Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2014, 10:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch Built with 482 FE
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down Watch out for Nick Acton!!

Ive worked with Nick for three years on a 3000 series chassis. Its a mess!! I asked him to replace it and got theres nothing wrong with it put away your tape measure and calipers n build it. He gave me a 1500 dollar discount into a $45k build for the body not fitting the frame which he had the body for the sole purpose to make sure it fit. Other issues include suspension with so much bind the bolts turn, just about everything bent and crooked and poor weld quality.

Ralphy, redmt and joe18d like this.

Last edited by ScratchBuilder; 11-19-2014 at 09:48 PM..
Old 10-29-2014, 06:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Mod Note.

The "Watch Out.." is a little harsh. Can you post a summary of what you did to try and resolve the issues. We permit both parties to post, in an effort to let them state their case and hopefully resolve issues to mutual satisfaction.

I would ask other CC members to refrain from posting here until this has been done.

Thanks
Ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Old 11-01-2014, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default response to moderators concerns

Hi,

This is consumer watch so saying watch out seemed reasonable to me.
I did the usual of discuss with the vendor privately with my concerns and when that wasn't addressed via email and phone calls, I posted. Nick is currently talking about sending a replacement ladder frame at his expense and if that works out I would consider the issue resolved.

Sincerely,

SB
1985 CCX and rcobrakit67 like this.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Good news. Sounds like you are working towards a reasonable resolution.

Thanks for the update.

ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Old 11-01-2014, 09:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ron,

Thanks for moderating. And thank you to the club cobra community to helping get my project back on track.

Sincerely,

SB
Old 11-01-2014, 10:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchBuilder View Post
Ive worked with Nick for three years on a 3000 series chassis. Its a mess!! I asked him to replace it and got theres nothing wrong with it put away your tape measure and calipers n build it. He gave me a 1500 dollar discount into a $45k build for the body not fitting the frame which he had the body for the sole purpose to make sure it fit. Other issues include suspension with so much bind the bolts turn, just about everything bent and crooked and poor weld quality. Watch out!!
X2. Acton burnt me for hundreds of dollars. I tried to work it out with him with no success what so ever. He sent me junk miss fit part after junk misfit part, and the best part is how he made me pay for the shipping both ways on all the crap I PAID UP FRONT for. I sent him over 7k and the parts didn't start trickling in for months. I finally gave up and told him he wasn't worth the money and parts he screwed me out of. I figured I would keep my mouth shut as the "god of all things Contemporary" has such a "great reputation". Take it for what it's worth, that's just my experience.
ScratchBuilder likes this.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Waiting for a new ladder frame. Nick says he's looking at shipping quotes. Will update when it is shipped.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary(2) one with 427 sohc and one with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

I never had a problem with Nick. I have ordered numerous parts and all were quality items that were shipped quickly.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The frame has a lot of problems, Nick has offered to partially replace it. He has made some nice parts for me too including the dash panel. However, I paid for a ready to go roller and ran into all sort of issues with the suspension along with the one disclosed to me prior to shipment which was the body alignment being off by about 1.5 inches. Additional workmanship issues could be seen as I took it apart:

Underside of one of the motor mounts:

Suspension had so much bind and as I loosened bolt gap opened:

Note twisted shock tower:

SB

Last edited by ScratchBuilder; 11-14-2014 at 09:49 PM..
Old 11-10-2014, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gulf GT40 CAV137, Cobra ERA286
Not Ranked     

I have also purchased many parts from Nick including a custom sized roll bar for my old Contemporary. His prices are always fair and I had them when promised. His wife Bonnie was even kind enough to deliver things I needed quickly and his shop is 45 miles away. He is one of the best fabricators I have ever worked with. The Actons are good people. If I know Nick, he will make it right.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchBuilder View Post
The frame has a lot of problems, Nick has offered to partially replace it. He has made some nice parts for me too including the dash panel. However, I paid for a ready to go roller and ran into all sort of issues with the suspension along with the one disclosed to me prior to shipment which was the body alignment being off by about 1.5 inches. Additional workmanship issues could be seen as I took it apart:
Maybe it is just me, but if he offered to fix the issue, I think it appropriate you stop complaining until you get the new item. If the new item is not correct, then you have a legitimate right to continue complaining.

Do what you want, but if you kept complaining while I was honestly trying to fix the mistake I made, you might be waiting a little longer before you got the replacement as the more you complain, the further down the list you go.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Umm he only offered to replace A single issue(the bad ladder part of the frame with one that he has in stock) after I posted to consumer watch. I sent an email last wednesday for an update and got a terse email saying he was looking into costs which I assumed meant his costs it will be to ship the frame to me. An ETA when it will be shipped and following up with tracking information would be expected?
Going further down the list on a high dollar deal? Wouldn't it be best for all parties to get it resolved quickly and move on? Taking action and shipping the replacement would be my priority.
Assuming I get the sub-frame in a timely manner, I will be more than happy to close this thread and post an update that Nick took care of it and made it right.

