24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 01-17-2005, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B
Not Ranked     
Default CobraRestorers.com Beware!

Hi,

I ordered a soft top from Cobrarestorers.com and they guaranteed me it would fit my B & B. After many trials it was not even close enough to fudge. After speaking with the company they refused exchange, refund, credit or work with me in any way. I was even willing to take a hit financially. (restocking fee and so on)

Their return policies are clearly listed on their invoice when you receive the product but never a mention of it over the phone! Especially since they sealed the deal with me once they said their top would fit my car.

As always Buyer beware!!! They have lost my business. I have never encountered a retailer like them before. Most, if not all are willing to work with you especially if they said their product will suit my needs.

Now I am trying to unload the soft top on the CC forum. It is actually a very good quality top.

Bottom line if you decide to do business with them clarify their return policy etc.

P.S. I refrained from what I really wanted to say. I tried to make it a general Buyer Beware issue!

Good Day

You can observe a lot from just watching.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, S.A. 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

You might have more luck selling your top if you say which car the top will fit? Good luck.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know! That is a hard thing to do. Look what happend when I took the word of cobrarestorers. I am going to contact the actual top manufacturer Robbins to see if they can give me any more info.

Old 01-17-2005, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to mj_duell
Not Ranked     

Jams,
Any Idea what Brand Cobras it will fit? Does it have a Brand or Manufacturers logo or name?

--Mike
Old 01-17-2005, 10:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Jams,

I went through the same thing with them about 4 years ago and have avoided them since. Except I called and spent 30 minutes on the phone with them being assured the air filter that I was looking at would work under my hood. I had bought the dual four type before from them and told them it had to be that exact size and height. They told me they had one out of the box and it was laying beside the regular one and they were identical in size. So I ordered it and when I got it, the darn thing was 2" to high. I called them back and they remembered talking to me about it. I told them I wanted to return it and they told me that unless it was damaged and I could show it was done is shipping they would not take it back. So I wound up throwing the thing away as it wouldn't fit any of the cars around here.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-17-2005, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     

IF IT WAS SOLD BY COBRA RESTORERS IN ATLANTA AREA IT WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY FIT AN "ORIGINAL" COBRA WHICH MEANS IT WILL ALSO FIT AN E.R.A., A KIRKHAM, A "LATE MODEL" SHELBY AND PROBABLY A CONTEMPORARY.

SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. THANKS FOR THE INFO.

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY.

BLACKJACK
Old 01-17-2005, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Power Performance Body, Contemporary chassis, 427 CO, Big I/O toploader, AMP Billet rear, Trigo 6 pin
Not Ranked     

I am sure everyone has many happy buying experiences to tell. I have bought from most of the typical Cobra parts guys and I can honestly say that there wasn't one order that I was 100% satified with. Wrong parts, poor finish, misrepresentation, junk you name it. I know these are replicas, but we spend a lot of time and money to make them look good and function properly and safely, and Tiawan and poor attitudes isn't what we are hoping for.

You'll get it sold, but finding another may be the real issue.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

BLACKJACKS comment about fitting a very close replica, like a Shelby or ERA etc. sounds logical.

I read up on the ERA tops. They come with "to much" material so that a fit is certain. The trick with them is pull it tight, mark it and cut it to fit, not easy I would think. And "stretching" it is dependant on ambient temperatures.

This also assumes the attaching points on the body (window frame, door hinge area, rear body snaps) are in the "standard location".

What exactly didn't fit with the top in question?
Old 01-17-2005, 12:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Don't take my post about the air filter as the way they do business all the time. I have ordered many things from them in the past and had great service. I was just ticked that after running up that phone bill to be sure the filter would fit, and they told me they had them side by side and they were the same, that the filter wasn't even close. That was a case where as I pointed out to them on my return call, they messed up and not me, and I felt they should let me return the filter as it was useless to me.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-17-2005, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for your input.

The fit was a problem because of the roll bar for one and there was not enough material to make it to the windshield even if I changed the angle. I guess a B & B is a little off whe it comes to an "original". I am in contact with Robbins the top manufacturer to see if they know what cars it fits best!

I agree it will probably fit the original body types with no problem.

Old 01-17-2005, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

Robbins specifies their top will only fit 1965-1967 Original Cobras.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 01-17-2005, 02:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would have to look it up in the 97 SAAC registry,which I do not have here with me,but there is at least one "not soo good" wright up about them and an original Cobra owner and his experince with them......I personally know the guy and the car,I saw it before he sent it to them for a total restoration......Not trying to "bash" the company,but have heard a lot more "bad" than "good"..........

