Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2020, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Personally, based on your questions, I don't think a Cobra is for you. The first hint was "I'm not a mechanic". Cobras are a tinkerer's dream. There's always something loose that needs to be adjusted or replaced. Get a new GT500 Mustang.
I think Tony nailed it!

You will be better off buying a Corvette or some other Motown sporty car. The demands that one of these cars place on you as an owner / driver are an order of magnitude more than your worst dream come true ...

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJ View Post
...My head says coyote but my heart still says a 351/427 with EFI....
So MJJ, your head says Coyote but your heart says "351/427". You're obviously aware that the Coyotes were not fitted to the original series of (427) Cobras, but neither were the "351/427" engines. These are from the Windsor family of small block Ford engines. I do understand the reason for your indecision though. Both are good engines; if your absolute priority isn't period correctness (ie an FE), then the Coyote might be your better choice, solely because it is a factory built engine of quite recent design, and as such will be powerful, economical to run and service, and will probably never require a strip down in its first owner's use. That's my opinion only, and with Cobras, emotion very often comes into the equation....so maybe forget the reasoning, and ask yourself "which one do I really want?" Go with that.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 06-08-2020, 10:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 Side Oiler
Not Ranked     

I think you should get a nice used Cobra with a 427 FE and 4 speed and if it should need some occasional work take it to your local shop. I’ve had a lot of cars and motorcycles and still do, but my Unique 427 side oiler with a top loader is hands down the best sounding car I have or have had. Everyone has an opinion as do I but the sound of a real 427 is music to your ears and trust me you will never regret your purchase.
Good luck to you
xb-60 likes this.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

imo, I don't think that you should be dissuaded from owning a Cobra for lack of wrenching skills. You've obviously owned a stable of cars in the past so you know what you are getting into. I've owned my Cobra for 11 years and since it's not driven much more than 1,000-2000 miles per year, mechanically, it hasn't been that demanding. If you have a good shop that you trust and you have the money to pay out, you will be fine.
To address a question you had in your OP, I've never had anything close to an overheating issue - most Cobras have huge radiators and electric fans - they just don't overheat like cars from the 60s and 70s.

Generally speaking, I think buying a used Cobra is a good idea but one with a 5-6 speed and with EFI seems like what you would want. I'm a big fan of the 351 in these Cobras as a solid middle ground between small and big block. I've seen used Cobras with Coyotes and EFI is getting more popular. Prices are coming down it seems; they market is coming to you. Keep going!
Old 06-09-2020, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

also, with respect to tuning the EFI, I know that some people have had a hard time getting it set up but there was no problem with mine...I had mine installed by my local shop that, prior to my decision to go ahead, said that they had recently installed the Holley Sniper EFI with excellent results. That was enough for me; the install went off without a hitch.

The one problem with my EFI has been when my gas tank gets less than say 15% full, fuel delivery becomes inconsistent so I need to fill up.

If you buy a used one though, I would find one with EFI already installed.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Cashburn has installed a lot of modular and I expect Coyote too. You should talk to him. Maybe he has one you can see.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

If you are a hi-tech kind of guy. Get the coyote.

If you are low tech, like myself, get a stroked 351 windsor, carbureted, distributor, etc. I like simplicity.
IMLost and Mattsvtcobra like this.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 06-11-2020, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 351w
Not Ranked     

Or just buy this:

https://www.cobracountry.com/cars-fo...o3303-premier/
Old 06-11-2020, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
Those seats and center hurt my eyes.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kenmer with Ford Quad Cam Boss 260
Not Ranked     

Probably wouldn't look too bad if it was only the seats and door cards but, with the tranny tunnel as well it seems a bit over the top. I do like the Coyote though.
Doug
Old 06-11-2020, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     

For me it is way over the top, but hey... to each his own! Go for what you like!

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 06-13-2020, 05:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
I think Tony nailed it!

You will be better off buying a Corvette or some other Motown sporty car. The demands that one of these cars place on you as an owner / driver are an order of magnitude more than your worst dream come true ...