Last edited by ScratchBuilder; 11-11-2014 at 10:31 AM..
Old 11-11-2014, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebuilt, .060 over 428 FE Dual Quad
Not Ranked     

I have also used Nick on a couple of occasions and he has always been very fair. He built a custom oil pan for my 428, did a superb job, and didn't charge me until it was ready to ship. I also bought a Watts linkage setup that was great quality and was always treated well. We have only communicated by phone or e-mail. I have never met him personally. I do get Christmas cards from him every year though!!

I hope your issues will be addressed to your satisfaction.

Anthony AKA Hi Ho Silver

Last edited by acmjg; 11-11-2014 at 01:10 PM..
Old 11-11-2014, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

His typical MO with me was to go silent for a time afterward a complaint. After several calls and emails, his excuse was that he either never got the messages or that it was sent to wrong e address. Like I said, in my last communication to him was that I finally gave up. He wasn't worth the time or hassle. I did expect him though to refund the balance of my money for the parts he never supplied. Live and learn.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:40 PM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

My only dealing with Nick was completely positive. Hope that agreement can be had.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Don't take it wrong, Nick was a great guy to work with until things went south. It's when parts didn't fit or were poorly assembled that he got all defensive and problematic.
joe18d and ScratchBuilder like this.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

redmt,

Thanks! Well put. yup awesome to work with Nick until you run into a problem..... And I've gotten a lot of PMs saying the same. It's one thing to say you will do something and play games and its another to actually do it . . . X2 on the silent treatment.... Nick has time to post under mastertouchs complaint on consumer watch but not his own?

SB
redmt and joe18d like this.

Last edited by ScratchBuilder; 11-11-2014 at 06:50 PM..
Old 11-11-2014, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

When your in business , especially with custom made sometimes one of parts, sooner or later something is going to go sideways. It's inevitable. What really upset me was when I would tell him something didn't fit or was poorly built, he would get all upset and then you wouldn't hear from him for sometimes weeks at a time. It finally got to the point where he started telling me that my Contemporary might not be a Contemporary. I was speechless. I had to send pix of it to reassure that it was. It finally got to the point where the frustration level was so high that I couldn't even look at the car without becoming upset all over again. It was then that I decided he wasn't worth the aggravation he was causing. He wasn't worth the trouble. I am still surprised that he didn't even have the decency to refund the balance of my money for parts he never shipped. I'm sure that he has many satisfied customers that are happy as can be with his parts and service. I'm just not one of them.
joe18d and ScratchBuilder like this.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:35 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

OK, I feel a need to step in and say something here...

I have dealt with Nick for quite some time and have had no issues.

I had a difficult issue with a bad fuel cell in my 42 gal tank which I posted details about here. With Nick's advice and help, I pulled the bad fuel cell, packed up the tank and shipped all the way across the lower 48 to his shop to be modified and used without the fuel cell. I did it on faith since my car was in a shop at the time for other work and the clock was ticking. Nick stayed in touch with me all the way, did the mods and shipped the tank back in no time.

I am sorry to hear the things on this thread, but can only say that for me, Nick has always been a stand-up guy. He has also been here for a lot of us on this site for a long time.

I really hope to read a happy ending for everyone on this thread and that we can all move on.

That's my 2 cents
Old 11-12-2014, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

All,

Please keep in mind the scale here. There's about $20-25K of labor and chassis involved and another $25K of parts
that Nick didn't manufacture that he resold to me. That are of no use without a frame and control arms. Nick's ally parts cut out on his plasmacam
like the dash panel and firewall look good. However the chassis and control arms are sub-standard in weld quality and bent,
bushings seized on control arms, etc.
At my expense I 'm having the front upper and lower control arms replaced with another vendor for around $2K
and they don't have issues, ie there not bent and weld quality is good, they measure to print, and the ends are in line.

After closer inspection of the Acton frame the welds you can see are ground smooth with a
thick coat of paint and the ones you can't are poor quality. . .

Still waiting on Nick to make this right and could've done so over the years, instead of covering up his mistakes:
1. adding spacers to the dash stand offs to hide the fact the body is in the wrong spot by 1.5"
2. building wide custom control arms due to shock towers being too wide
3. extra long intermediate steering shaft due to body being in wrong position
4. Control arms and mounting points bent to fit
5. Bronze bushed control arms bushings seized or over reamed and appear to be hammered on
6. Rocker panel arm bent backwards to mask body in wrong spot

Nick committed to building a frame as good as Kirkham and didn't come close, for the amount of $$ involved I would've
been better off buying a kirkham roller, but I thought Acton was a quality shop. . ..

And from talking to other ppl Nick owes at least three people some money.

So where's the stand up, make it right, and fast shipping Nick Acton?

SB
redmt and joe18d like this.

Last edited by ScratchBuilder; 11-19-2014 at 09:53 PM..
Closed Thread

Tags
ace3001, acton custom, acton custom enterprises, mickmate, nick acton