David
Old 01-17-2005, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Jams: Did you try returning it within 15-30 days? I've purchased a few items from them in the past and never had much of a problem. -Unless you call the 20% restocking charge a "problem". I purchased some floor mats from them once and didn't like the way they fit (even though they told me they would be OK) and wanted to send them back. I called them the same day I recieved the mats and they said I would have to pay a 20% restocking fee if I wanted to return them - and I had to do it ASAP. I told them I wasn't happy about the fact that THEY told me the mats would fit my SPF and when I got them they didn't, but they wouldn't budge on the restocking fee. I didn't like the fact I had to pay the fee so I ordered other stuff from them (stuff I was considering as future purchases anyway) that totaled the same cost of the mats and they waived the restocking charge and did a "exchange".

Here is their "terms and conditions" as stated on the back of their catalog:

GUARANTEE-All new and reproduced products are warranteed to be free of defects in workmanship and materials. The liability of Cobra Restorers Ltd. extends only to the replacement of the merchandise. If you are not satisfied with a purchase and wish to exchange, we ask that this be done within 15 days of reciept of merchandise. No returns after 30 days. All returns are subject to a 20% restocking fee unless returned for exchange. All returns must have prior authorization and must be freight prepaid. If we are in error, we will reimburse the amount of shipping only. No other warranty is written, expressed or implied. No returns on special order or electrical parts.

So, I would say that you are intitled to a refund as long as you do so within 30 days. I would call and argue your point that THEY are the ones that said the top would fit so THEY are at fault. Hence, you shouldn't even have to pay the restocking fee.

Last edited by TerrysSPF; 01-17-2005 at 05:22 PM..
Old 01-17-2005, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I only ordered from them once. I E-mailed them to clarify a part description and they responded promptly. I ordered the part online and I received an invoice at "checkout." I got the part a few days later and it was as described. But the S&H was a few dollars more than what I was invoiced for. I Emailed them and asked about the discrepancy between my invoice and the final cost. No response from them. So they made a few more bucks off of me, but I'll never buy from them again. I spend thousands every year on my cars. They loose.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4761, KCR Shelby Alloy 496,760hp
Send a message via AIM to misfit41
Not Ranked     

Now Im wondering where to buy decent parts,,I just opened a box from Finnish Line today,emblems ,steering wheel center etc,,It;s absolute junk,,I planned to call tomorrow for returns and order from Cobra Restorers,now where do I go ? ideas anyone ? thanks,Tim,

"this whole Adult thing just isnt working for me "
Old 01-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I got the Cobra emblems from Finish Line (Florida) and thought they were fine, don't know about the steering wheel center.

Cobra restorers quote:
"If WE are in ERROR, we will reimburse the amount of SHIPPING ONLY. No other warranty is written, expressed or implied. No returns on special order or electrical parts."

Doesn't sound to me like they will refund a purchase price under ANY circumstances, even if THEY screw up. Shipping only, you pay the restocking fee for THEIR screwup and the most you get is an exchange credit? How bizzare, I wouldn't buy squat from them!
Old 01-18-2005, 03:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just re-read their "warranty" and agree with Excaliber,I would not buy anything from anyone with this kind of "warranty program".............the only winner is the seller,the buyer (us) always lose on this deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David
Old 01-18-2005, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Glad to see I am not the only one that had problems. I tried to dispute the charge with my credit card but I missed the window of opportunity.

If you purchased parts recently you might be able to dispute the charges.

FYI- I purchased a number of items from Finish line and I have been pleased.

Old 01-18-2005, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4761, KCR Shelby Alloy 496,760hp
Send a message via AIM to misfit41
Not Ranked     

Excal,,How long ago did you order your emblems ?
I had ordered from finish line in the past and was happy,this time around the parts are really inferior. The side emblems are a really cheap casting from some sort of alloy and dont seem to be chrome plated as in the past ,they are light as a feather ,weigh maybe half of another old pair I have and are full of flaws. The steering wheel center with the red and white emblem is Maroonish brown and white ,off centered and looks like my granddaughter painted it.
I plan a call today ,hopefully they tried a diffrent supplier whom is not permanent. Thanks,,Tim

"this whole Adult thing just isnt working for me "
Old 01-18-2005, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 2189
Not Ranked     

If you search CC, you will see a host of negative write ups on this company that goes way back.