet LS series entire front pulley system I saw recently, from Texas Speed Shop i think, it was about US$2500.00, exy but looked special.

Good Luck,

STIFFY
Old 07-22-2009, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default A/c

Rebel1,

Yes I have Air Con fitted...... Its a must for rego in Vic.....

But driving the car on a 20 deg day and dropping 3kg's per Kilometre is not much fun..... Just like being in Qld for summer.... no fun at all.

STIFFY
Old 07-22-2009, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffy View Post
Sometimes its not worth skimping or going cheap on things, you tend to lose out in the end.
The p/steer issue has nothing to do with skimping - they're only a few hundred bucks. We had the car at Kenmer for 6 months and half a dozen club members offered their advice over that time - and would you believe nobody thought about the power steering pump.

In any event it's easily fixed - I've spoken to Marty and he'll either move the engine slightly over to the drivers side on its mounts or machine up another bracket. I only need 5mm or so.

Can anyone explain how the alternator doesn't line up with the balancer when it's all L98/VE gear? We'll need to make up some spacers.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

hey sambo did u know that if u buy an ls3 the crank pulley does not line up with the power steering and alternator pulley if u use ls1 power steering and alternator

waterpump and i think crank pulleys on an ls3 does not stick out as far when compared to an ls1

so maybe u have a ve ls3 alternator
its the only thing i can think might be wrong
just a thought

ive bought new ls2 alternators pretty cheap for customers and never had this problem

www.sideshowsperformancewiring.com.au
Old 07-22-2009, 10:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Could be possible sideshow. The VE they were wrecking had only done 11,000km. I'll search around on the LS1 forum when I get a chance. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

how urgent do u need info
i have to send an ls3 down to melb next week so might be able to do some measurements
or just get osmeone on here to measure the brackets to front of alternator
off their ls1 alt and compare to yr one

as ls1 and ls2 and l98 should all be similar

ls3 is diff i think

www.sideshowsperformancewiring.com.au

Last edited by sideshow; 07-22-2009 at 11:17 PM..
Old 07-22-2009, 11:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Power steering

SAMBO,

Quote:
The p/steer issue has nothing to do with skimping - they're only a few hundred bucks. We had the car at Kenmer for 6 months and half a dozen club members offered their advice over that time - and would you believe nobody thought about the power steering pump.
Thats the advantage of being a paid up member of any club, they offer assistance in their field and give their advice. Did you advise them you were fitting P/S?

Thats most likely because most Cobra's are not fitted with P/S, I think its more common now, even though the Chev's are so light you can get more camber and caster without effecting the driveability. Everyone that has fitted P/S to their cars have been very impressed.

We had the issue with the A/C compressor ( rare for cobra's ) so this was an issue with my install. But as we had all the acc's we could fix the problem when it appeared. Its not about skimping, its just having what you need to do the job properely the first time. The cars take long enough to finish when money is not a problem, good things take time and you dont want to go back to things you have already done.

STIFF
Old 07-22-2009, 11:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not that urgent mate, but thanks. I'm curious more than anything. Also I haven't checked whether the power steering bracket is in line with the alternator. If it is, then it sounds like we have the LS3 items matching off the same VE engine but different to my L98 crate - which in theory could be late model VZ, when they dropped the L76.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default L76/98

SAMBO,

They did change the engines a fair bit during that run, this could be the problem.

STIFFY
Old 07-22-2009, 11:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I hear ya Stiffy.

You should see Slowy's setup - accessories swapped left-right / top-bottom, custom this and that, still a work in progress. I'm sure there's a Ford joke there somewhere...
Old 07-23-2009, 02:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Sambo,

I have Power Steering on my LS1 dont know if any photo's or measurements from mine will help being an LS1.

Let me know if you need any.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 07-23-2009, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sambo,

I'm fitting an LS3 into a Harrison. There was a fair bit of stuffing around getting the right PS mount. It's all sorted now. Your welcome to come around and check out the alternator and PS pump alignment. I'm in the Eastern suburbs.

Peter
Old 07-23-2009, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Peter, did you use factory parts or modify/fabricate them? If it's hard to describe, I might take you up on that offer, thanks. I'm in Oakleigh.

Gregg, appreciate the offer mate but I'll check out Peter's LS3 first - cheers.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

Hey Sambo, was looking in the June edition of JUST PARTS mag, and you could well find the answer you want on page 144 Ad for the Engine centre @ Narre Warren. They are showing 3 different setups, so its got to be worth a look
Rog
Old 07-24-2009, 02:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Looks to me like the VE motor runs the same crank pulley as the Corvette. They have different belt offsets to the Camaro/Commodore pulley.

As for the PS pump. you could run a smaller diameter pulley in conjunction with an under drive crank pulley and that would solve your clearance problems.

Cheers

Old 07-24-2009, 03:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sambo,

The setup is standard LS3 - all factory bits. I've sent you a PM.

Peter
Old 07-24-2009, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Mike. Would a smaller pulley on the PS pump risk damaging the pump by increasing the rotation speed?

Peter, got your PM. I'm actually heading over your way at about 1pm for a BBQ. Will give you a buzz before I leave. Might need to check out your modified shifter as well - that conversion looks the business!

Paul
Old 07-24-2009, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

If you use a 25% under drive crank pulley then I don't think it would be a problem. Work out how small the pulley needs to be to clear then do your calculations and work out the new ratio.

Cheers

Old 07-24-2009, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How's this... went to the local Holden dealer to check out the different harmonic balancers. Turns out that since the LS3 is only available on HSV models, they won't talk to me unless I'm a HSV owner and can provide chassis/VIN details. That's HSV, not Holden - who admitted they have been told off in the past for providing HSV part numbers to customers.

Mike, I think I'll just source a Corvette balancer and modify the PS bracket or get a new one made up. That solves both the PS clearance and belt alignment problems at once.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Found some excellent pictures of the Corvette vs GTO (VZ?) crank balancers. Scroll about half to 2/3 of the way down for comparisons. I have the long nose water pump which is a relief. The "Y-body" balancer looks like the one that matches my PS/alternator pulleys.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...vette-ls2.html

Some other P/S pulley options here:

http://www.howeperformance.com/accessories-pulleys.htm

Last edited by sambo; 07-27-2009 at 08:39 PM..