Like Tree1Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2003, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

It seems like the masses are all buying Factory Five due to cost. All the other manufacturers will probably be in big trouble and fade away except for the high end guys like Kirkham and Superformance.

Ed
________
Old 02-05-2003, 09:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

CobraEd,
I don't know about that. I think there is plenty room for those in the "middle of the road". I have considered FFR, based on price, but it just isn't my cup of tea. I have seriously considered Kirkham, but am worried that at that price I would be afraid to "race it".

Classic Roadster gives me the extra room I want for a daily driver and the price is right. I WILL race it! And SO many options available to build it or have it built "your way". If the company can get it together the car has a lot going for it. I wouldn't hesitate to contract with a builder (and choosing the builder is the KEY to it all) if I was ready to order a CR. I know the car WOULD be built because the builder would "handle it" the problems personally.

Ernie
Old 02-07-2003, 03:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

The times they are a changin'
Good or bad is the question. Dons offered to help, I've offered to help. We've both invested countless hours into this company without personal gain. It's a darn good car, one of the most reliable on the market, simply one of the best.

I just can't understand how a business can have such a great product and simply keep shooting themselves in the foot? I think you can read "between the lines" in Don's post. He is just as disgusted as I am.

I only hope what Don has heard. and what little I have gleamed from the new company do in fact mean good things. The times are changing, hopefully the way Don and I want them to!

If it goes to the plus side, and I think it will, CR's will once again rise to the top. If you need help or parts I know Don and I will be here to do what we can.

Until then, hang in there. You do have a top quality product. we just have to get you all of it!
DV
Old 02-07-2003, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster,351w 405HP
Not Ranked     
Angry Classic Roadsters

Pete from Classic Roadsters called me on 2-04-03.Again I expressed my frustration and concerns.He had no answers;however,after expressing concerns about the rear springs, it was determined that I have the wrong parts.Pete was to call me on 2-5-02 to give me details on delivery of the backordered parts and body replacement.NO CALL.I left message for Pete on 2-06-02.No return call. This SUCKSSSSSS!!!!!!!
I wonder if they would like to sell this product line to someone who is more passionate about these cars? Someone who knows something about customer service!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2003, 03:02 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 351W -> 392
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Well, I just got an interesting letter, to say the least, from IMAR....
but before I spout off about Gary Rutherford's first statement in the letter... I thought I would make sure I am not mis-interpreting the letter... good news, is that we should be getting parts soon, and all of them.....

Anyone else get this letter?

"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier."
Old 02-19-2003, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Called CR again this afternoon.I haven't heard from them as promised(big surprise), I finally got Pete on the phone.I've been leaving messages.No reply as usual!Anyway,I unloaded on him.He mentioned a letter from Gary being mailed to me and others.Have not received it yet,so I don't know the particulars.Pete only said that it states what is happening at CR and what they are doing about it.What is the first Statement?Should I be hiring a lawyer?
Pete STILL has not resolved the body damage issue.He says the trucking company has not called him back.Fact is I don't care about the trucking company.I have a body with cracks that were there when delivered.It was raining when it was delivered in November so the body was wet .Damage was not seen until it was dry.After all this time, it's still not resolved.I want it replaced . I'm out of patience.Does it show.This is enough to piss off the good humor man!!!
Old 02-19-2003, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owner, Classic Roadsters II
Not Ranked     

Nice letter that Mr. Rutherford sent . I have been working with the new CEO the last couple of weeks to try and resolve some of the on-going issues. The letter basically states that Classic isn't going to ship any backordered parts until they have them all in stock. They estimate 90 days.

Poor Pete is caught in the middle between good and evil and really is doing the best he can.

Starwolf, I'll call Classic tomorrow and see if I can get a good answer to your problem. I'll post here after I do.

The letter can be interpreted several ways. The good news is that I personally know that parts are coming into Classic. Sidepipes are being made. Most of the metal parts are on the way or already there, wiring harnesses were supposed to be delivered today. There is still a big backlog of interiors. The main upholstery person is on vacation. If I only had a dollar for each time I tell someone to be patient.

Don
Old 02-19-2003, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

Is it true that when someone buys a company they don't have to assume any of the old companies obligatons? Any lawyers out there? 90 more days,there goes half of the cruise season here
in Joisey arghhhh!!!
Old 02-19-2003, 07:23 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is how I read it... so, after talking with others let me vent a little
Maybe this isn't the place to do this for the future of this, what appears to be, great kit, but let the people rise to effect change...

Let the legalisitic banter begin (you made that, in my opinion, stupid comment Mr. Rutherford)

It has now (1/16/2002) been over a year since, in my opinion, an Un-Kind (ne'er once returning messages or letters, and now his latest statement) Gary Rutherford, then President of Classic Roadsters, took my deposit for a kit as I still wait for a, in my opinion, lenghty backorder list.

I, in my opinion, have faith that IMAR will provide the parts necessary to complete what I have purchased.

I, in my opinion, believe that "he" (as president, thus no personal liability) is probably legally correct that the liabilities are not assumed by the buyer, unless it is specifically included in the purchase agreement, thus, is still the liability of Classic Roadsters, which would presumably be close to filing for bankruptcy pending any litigation. Is this poor form? ethically yes, legally... for lack of a better term.... beautiful.

I, in my opinion, think Mr. Rutherford, as "president" of both companies, should have left out the first paragraph, as it made my blood boil.

I, in my opinion, sincerely pray that this posting on ClubCobra is not considered, as a recommended Classic Roadsters supplier stated regarding my posting on his business dealings, " A cheap shot," thereby jeopardizing my future delivery of parts.

I, in my opinion, will remove my location from my profile in hopes that it can not be easily determined who I am.

I, in my opinion, am so grateful Don Scott, and DV are able to instill confidence in this company and be a watchdog. They have put their reputation up, and their reputation ALONE is what is going to save the company. (every time I speak with someone at IMAR/ClassicRoadsters, I end up disappointed and discouraged.)

I, in my opinion, am DISGUSTED, that Mr. Rutherford, would belittle his clients by making him believe that his, in my opinion, poorly run company is doing US a favor by being "WILLING" to now provide what he already promised..... He should, in my opinion, run for President with Clinton as VP.

(BREATHE, BREATHE, I wish this had a spell check)

"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier."

Last edited by J. T. Toad; 03-01-2003 at 02:30 AM..
Old 02-19-2003, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Art, I don't think that they have to assume any of the old companies liabilities but it would be very idiotic on their part not to. They are buying the name and the customer base as well.

I have told the new CEO that if they are going to assume this new policy that the letter states then I will personally drive to Fargo each week, pickup any new parts that have been received and ship them to Classic customers from my location at my expense! I will not stand by and let Gary do this to people. Even if the parts just trickle in you guys will have something to work on. I also have the same problem. I did have a pretty good supply of parts in stock but I have shipped them out and now I'm waiting for parts. I can't run my business this way so why does Gary think he can. It's taking advantage of you and I along with Ed (when he gets back from sunny Florida) won't stand still and let it happen.
Don

JT, I agree with you 100%, and so do the employees of Classic Roadsters. I personally know their won't be a bankruptcy. IMAR has made a committment and they will stick to it.

Last edited by dscott; 02-19-2003 at 07:31 PM..
Old 02-19-2003, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

10 years ago or so, when I went through a similar situation with CR, the situation ended up with CR going bankrupt and leaving me without a great number of parts that I had purchased and paid for. Since I was an unsecured creditor (as are ALL customers), I had no recourse.

If, in the current situation, I had paid for parts as yet undelivered, I think I would get some sort of refund, bond, or SOMETHING from CR until the parts were shipped. Once bit, twice shy.

How CR can operate with continuously having back orders is beyond me! With all of the trouble they had in the past you would have thought that they would have put into place a strong supply line and not take orders unless they had the capability of filling the orders. (Yes, I realize that the capital outlay to maintain a stock of unsold parts is excessive ... but the reputation CR achieved 10 years ago was also excessive!)

OTOH, I really do like the CR frame and body and I think the kit is very well engineered. The help I received here from DV and Don Scott was instrumental in my finishing my Cobra and I leave my Cobra website up for other CR builders to supplement the CR manual.

I'd like to say that I'd like to see Don or DV purchase CR and "do it right" ... but I wouldn't like to put the headaches of CR onto either of these fine gentlemen!

Who is John Galt?
Old 02-19-2003, 08:05 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is in jest..

Yeah, thanks PETE! I know your website... it is one of the reasons I bought the KIT! Great.... Look at me now!!!!

seriously, I do not (should add a YET) regret purchasing this kit, I am pleased with what I have received, just not in the way it has been delivered. It appears to be a great design and everything (except the parts I received from an authorized dealer, see other posts) assembles fine. Pete, thanks for your website, it has been a tremendously valuable tool for me to reference what I should be doing.

I believe that it is the KIT manufacturer mentality to move as many kits possible, but they always seem to forget to 'move' them completed. How familiar of a story is this?

Old 02-20-2003, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don......Thank You! I do believe that you (and DV),do more for Classic Roadsters,than they realize.
My situation looks pretty grim at this point; ie:no work can be done on the car.Nothing was shipped complete,no springs,missing wiring,missing gauges the list goes on.Add to it Body damage.Just nowhere to start.I had arranged garage space at a neighbors,but the agreement ends this june. I won't have garage space to build!This certainly is not what the sales person promised before I paid the deposit. "30-45 day delivery after payment". What a bunch of BULL****!! This was 10-31-01!!!
I need a coffee.Think I'm going to be sick!!!!!
Old 02-20-2003, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Starwolf, Let me know what you are missing and I'll see what I have I can send to you. I have some wiring, gauges, etc. I may have asked you this before but please refresh my memory. I talked to Pete today about the new body they are supposed to send to you. If I stay on top of it maybe I can get it shipped for you.

I am getting so tired! I've been working 12 and 13 hour days for so long I'm starting to forget what my wife looks like. I got into this business because it was fun! Not much money in it buy hey, no stress! Well, the stress level is rising and 90% is from Classic. The job at McDonalds looks better all the time! Would you like fries with that? Boy, sounds like a tough decision.

Don
Old 02-20-2003, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

Hey Don Make "freedom Fries" not the detested french fries

Har har
Old 02-21-2003, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I received my letter from IMAR today.As I read between the lines,it says that they are not assuming the liabilities of Classic Roadsters.IF we are patient they may ship the parts due us.The letter DOES NOT say that parts will be shipped within 90 days!It says;" within 90 days the entire purchasing and inventory system will be merged into the Sugar Sand/IMAR system.It also states that they want to ship all remaining parts at once.Nowhere in the letter is it stated WHEN the parts would be shipped.
Also attached to the letter is a backorder report,1 1/2 pages.It's not accurate.I honestly feel that I was ripped off.The people at CR knew they would not be able to deliver the kits people were paying for,yet they took our money..How do these people live with themselves?

Don: I faxed a letter to you today that was sent to Pete back in December.It listed most of the backordered parts.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don,

Please pass me the barf bag.

Been through this before. There are options. Fellas, please keep us posted as to phone calls, faxes, any contacts with or from CR's.

Pretty much a wait and see moment for now. Hopefully IMAR will stand up to the plate and take care of the backorders. We'll see......
DV
Old 02-21-2003, 07:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Uh,,,,,welcome home from your vacation Ed.

Ernie
Old 02-23-2003, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DV, Boy that was a Mickey Mouse answer! You sure get Goofy sometimes. Oh wait, I get it, I forgot you were on vacation. Boy it really is a small world after all!

Barf Bag......I have one but it's half full. Give me a call on Monday I have some interesting news.

Starwolf, I received the fax, WoW, talk about parts missing! I'll see what I have I can ship to you to keep you going.
Don
Old 02-23-2003, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don,
I will! Call you that is. I may have some interesting news for you too-a helper if you will.

I certainly hope things are quacking along!

DV..vacations are bad for your health! 4 days gone='s 187 e-mails!
Closed Thread