Ed
Well, I think the dependability is also dependent on who built the cobra. Short cuts and incompetence always leads to major issues, which are either expensive if you fix yourself, or very expensive to pay someone else.

If you want a modern cobra, although there are many cars that are similar in character to a cobra, imho, there’s one that stands above all others , the Dodge Viper.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 06-13-2020, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Well, I think the dependability is also dependent on who built the cobra. Short cuts and incompetence always leads to major issues, which are either expensive if you fix yourself, or very expensive to pay someone else.

If you want a modern cobra, although there are many cars that are similar in character to a cobra, imho, there’s one that stands above all others , the Dodge Viper.
"If you want to just gas and go, and never have to worry about replacing an alternator, or snugging down a header bolt, or getting a wet leg driving in a rainstorm, or learning how to set your carb float level, or driving in traffic on a warm winter day with "winter gas" in the tank — get a Corvette.

With a Cobra Replica, you need to remember that you are driving a hand made racecar – on the street! There is no compromise for anything other than pure performance. These cars are brutal and unforgiving. They have all the refinement of a medieval battleax and like being in a relationship with an exotic dancer, you can never take anything for granted. These cars don't have millions of miles of refinement testing before you get yours. For any trip longer than an hour, you’ll need earplugs, goggles, Advil and eye drops. You will also need to learn how to "read" the clouds for rain in your path ahead, and have experience in unwrapping your frozen fingers from the MotoLita. You will experience lady passengers ‘wetting’ the passenger seat when you merge into traffic from an on ramp, and then nearly burn their calf getting out of the car.
" — Unknown Author (but likely Hal Copple)

Sort of says it all ...

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
Reading the ad, the owner seems to be confused as to what brand of replica he's selling! Either that or he's being intentionally misleading.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 06-13-2020, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 351w
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Reading the ad, the owner seems to be confused as to what brand of replica he's selling! Either that or he's being intentionally misleading.
I agree. When I first saw it, it said BD all over it and I still think it is. I’m no expert but that is what it appears to to me.

And yes the upholstery is over the top for me but that engine, that has me wanting a Coyote, not the ugly alien head thingy on the gen 3. Besides, pushrod all the way for me in these replicas.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Going by the body and other cues, it is a Superformance - Backdrafts have a very distinctive body shape - but he refers to it as a Backdraft in one part of the ad itself.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 06-13-2020, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I started this thread hoping to get feedback more than validation. I have received both. Much of it has been helpful, some of it entertaining. Based on the feedback and additional research I am leaning towards a push rod motor with EFI. It is true that I prefer to drive my cars over wrenching on them. I am confident I Will work with a builder to come up with a fairly reliable solution. If it isn’t I will address it.

I still need to figure out details re: insurance and registration.

Good news if this doesn’t go the way I expect, I know I can make a couple guys day with a “I told you so” thread.

MJJ
IMLost likes this.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 1048
Not Ranked     

Good choice, that’s exactly what I have a EFI Rousch 427.
The only down side is it’s not happy under 1800 RPM. This makes traffic
Driving a pain.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT4 - #2145
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by genolan View Post
Good choice, that’s exactly what I have a EFI Rousch 427.
The only down side is it’s not happy under 1800 RPM. This makes traffic
Driving a pain.
What Roush 427 do you have? 427R? the reason I ask is I'm having mine built right now but I haven't decided on engine choice
Old 06-14-2020, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Do you want to drive it, or show it? If you want to drive it, get the Coyote. If you want to pull in a parking lot and show it, get the 427.

That is why you see so many resto-mods these days going for big bucks with stock LS3's and various other new engines. You hop in, start it, and drive away. No muss no fuss.

My buddy has a 1992 Mustang. Water pump went out. The local Autozone had to order for him. It took 2 days. Not a huge deal, but he missed a whole weekend of driving. Old engines (old designs might be a better term) are harder to find parts for.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: