Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, Donovan aluminum BB
Not Ranked     
Default my first disgusted spectator

Well I was at a local car cruise and had my first person come to my car, say it was awesome but then got disgusted after he asked what engine was in it and I told him it had a BBC in it. It was amazing to me the arrogance of this guy. He literally looked me in the face and angrily said "you ruined it " and grabbed his kid by the arm and stormed off. The people around me were also stunned at his boldness. As for me it doesn't bother me, that just shows the level of intelligence soome one has. If he can't appreciate the engineering in the car than he is missing out.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Neutral     

I swear I was nowhere near PA today.

Shhhh, don't let Patrick find out. He'll go on and on about the blasphemy of it all.

Last edited by RodKnock; 05-21-2010 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: Patrick added a missing word to make sense of it.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Shhhh, don't let Patrick find out. He'll go on and on about [the] blasphemy of it all.
No he won't. The guy was clearly out of line.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Look at the incident as though it was the story of the armless man who stood in front of the Mona Lisa and cried with emotion. He recognised the art, and knew he could never duplicate it.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

I'm sure his social grace has taken him far in life.

The real tragedy here is that that poor little kid has that a$$hole as an example to pattern his social skills after.

Poor kid. Life's going to be rough for him.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 05-21-2010, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

You put a WHAT in your Cobra?
Old 05-21-2010, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
No he won't. The guy was clearly out of line.
Letting a BBC off that easy? Refilled the Prozac this week?

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 05-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

I always enjoy hearing how I did something wrong from people. They are usually the ones that have never accomplished anything themselves.

Get used to it. There is a lot of jealousy out there and it is expressed in unusual ways.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Letting a BBC off that easy? Refilled the Prozac this week?
I still remember Patrick's response to one thread where he was talking about a ficticious kid walking away disappointed after walking up and looking at a SBF under the hood of a Cobra.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:20 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBfangs View Post
Well I was at a local car cruise and had my first person come to my car, say it was awesome but then got disgusted after he asked what engine was in it and I told him it had a BBC in it. It was amazing to me the arrogance of this guy.
Was it Evan ???
Old 05-21-2010, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I still remember Patrick's response to one thread where he was talking about a ficticious kid walking away disappointed after walking up and looking at a SBF under the hood of a Cobra.
That could be a pretty big disappointment to a knowledgable kid wanting to see a real FE.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 05-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
That could be a pretty big disappointment to a knowledgable kid wanting to see a real FE.
Yes, but feeling it is one thing; saying it is quite another. I probably should have pounced harder on this thread though. You know, something particularly wise-ass, but I had the Cobra out on a long drive today way out to Delaplane and I'm worn out. It's surprising how much the sun/wind/noise takes it out of you. Beautiful day for a Cobra ride though, and nothing broke on her, which is always nice.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Smile

What you should've said was " I didn't pull an FE out of a CSX and stick in a BBC For Cri'sakes!, it's a fiberglass replica!
I wonder if that guy says the samething to a guy
with a 32 ford streetrod with a SBC in it.

I think PaulF got it right.

Hersh
Old 05-21-2010, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My thoughts exactly, it is a replica, it is not a $400,000 original that I took and blemished it. I am all for originality but also for everyones own dream or at the least likes and dislikes. He could have said "uh that's not my taste" and left it at that. Everyone has a right to their opinion, you just have ot be smart enough to know whaen to say it or keep it to yourself. Dangerous Doug, I agree with jeans like the kid is doomed.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's "only" a replica? I hate that excuse to do whatever you want to your replica COBRA.

Reality check: We all have our limits as to what we find acceptable. Personally I draw that line at GM power, but I digress...

Maybe YOU like red crushed velvet and a wooden dash with neon lights below your side pipes and a trunk full of BIG ass stereo speakers. Maybe YOU like a lot of bling in your 20" wheels for your Cobra. I don't, I won't laugh in your face, but I WILL laugh. You cross a certain line and it's no longer art, your just an idiot, period. Where that line is crossed may be different for each of us, but we ALL DO have a line, somewhere. So, don't use the cop out, it's "only" a replica. Try to have a little respect for the hobby.
Pliskin likes this.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

........or he could have said, "So you are one of the few Cobra's with REAL horsepower!"

Old 05-21-2010, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     
Red face

when my last car looked an absolute mess before it got painted, everyone said nice things to me - I think they assumed i was half way through a restoration.... all except one guy that is: I was takng my son to a kid's birthday party, we were motoring slowly around town, and his 2 kids looked pointed and said 'wow', so I smiled and waved back. The 'Father' (I use the term loosely) then pointed and bellowed 'kitcar' .... like its a term of abuse.

My boy says 'why did the man shout that?'

'Dunno, he;s right through'.

Last edited by KevinW; 05-21-2010 at 05:25 PM..
Old 05-21-2010, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBfangs View Post
He literally looked me in the face and angrily said "you ruined it " and grabbed his kid by the arm and stormed off.
I'm guessing he heard the same thing from his parents or a spouse and picked you to make himself feel better. People like that should stay inside.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have more than enough knowledge and respect about the hobby of building cars for your own personal taste. I have built originals, modified and all out race cars, so it is not a "cop out " at all. The fact is that it is a replica, not a real one, but it is "MY" replica and I enjoy what I do to my cars.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I pulled in for gas the other day and a guy comes over and asks me if I got a chevy under the hood. I looked at him and said "I am going to pretend I didn't hear you ask that question." I opened the hood and showed him the small block with the Webers. I should just have pointed to the Powered by Ford emblems on the side.

When some one comes up at a car show whining, "is that a kit car?" Just nod and ask which car did they bring today? (Oh, the 1997 Dodge Caravan over there, what a classic!)

The last show I was at a guy had a 427 Cobra with a big block chevy. He was used to the Ford guys harassing him. As I looked further at the car, he had bright purple lap and shoulder belts, and when he smiled it looked like a burnt out forest fire from all the chewing tobbacco between his teeth. It was then I understood why he had the big block chevy and purple belts.
Pliskin likes this.

Last edited by Snakebit; 07-23-2013 at 02:08 AM..