Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2020, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird123 View Post
What Roush 427 do you have? 427R? the reason I ask is I'm having mine built right now but I haven't decided on engine choice
The fuel injected version is 427IR. I had an early one in my Cobra. In the beginning they used Accel DFI controller, but with the problems I had and others eventually they changed. But universally, it doesn't like to idle at a low speed. The physics of the air flow through the throttle bodies and trumpets does not lend itself to low speed. You have to compromise the timing of the injector fire to the air flow and with the TB's almost closed, you get a very rich condition. This is because proper dispersal of the fuel into the cylinder depends on vertical flow with the blades open. The solution is to raise idle speed and open the TB blades a little bit.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJ View Post
...Based on the feedback and additional research I am leaning towards a push rod motor with EFI. It is true that I prefer to drive my cars over wrenching on them. I am confident I Will work with a builder to come up with a fairly reliable solution.....
I'm sure that choice is well considered. Good luck with your car.
If I could comment further....Cobras typically weigh not much over a ton, so virtually any half-decent engine will give it more than enough performance to frighten you.
If you don't go way overboard pursuing massive power, you will gain on driveability and reliability (and enjoyment) from your 427W

Keep us posted!

Cheers,
Glen
Old 06-15-2020, 03:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kenmer with Ford Quad Cam Boss 260
Not Ranked     

I love my efi modular motor. but if I was to build another Cobra it would have the Coyote.

Doug
Old 06-15-2020, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 1048
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird123 View Post
What Roush 427 do you have? 427R? the reason I ask is I'm having mine built right now but I haven't decided on engine choice
It’s a 427 SR
Old 06-15-2020, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, '65 427/MKIII with Roush V8 - 351W w/770cfm 4BBL Holley, 514hp
Not Ranked     

Thunderbird123 ... I second that going with a Roush 427SR ... Mine has one with plenty of power (500+HP) and yet it idles real well... I have over 21k miles on it ..and love it.

Mark

Superformance: SPO2454 , Titanium w/Black Stripes
Engine: Roush 427SR w/770cfm 4-Barrel Holley
Transmission: Tremec TKO-600
Old 06-15-2020, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Do your research on Roush. They are more like a mass produced product and don't have the greatest customer service.

I would go with Blykins or Kraft Racing. You will get much more personal service, and bang for your buck with these guys. They will build you a better engine toward what you want, for less than Roush. In my opinion, of course.
BigGuy, xb-60, Ozzie Goat and 2 others like this.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #178 United Speed World Special
Not Ranked     

To each his own. Everyone has an opinion and I agree with all of the above. It's going to be your car. You know your abilities, and you know what you plan to do with it. I started with the 1000 mile mindset and now drive it all over the country. Your choice, your fun.
Drive it!
Old 06-16-2020, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
Do your research on Roush. They are more like a mass produced product and don't have the greatest customer service.

I would go with Blykins or Kraft Racing. You will get much more personal service, and bang for your buck with these guys. They will build you a better engine toward what you want, for less than Roush. In my opinion, of course.
From my experience: If you go for the big cam, spend money and get EFI up front.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Compliments to the Arizona guys. They have good feedback and logical suggestions. One of these days i hope to get out there and hopefully meet some of them.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

I like both engines. I think you have to step back and really ask yourself what you are going to use the car for. If you drive all the time, run errands, and enjoy gas mileage then a coyote would be a great engine.

It also depends on how much of a gear head you are. Almost 100% of the time I fire my car up it is because I’m going for a pure drive. I LOVE the way it sounds, the carb and the raw power of the 427w. You can absolutely have a reliable street friendly EFI 550hp windsor setup that is turn key go and would run for many many miles. My only advice is get way more power than you think you will want. These cars lose tons of power in their drivetrain and don’t have the most efficient exhaust layout. 500hp in one of these isn’t as fast as some make it out to be. I’ve got a 550-575hp 427w with 4.30 gears and drag radials and it will barely pull a stock c7 z06 from a 40mph roll. It’s not slow by any means but it’s not as frightening as some make them out to be. Remember they have gas pedals so you don’t have to use all the power all the time.

I have nothing against a coyote setup. I think about a potential whipple coyote as a second cobra for the future. If I could only have one cobra it would be a pushrod setup. I can almost guarantee you will sometimes get tired of the thumpy cam just like you grow tired of the toned down drone of a coyote. As I mentioned earlier carefully consider much time you going to spend in the car. It’s also not a bad idea to buy a used car to see how much you really enjoy ownership before you haul off and build one. There are many car people that get a cobra and have no clue what they are getting into....hence all the low mileage cars. One thing is for sure and that is that no matter what you go with you will enjoy it!
IMLost likes this.

Last edited by Ace23; 06-16-2020 at 09:23 PM..
Old 06-17-2020, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #656 402 SR TW
Not Ranked     

Just buy it blacked out from Jay so you don’t have to polish anything.
SGwick likes this.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:08 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

@IMLost, careful what you wish for Myself and 2 other PNW members went down to Phx.. last Dec. to crash the Az boys Christmas party (No one knew we were coming ), all great guys, but you know there's always one in every group, and that one would be Ol'Karlos (Karl Bebout) In all seriousness , those guys are nothing but fun to hang with. In fact we left one of our member's Cobra down there, so we could hang out this spring with them, but the virus thing came, and kept us from doing so. At least Tim's car, had a nice vacation Cheers TommyRot
Old 06-18-2020, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My plans were to be up you guys way also also. I want to do the PCH from Frisco to Seattle then up north to 20 ( i think that's it) over to Idaho. this BS has really screwed up many plans trying to hit the moving target.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:30 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Your always welcome here in the Northwet Believe it or not, we have a pretty active group what with our weather (Sometimes we get rain ) Lets us know when you are coming, and we'll set up a drive around our area. Karl came up last year, and went to a show with us. Any member passing though is welcome to look us up, we always have a place to lay your head, and a garage for your Cobra here in the PNW . Cheers TommyRot.
IMLost likes this.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427" 351W
Not Ranked     

I had a 496" aluminum SO with TWM EFI. The engine was done by Keith Craft and was very dependable, but at 717hp it needed a lot more attention than a Coyote. There are quite a few alterations needed to shoehorn a Coyote into a Cobra, but it has been done. I really like the variable cam timing and constant HP from 1800 rpm on. I imagine there are chips out there to make it really nasty. You can drop $35k into a 427 in a heart beat. I'd do a Coyote.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorconstr View Post
I had a 496" aluminum SO with TWM EFI. The engine was done by Keith Craft and was very dependable, but at 717hp it needed a lot more attention than a Coyote. There are quite a few alterations needed to shoehorn a Coyote into a Cobra, but it has been done. I really like the variable cam timing and constant HP from 1800 rpm on. I imagine there are chips out there to make it really nasty. You can drop $35k into a 427 in a heart beat. I'd do a Coyote.
I intend no insult, here. I miss speak all the time myself.

I'm sure a brain fart, but to prevent misleading a newbe, I will correct. Constant Torque, not Hp.

Also, this was meant as a relative term not a precise exact constant torque, if anyone questions this.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427" 351W
Not Ranked     

You are correct, I was at work rushing a response. Thanks, Al

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: