Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Cashburn, care to back up your claims with FACTS, or are you just expressing an OPINION, going with your gutt?

How about that apology now, on the broken ring gear thread you said didn't exist?

Want to see the thread about the $4,000 upgrade option? Is there a substantial difference between a 3.46 and 3.50 gear ratio? Excuses, excuses, your full of them Cashburn.
I apologize to the forum for feeding your need for post after post of drivel. I have countered everything you have claimed with a fact. A broken aftermarket component in a racing use?

There is a substantial difference between the claim that most BDRs are equipped with 3.5 - 3.9 rear ratios when the FACT is that they come with 3.15 to 3.46. Then a broad brush paints the picture of a Cobra industry standard of a given final drive ratio and ignores the FACT that 3.15 is relatively common. Here's another FACT for you since we have completed over 125 of these cars, the T5 is not the most common transmission in these cars (Backrafts) it happens to be the TKO-600 and that is offered in 2 flavors, so again you cannot make broad stroke claims about final drive ratios.

Apology again to the forum for dragging this on.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jerry, the issue has consistently been about 0-60 mph in under 4 seconds or under, not 0-60ft, a more important number I'll grant you. The thing is, to GET to 60 mph under 4 seconds, your going to have to launch hard. A sub "2" 60 ft time I would guess.

Cashburn, you have not proved anything. You have offered no facts to back up your claims. You have merely stated your BIASED opinion of these various issues and offered excuse after excuse for the various BMW rear suspension component failures. Or, denied such failures even existed at all, until I post a PICTURE proving it. Followed of course by excuses... pathetic. I'm still waiting for your apology for calling me a liar.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Cashburn, you have not proved anything. You have offered no facts to back up your claims. You have merely stated your BIASED opinion of these various issues and offered excuse after excuse for the various BMW rear suspension component failures. Or, denied such failures even existed at all, until I post a PICTURE proving it. Followed of course by excuses... pathetic. I'm still waiting for your apology for calling me a liar.
Have I stated you are a liar?
Old 02-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Post #51, your denial that a BDR with a broken ring gear ever happened. Inferring that I was lieing about the thread/post of that event, simply because YOU couldn't find it with a search.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Post #51, your denial that a BDR with a broken ring gear ever happened. Inferring that I was lieing about the thread/post of that event, simply because YOU couldn't find it with a search.
See, there you go inferring things again ... Since we are so focused on this broken ring gear can you tell me the circumstance surrounding it? Perhaps what the car actually was that experienced it and what parts failed under what conditions?

Just the facts ok?
Old 02-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Since you don't know, let me share. And it's all in the thread you got the photo from:

http://clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58655

Quote:
Well, for those interested. .....here's my (old) BMW rear end. 391 ration with 25% LSD.

Broke it after driving 1500km to the Australian Cobra Nats. Turned 8 laps before crunck! Turned a tooth. Make sure when you do your diffs that you DON'T re-use torque bolts and make sure you set the diff lap low on the teeth.
spookypt bought one of Reg Dodd's old race cars. It had been run all over in the USA and configured many different ways. At some point in the wear and tear the rear was reworked and the bolts were reused. There's your failure. Just the facts, has no bearing on standard road going BDR cars and certainly nothing to do with the 0-60 times here.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by D111 View Post
hey ,while you guys are giving each other the shaft, I sure would like to here the reasons why tcrist owns a cobra?

I like the looks of a Cobra. Always have and will continue to.

Have a good day and like I said earlier, hope you enjoy your Cobra.

Take care.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ah, so you can use the search function after all. It's just a passing comment, about a broken ring gear, that happens to be on a BDR. Why you choose to make a mountain out of mole hill is typical of a BDR owner/salesman response. Let it go,,, take a pill, it's already been clarified that rear end gear failures are very rare, for ALL cars.

Here's the thing.
It's not cool that ANYBODY who would DARE say something that appears to be negative about BDR WILL result in a flurry of defense, bashing of the poster and a truck of load of personal attacks. "We" should not be bullied, intimidated, threatened or abused by BDR owners or sales rep simply because we say something they don't like.

And THAT, in a nut shell, is WHY, I wouldn't own a BDR. The official BDR stance is just to militant and aggressive with their product support.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft#357, 392CI Ford Racing, 459hp, 455ft/lbs , TKO 500, 3.43 Gears, Ceramic Coated Headers, Victor Jr. 750cfm, 17in Halibrand wheels, Sterling Gray/Silver Stripes, Gray Leather, Nitto NT05
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Here's the thing.
It's not cool that ANYBODY who would DARE say something that appears to be negative about BDR WILL result in a flurry of defense, bashing of the poster and a truck of load of personal attacks. "We" should not be bullied, intimidated, threatened or abused by BDR owners or sales rep simply because we say something they don't like.
Excaliber: What a load of bunk. Nobody cares if you have a legitimate comment about a BDR, but your confrontational, over the top comments like 'sub 4's are when the BDR half shaft goes' or 'bdr has more failures than all others combined' cause you to lose credibilty. If you don't think a BDR forum is a place to clarify comments made like that and all of the sudden the BDR guys are the bullies, you have a distorted version of reality. Frankly, you are the bully, you are the guy who called names. I don't think you even believe the stuff you are saying, you clearly enjoy the confrontation.

You're getting boring.

Last edited by Jimbocobra; 02-07-2011 at 04:13 PM..
Old 02-07-2011, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This forum at it's best!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:32 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbocobra View Post
Excaliber: What a load of bunk. Nobody cares if you have a legitimate comment about a BDR, but your confrontational, over the top comments like 'sub 4's are when the BDR half shaft goes' or 'bdr has more failures than all others combined' cause you to lose credibilty. If you don't think a BDR forum is a place to clarify comments made like that and all of the sudden the BDR guys are the bullies, you have a distorted version of reality. Frankly, you are the bully, you are the guy who called names. I don't think you even believe the stuff you are saying, you clearly enjoy the confrontation.

You're getting boring.
It's always good when more people get to know and interact with Ernie.

The trouble is that he really does believe the stuff he says.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Bugger...
I've just run out of popcorn!

I personally have never considered a BDR, and never thought I would, but with the way Cashburn has handle himself in this "discussion", I now will!!!

Congratulations Cashburn for arguing with such decorum.
Personally I haven't found it overly biased, but possibly even honest.

Ex. You've made your point. I'm sorry... and I hope my apologies are enough for you, cos I'm not sure Cashburn has much to be sorry about.

Now, both of you put the egos away... and go your separate ways.

Play nice... cos I'm out of popcorn!
Old 02-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My original comment on this thread.
Quote:
If you can do 4 or under, thats when the BDR half shaft snaps.
Boy did that fire up the BDR defense. How insecure can you get!
The above statement remains 100% true.

Another fact remains, more pointed:
You will find more posts about BDR rear end component failure than for any other single manufacturer. Thats a FACT.

For those that don't believe it is possible to break an IRS half shaft on a hard drag race launch, sell the Cobra, buy a Volvo. Alternatively, buy a can of wax, because that is the sum of your knowledge about Cobras!
Old 02-07-2011, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #656 402 SR TW
Not Ranked     
Default Really?

Quote:
Ah, so you can use the search function after all. It's just a passing comment, about a broken ring gear, that happens to be on a BDR. Why you choose to make a mountain out of mole hill is typical of a BDR owner/salesman response. Let it go,,, take a pill, it's already been clarified that rear end gear failures are very rare, for ALL cars.

Here's the thing.

And THAT, in a nut shell, is WHY, I wouldn't own a BDR. The official BDR stance is just to militant and aggressive with their product support.
Exc, you are continuing another baseless lie. You are the bully. Jay just loves and is proud of his product. I love it too. That said, the only one getting personal is you. For someone with so many years of experience you have a lot to learn about profession/persuasive writing. Take a break and reflect.

Best wishes
Old 02-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Jay just loves and is proud of his product. I love it too.
Great, I'm glad you love your car. Now don't get carried away and start bashing people over it. Oop's to late, you JUST DID!

Quote:
Exc, you are continuing another baseless lie.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

FACT: there have been examples of 0-60 in 4 sec.
1 JIMBO
2 Kitcar head to head comparison

Half shafts did not break in any of these instances. Yes it's tough to lay down these times and it's harder on an IRS than it would be a straight axle. Then again, I think most people prefer the IRS on a daily driver.

"official stance militant and aggressive with product support" Really? Heard few complaints from owners on product support.

On product defense in this forum, aggressive yes, militant seems quite an exaggerated characterization. I think any aggressiveness is in direct response to mischaracterizations of the product. We keep getting a bad rap for running a BMW diff whose LSD tends to be more safe than locking. But if you ever see a BDR take off in a straight line, we definitely spin both tires. LSD option there, and pretty cheap.

FACT: Nittos get us better times, but it's obvious we can stick to the 315 17" goodyears, standard diff with a decent gear like 346, play it safe on the half shafts (with the goodyear) and still pull some killer 0-60 (sec) times.

Last edited by pjmoore2003; 02-07-2011 at 06:11 PM..
Old 02-07-2011, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

EX, are you an expert on keyless starts too? This thread has been needing attention:
http://clubcobra.com/forums/showthre...t=85361&page=3
Old 02-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

...are these BDR owners easy bait or what? Must be metro sexuals.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
...are these BDR owners easy bait or what?
They are... but it is now time to throw in the towel.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Excaliber,
By the way, thanks for the attacking private message.

Best wishes,
Phil