Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     
Default LS engine accessory problems

Hit a couple of snags tonight when fitting the VE p/steering and alternator to my L98 and hoping some Harrison owners have solved these problems.

- Power steering pulley fouls on the chassis rail that runs down diagonally from the top of the footbox to the suspension upright.

- Alternator goes in fine but the pulley (nose) is out of line with the harmonic balancer. It's about half way between the 4 grooves for the aircon belt and the 6 grooves for the serpentine belt, which is the belt it should line up with.

Has anyone had to deal with these issues? Are different brackets available from Holden?

Balancer hitting rail:

Misaligned balancer, idler and alternator (from left to right):

Sambo
Old 07-22-2009, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

Well Sambo, had you gone to the trouble and fitted a proper FORD engine in the thing like its supposed to have, you wouldn't have had the problem !!! LOL

sorry.....couldn't help meself.........that's what happens when you cross over to the dark side !
Rog
Old 07-22-2009, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes Rog and I've given my fair share of sh1t to the boat anchor owners so I'll cop it on the chin!
Old 07-22-2009, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Seems Rog beat me to that too.

All would be fixed with the fitment of a first on race day engine!!

And how's that larger but colder shed of yours going Paul? Quicker than Marty's I suspect.

Steve
Old 07-22-2009, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Slowy, I'm hoping this thread provides some answers but what are the chances of a Harrison owner with an LS engine AND p/steering? So I'm dealing with blo0dy luddites instead!

Shed is warmer than Marty's due to roller door being down and heater on. Bar fridge is never out of reach and I can choose radio stations but there's nothing like an experienced builder within koo-ee and of course the usual drop-ins are replaced by my mates who have even LESS idea than I do - laughs all round! Having said that I've found a Harrison owner nearby and another one is dropping in Saturday to check out the diff conversion. More excuses to open beer cans...
Old 07-22-2009, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #73 with an L76 6 litre CHEV, T56, 6SPEED,R32 Rear end.
Not Ranked     
Default power steering

Paul,

I did not have that trouble with the power steering unit... I decided not to fit power steering and sold my unit to Uncle Les

Mick
Old 07-22-2009, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Why do you need power steering if that motor is so light?

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Merv, power steering is a bit of a luxury in a cobra I must admit but it takes a lot of the kickback out of the steering rack. There were other reasons given to me at the time I was deciding but I can't remember them now.

Either way the alternator is definitely required!

Did anyone have to change the balancer over? I've seen some kits in the US where this is a requirement.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Paul

If I remember rightly my first test motor fit saw the engine with all the goodies attached and the PS pump was one issue too I think.

I was never going to run PS but was interested to see what room I had. The Au's run large ali brackets on both sides to attach all the sundry bits to. I cut down the drivers side one at the bottom to clear the rack and dispensed with the passenger one altogether.

Now look at it, Marty's attached alt to other side and a new fitting for the tensioner. That's how it goes.

Best of luck with the tweaking.

Steve
Old 07-22-2009, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Schipps and Slowy. Yes I think a custom bracket is in order. Alternator still has me confused. Can anyone chime in with a photo from above to show the alignment on their L76 / L98 / LS2?
Old 07-22-2009, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Blah Blah Ford owners!
At least we can access the computers for our engine without mortgaging our homes.
And yes they are lighter, Oh and yes they make more power per dollar and yes Corrol Shelby did want a Chev in his cobra before he had to settle for second best.