S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree386Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 10-17-2021, 08:24 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

I like it Glen, Oh, and the other reason I'm answering you, I wanted to be the 400th post. My car will here tomorrow from Az. I need to show you guys the wrap that was done, Brent wants to see a Cobra "Shed it's Skin" I'll have pictures More than likely upside down Just for you Cheers My Friend, Tom.
Old 10-17-2021, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
I like it Glen, Oh, and the other reason I'm answering you, I wanted to be the 400th post. My car will here tomorrow from Az. I need to show you guys the wrap that was done, Brent wants to see a Cobra "Shed it's Skin" I'll have pictures More than likely upside down Just for you Cheers My Friend, Tom.
Tom, you must be slow at typing .... Tim (tkb) beat you to it by 54 minutes.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your latest acquisition.

Cheers,
Glen
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Patrick and Tim,
I wanted something that would look like it’s meant to be there (of course). It is actually a ‘60s Land Rover part.
I’m thinking that the light could mount on a bracket attached to the left leg of the roll-over bar, so I need to make the bracket look like it should be there as well.

Cheers!
Glen
Old 10-17-2021, 04:20 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Patrick and Tim,
I wanted something that would look like it’s meant to be there (of course). It is actually a ‘60s Land Rover part.
I’m thinking that the light could mount on a bracket attached to the left leg of the roll-over bar, so I need to make the bracket look like it should be there as well.

Cheers!
Glen
OK, remember you can always do what I did.

Old 10-17-2021, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
OK, remember you can always do what I did.

That is by far, the prettiest, least obtrusive, and most functional additional high mount 3rd brake light I have seen on a Cobra.
Certainly doesn't look like an "add-on", and it won't hit you in the back of the head.

Gary

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 10-17-2021, 04:59 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
That is by far, the prettiest, least obtrusive, and most functional additional high mount 3rd brake light I have seen on a Cobra.
Certainly doesn't look like an "add-on", and it won't hit you in the back of the head.

Gary
And this is how I did it. 3rd Brake Light/Running Light - Detailed Instructions & Part Numbers ("Chas. Runner")
Old 10-18-2021, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How bright is it, Patrick?

From the SD website .... "Recommended for use as auxiliary lighting only, not DOT legal to use as brake lights and/or turn signals"

Cheers,
Glen
Old 10-18-2021, 05:02 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
How bright is it, Patrick?

From the SD website .... "Recommended for use as auxiliary lighting only, not DOT legal to use as brake lights and/or turn signals"

Cheers,
Glen
Mucho brighto. Brighter than I am, that's for sure. And I don't think my Lucas rectangular lights are DOT. Nobody is going to look for a DOT sticker on that third brake light and, if they are, you could print one out on your computer.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:09 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You can buy DOT Approved stickers off Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Approved-Moto...a-727514523999

Old 10-18-2021, 11:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Patrick - I notice you said "you can buy DOT approved stickers..." not "I bought DOT Approved stickers..."
Old 10-19-2021, 06:37 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Patrick - I notice you said "you can buy DOT approved stickers..." not "I bought DOT Approved stickers..."
Uhhh, between my light and your proposed light, I think the deaf, dumb and blind DOT inspector will pass mine first.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Uhhh, between my light and your proposed light, I think the deaf, dumb and blind DOT inspector will pass mine first.
OK, I do live in "the colonies", but our registration inspectors are definitely not deaf, dumb and blind.
Maybe two out of three ..... but not all three

Cheers!
Glen
Old 10-19-2021, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So, back to the steering lock.
It's now fitted, along with the accompanying chopper plate. All clears nicely and works well.

Name:  1_Steering_lock_fitted.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  89.7 KB

It seemed a bit lazy (and probably hazardous?) to leave it exposed, so I covered a PVC container with dash leather to make it look a bit more loved, then fitted that.
When the dash panel is re-fitted, it will cover most of this anyway, but it's nice to do.

Name:  2_cover_leathered.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  93.6 KB

The steering mount bracket also looked like it needed some 'love', so that received the leather treatment as well as the steering shaft cover.

Name:  3_fit_complete.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  93.5 KB

Post could be subtitled "I like working with leather "

Cheers,
Glen
Old 10-19-2021, 11:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

It's the little details like this Glen, both the seen and the unseen, that make a build like this something truly special.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh, thanks Tim. In all sincerity, I'm happy if I can approach the quality of your ERA.
As you know, an ERA FIA was in my sights originally, but was kyboshed by the need to import chassis and body in separate containers ....and on separate ships!

Cheers,
Glen
Old 10-26-2021, 02:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

An update....some frustration today.
Worked out a route for my battery cable (which I don't yet have) from its location in the trunk, left side. By far the easiest route forward required the cable entering through the rear bulkhead (ie the panel behind the seats) and then going down through the tunnel. I checked thoughly - I thought, but not thoroughly enough - that I could safely drill and tap holes for attaching a cover over the cable. The drill broke passed through the panel ....because it hit something. The "something" was a tee connection for the rear brakes.
So, needed to check out if there was damage. Not a 5 minute job; had forgotten the accessibility issues in that area. I had to pry the junction out somewhat to access a view behind it....

Name:  Holes_for_batt_cable_cover.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  89.4 KB

As it turned out, after some investigation with a medical mirror, all is OK

Name:  Holes_for_batt_cable_cover_2.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  88.0 KB

Cheers!
Glen

Last edited by xb-60; 10-26-2021 at 02:19 AM..
Old 10-26-2021, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Glen,

Whew! That is the problem with retrofitting things, you can't always see where something else is. I just had a thought while looking at your post, in the future (not just for you but me too) when drilling through aluminum panels it might be smart to put one of those depth stops on the end of the drill allowing it to just break through enough to be able to see what is on the other side before adjusting it and completing the hole. Remember to put a rubber grommet in that hole to protect the battery cable.

Good luck.

Chees,

Jim
Old 10-26-2021, 10:43 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The drill broke passed through the panel ....because it hit something.
Takes me back to high school when a couple of us were installing custom backup lights. Right after drilling the second hole we noticed the trail of gasoline coming out on to the ground.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Glen,

....it might be smart to put one of those depth stops on the end of the drill allowing it to just break through enough to be able to see what is on the other side before adjusting it and completing the hole. Remember to put a rubber grommet in that hole to protect the battery cable.....
Excellent idea, Jim. I'll look into that.
Grommet, yep. Already on hand. Don't want a battery cable chafing AT ALL!

Cheers,
Glen
Old 10-26-2021, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Takes me back to high school when a couple of us were installing custom backup lights. Right after drilling the second hole we noticed the trail of gasoline coming out on to the ground.
A hole in a petrol tank is a hard one to fix and/or explain to dad
At that age, we don't know what we don't know....and we didn't think about consequences.
I do recall being yelled at by my Dad for 'three wheeling' on my tractor (I had an old tractor at age 12 or 13) and obviously not appreciating the likely consequences.

Cheers, and stay safe!
Glen

Last edited by xb-60; 10-26-2021 at 11:19 PM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: