Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2020, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danr55 View Post
Kind like putting an elevator in an outhouse.
I will use this later. Also, I agree. Completely not needed on a 2500 pound car.

John
Old 07-12-2020, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

Suite yourself. I will too.

The car was excessively hard to turn with the manual steer and I want to drive it on the road and autocross, both activities need responsive steering.

It seems a lot of folks here automatically dismiss power steering as for wimps or people wishing to desecrate the sacred original cobras. Well, I would probably not put it on a real one but that is completely academic since I will never own one of those (I think).
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

When the front end starts sticking and adhering to the pavement......you will need power steering .....there are many factors involved with your steering....rack ratio, geometry of suspension, size of steering wheel......are just a few....also size of tires....

Depending on the motor you have.....the brackets may need to be manufactured....but is worth all of the effort.

Also put a cooler on the pump.
Tom Wells and Jerry Clayton like this.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 1048
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
I just ran across this from Flaming River. I really like the idea of adjustability, especially making it speed sensitive. While there's not much room to install it, it does look like it would fit in many Cobras.

Flaming River is now offering Microsteer universal Electric Power Assisted Steering system. It can be easily fitted to virtually any vehicle, without the need to change steering rack or fit a hydraulic system where manual steering currently exists.

The unique Microsteer Tuning Box allows you to adjust the amount of assistance by using a rotary potentiometer or, if you prefer, you can make the system speed sensitive by connecting a wheel speed signal to the Tuning Box. A mode selection switch on the box allows you to choose your preferred method, manual or wheel speed.

https://www.flamingriver.com/index.p...osteer/FR40200
Has anyone installed the flamingriver power steering unit?
Old 12-01-2020, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #178 United Speed World Special
Not Ranked     

Look to me like something else in the way and another thing that can go wrong.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have a basic Ford rack with a chevy pump to match my engine. The flaming river manual steer I took off is based on the ford apparently as it bolted on. The pump did too and the only trick was getting the hoses the right length.

The flaming river looks very sanitary. I imagine cost wise it is a wash. The electric steer will need the steering shaft cut and two u joints added it seems. The feel on my unit is fine as any power steering I have had and I have had some good ones.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk3, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

They make this for the superformance- maybe it could be adapted? Looks like an easy install:
https://epasperformance.com/products...formance-cobra

After running mine on a kart track, I find my physical limit is about 5-10 minutes (or 6-10 laps). The manual rack is just fine on the street or canyons, but on a tight track or autocross, you fight with it.

The leather wheel tore up my right hand pretty good too, next time I'll wear gloves.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am interested in the thoughts of those thinking of electric power steering.
Unlike hydraulic power steering, where some sort of warning happens when a parts failure occurs, electric steering gives no warning.

Ever wonder why we still have hydraulic brakes?

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 12-02-2020, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had it on my autocross only lotus 7. It worked but no feel. It took some room, more than the system presented above. It also was adjustable on assist.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk3, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

Gaz- if the electric assist fails, you still have manual steering. In fact, you could probably rig up a switch to disable it at will.
joyridin' likes this.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by saki302 View Post
Gaz- if the electric assist fails, you still have manual steering. In fact, you could probably rig up a switch to disable it at will.
I would interested in the effort needed when electrical failure happens.
That electric motor would have a fair reduction gearset, and/or wormdrive like a wiper motor.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 12-04-2020, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
That electric motor would have a fair reduction gearset, and/or wormdrive like a wiper motor.

I was reading through their literature about the install and set up, Gary. If you use their wheel speed sensitive setup, when you are initially driving the car you progressively reduce the electric assist (to close to none?) until you feel the weight of the steering is comfortable at that speed. If the speed is too low then you increase vehicle speed until that sweet spot appears. At that point there is a mode switch on one of their modules that you need to trigger. This will set their calibration speed.

Whenever you are above the calibration speed, the electric assistance is minimal. When you are below the calibration speed, assistance will gradually increase from minimum at the calibration speed to maximum when the vehicle is stationary. All well and good. In fairness it sounds pretty nice.

I have electric p/s on my daily driver and I asked the same question, about steering effort when the assist fails, prior to buying the car. I never got a good answer to the question — which leads me to believe the answer is something the typical buyer would find objectionable. I didn't have a choice, if you wanted the car you got the steering.

I suspect as you already suggested that the system adds a noticeable amount of effort to the steering proposition after it fails. The question obviously is, how much? In the US I would think the regulatory authorities would have had some input to the, how much, question but so far I have not been able to find an answer.

My guess is the car is drivable, but unpleasant, for a man with average or better upper body strength. As suspect as it sounds, I would not be surprised to find it very difficult if not impossible for most women to drive.

For most of us, while having lost the, 'can I try driving it' battle with our wives a while back, we blessedly found after one or two outings with them at the wheel, their interest in piloting our missiles quickly faded. That, however, still leaves the drivability / steering effort question when in failed mode on the table for us ...

I suspect that it is more than insignificant for all the reasons you have already suggested — but I still like the size and apparent ease of installation / implementation, especially the speed sensitive assist force feature.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 12-04-2020 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 12-04-2020, 09:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

I forgot about Ken's writeup until now. My senior moments are evidently lengthening...

Look here: http://www.firstcoastcobraclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96

I don't recall whether there's a switch to turn off the assist, or if the pot that controls the amount of assist goes all the way to zero, but I suspect it gets pretty close.

It's been in there for a good number of sessions on the track at Daytona as well as a bunch of cruises on the street and seems to be doing the job just fine!

Tom
Old 12-04-2020, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
I had one on my car. It was slightly harder than without the unit, and I mean SLIGHTLY. If you drop the boost level to zero, it was about identical to the manual steering.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
I had one on my car. It was slightly harder than without the unit, and I mean SLIGHTLY. If you drop the boost level to zero, it was about identical to the manual steering.
That is good to know. With that sort of knowledge I would expect to see something similar on the Flaming River unit. Perhaps an industry embraced failsafe.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

On my Lotus the steering was one turn lock to lock. I never drove it without the assist but the PO Cashmore told me it was pretty undrivable without it. It had a live rear axle and 55% of the weight in back and developed some serious oversteer in its normal cornering behavior while the driver sat with his backside 3" from the rear axle so at speed it was pretty engaging to drive.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

My car came with electrical steering that was installed by the previous owner. There is very little room for the unit under the dash and he did a lot of cutting to shoe horn it in there. He did a good job but it gave the car a very un-natural feel. I removed it all, upgraded the steering and brought it back to manual. Much better. Feels like a Cobra not a Lincoln.

Fred