Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2016, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking for Cobra with 351w stroked
Not Ranked     
Default Roush 427sr-tw or 427r?

Need some advice please, looking at used BDR's. Is there a difference in the daily drivability of a Roush 427SR-TW and the 427R. I found on the net the "TW" was built to make the 427 a bit less buckin and snorting at RPM's less than 3000. True? Not true? Not relavant? Is the Roush 427r too temperminal for non-track type of driving? What say ye?

BTW, The. 427SR-TW is in a RT2, 427R is in a RT3. Any pointers will be much appreciated.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Some condensed feedback from earlier posts on this subject.

Thread Roush Engine Choice | Club Cobra | BoardReader
Old 07-17-2016, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #997, Roush 427SR+TW
Not Ranked     

I have the SR and am very happy with it. It is a beast and probably more than I need but nothing better than having an actual 427 in these if you ask me.

I saw all the negative posts in that thread. Not sure if those folks have ever owned a Roush or are just wishing they could. Mine has ~2300 miles and runs great so far. No oil burning or other issues.

Find a local Roush mechanic and ask their opinion.
mln385 likes this.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

6900 miles on my 427SR/TW prefers 1500 or more rpm with 3:46 rear so if your thinking about the R you will need at least 3:73 rear to keep the RPM's up to stay in power band.

What rear gear does each car have do you know?
Old 07-17-2016, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpatodd View Post
I have the SR and am very happy with it. It is a beast and probably more than I need but nothing better than having an actual 427 in these if you ask me.

I saw all the negative posts in that thread. Not sure if those folks have ever owned a Roush or are just wishing they could. Mine has ~2300 miles and runs great so far. No oil burning or other issues.

Find a local Roush mechanic and ask their opinion.
I'm glad your experience is a positive one.
But asking a Roush mechanic for thier opinion will no doubt come with weighted bias. It be like asking an SPF GT40 flog owner if his little yet to be completed 40 is better than a Porsche Gt3 RS.
Just sayin' seek qualified impartial opinions.

Last edited by Dimis; 07-17-2016 at 05:57 PM..
Old 07-17-2016, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

I would not own a a roush engine. Especially their FE. If they even make them anymore.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

427SR/TW is their street engine. Has a dual plane intake manifold. Torque curve is more street friendly.
427R has a single plane intake. Torque curve comes at higher revs than the SR/TW.

Either will blow your socks off.

Last edited by jhv48; 07-17-2016 at 07:07 PM..
Old 07-17-2016, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mln385 View Post
6900 miles on my 427SR/TW prefers 1500 or more rpm with 3:46 rear so if your thinking about the R you will need at least 3:73 rear to keep the RPM's up to stay in power band.

What rear gear does each car have do you know?
Not sure but thank you for the tip. I will ask.
Of the two BDR's Roush equipped cars, The car I like has the R, but I'd prefer the SR-TW motor IMHO. SR-TW is pushin 10,000 miles, the R nearing 2000 miles.

In my younger years I was running full up sprint cars. Two things of several would get my goat. Having an engine that would buck and snort at low RPM if you got stuck in traffic. The other was, coming off the corner and waiting for the torque band to coming in while the guy next to you has his nose on you into the next turn.

I guess point the being, being much slower in my older years, I want a car with great low end power and smooth getting there. Don't want herky, jerky when street driving with the wife. That is why the question on the R.
spdbrake likes this.

Last edited by Stearman; 07-17-2016 at 08:47 PM..
Old 07-18-2016, 04:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #997, Roush 427SR+TW
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
I'm glad your experience is a positive one.
But asking a Roush mechanic for thier opinion will no doubt come with weighted bias. It be like asking an SPF GT40 flog owner if his little yet to be completed 40 is better than a Porsche Gt3 RS.
Just sayin' seek qualified impartial opinions.
Or... OR.. you could ask logical questions that match the accusations made. "Have you seen these issues?" "What is the top thing you need to repair?" "What improvements have you seen over the years?"

I've yet to meet a mechanic who talked like a salesman. They usually tell it like it is. But with anything, he needs to triangulate outside the Interweb and gather enough info to base a decision.

Or... he could just read your pointless response. That would help him obviously. =P
Old 07-18-2016, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stearman View Post
Not sure but thank you for the tip. I will ask.
Of the two BDR's Roush equipped cars, The car I like has the R, but I'd prefer the SR-TW motor IMHO. SR-TW is pushin 10,000 miles, the R nearing 2000 miles.

In my younger years I was running full up sprint cars. Two things of several would get my goat. Having an engine that would buck and snort at low RPM if you got stuck in traffic. The other was, coming off the corner and waiting for the torque band to coming in while the guy next to you has his nose on you into the next turn.

I guess point the being, being much slower in my older years, I want a car with great low end power and smooth getting there. Don't want herky, jerky when street driving with the wife. That is why the question on the R.
Well you could always get the one with the R motor change the cam and the intake to be more street friendly for your needs if it is the one you like the most.
Stearman likes this.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Or... OR.. you could ask logical questions that match the accusations made. "Have you seen these issues?" "What is the top thing you need to repair?" "What improvements have you seen over the years?"

I've yet to meet a mechanic who talked like a salesman. They usually tell it like it is. But with anything, he needs to triangulate outside the Interweb and gather enough info to base a decision.

Or... he could just read your pointless response. That would help him obviously. =P
Ok how's this?

3 out 4 Roush engines (one my brothers, two were close mates, and the fourth a work colleague went poof! They chewed through more oil than Exxon Valdez spewed into the sea, had vales seat issues, ring pack issues, and a string of other items.

The one that "worked" was no better, (in fact worse) than the rebuild done by a local engine builder... And as for warranty... Or post sales support... Good luck... You're better of calling Santa Claus at the NP.

I tried to give a soft enough hint, but seems like you needed the whack between the eyes.
The only good thing about Roush is their valve covers. Now they're nice. Else... Hmmmm I'd rather pass.

Now does this post suffice your criteria of "useful"?
Sheeeesh... You try to help a guy...

Last edited by Dimis; 07-18-2016 at 05:06 AM..
Old 07-18-2016, 12:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Over the years, Roush engines have been discussed at length here. And overwhelmingly, the response has been negative.

Has Roush ever built a good engine over those years? Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I've yet to meet a mechanic who talked like a salesman.
You've never met a mechanic/service writer that hasn't tried to sell you a part or service, or an additional/better part or service, that you may or may not have needed? Really? I find that hard to believe, if you've had your cars serviced/repaired/rebuilt by someone other than yourself over the years.

Asking a mechanic, that relies on Roush for any sort of income stream, is ripe for a biased opinion. I'd rather hear the opinions of owners, like yourself, who have had either a positive or negative experience with Roush engines. A Roush mechanic wants to see more Roush engines sold, because they'll likely increase the mechanic's income stream over the years.

Last edited by RodKnock; 07-18-2016 at 12:34 PM..
Old 07-18-2016, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Over the years, Roush engines have been discussed at length here. And overwhelmingly, the response has been negative.

Has Roush ever built a good engine over those years? Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
Hmm, opening another cans of worms, but here it t goes... Does a Roush fitted BDR (or other Cobra) drive down a the resale price? I'm a firm believer the value of the item is only as good as current market price, and nothing more. Either there are more emotional buyers keeping the price up or is the Roush name hold a constant resale value???

Just thinking out like loud and open to thoughtful feedback. Subject parameters might be too broad for a solid answer. Thanks for the info👍
Old 07-18-2016, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hmm, opening another cans of worms, but here it t goes... Does a Roush fitted BDR (or other Cobra) drive down a the resale price? I'm a firm believer the value of the item is only as good as current market price, and nothing more. Either there are more emotional buyers keeping the price up or is the Roush name hold a constant resale value???

Just thinking out like loud and open to thoughtful feedback. Subject parameters might be too broad for a solid answer. Thanks for the info👍
I would not own a roush motor. Especially their FE. I don't think they make them any more due to all the problems.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:06 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

From my standpoint, it appears that Roush is building these engines on a semi "mass production" format with bulk purchased parts and an assembly line manner. Not like they are being built by a single engine builder with the care and cautions required for "your" engine. They are not like a GM or Ford plant with all the QA, tolerances and whatnot worked out.
Just my 2c.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Resale is valid question. Does a Roush engine drive down the resale price? To me, and others here, probably, yes, I'd have less faith in a Roush engine and thus might look elsewhere. But if you can independently evaluate the engine, make sure it's not leaking, leakdown and compression tests are very good and there are no problems, and you like everything else about the BDR, then buy it. You may have found one of their good engines.

I agree with Fordracing65, I would have even less faith in their FE lineup than the 427W lineup of engines.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

These threads of Roush woes are the easy ones to find:

Dissapointing year end with my Roush 427R

Roush Engine Warranty Exclusions.

Roush wants my Alum. FE 511 motor

Roush is replacing my motor

Roush 511 problems

Roush Crate Engine
Old 07-18-2016, 02:25 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Yup. I would much rather have one personal engine builder that I could count on and call if I had a problem and not deal with a morass of corporate BS, only to end up in a time-sucking hole and stuck with a lot of costs that are "exluded".
Stearman likes this.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     
Default 427sr/tw

Another perspective; my SPF was built in 2010 and has logged just over 26000 miles. I have experienced no mechanical problems and the engine (427sr/tw) does not burn or leak oil. Needless to say I am very pleased with the power plant. However, should I ever replace it I will probably go with a Blykins engine. He is very available to discuss issues and make suggestions, and from what I have seen makes a damn fine engine at a reasonable price.
Bernica and Stearman like this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: