Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Great story! I really enjoyed reading about the diamond in the rough. Too bad for the kid selling the car. He shoulda done some homework. I'll look forward to reading/viewing more.

Hope your health problems work out ok soon.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkellogg View Post
Great story! I really enjoyed reading about the diamond in the rough. Too bad for the kid selling the car. He shoulda done some homework. I'll look forward to reading/viewing more.

Hope your health problems work out ok soon.
Funny thing is, he wasn't a kid, he was a fairly well off man. This was one of his many toys, the other car I saw was a new pristine Ferrari. I think he just didn't care.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It lives - the body is back. Old Man Shelby would probably sue me if he knew I put a GM color on a replica of his car. It's from a late 80's GMC truck, Metallic Indigo Blue with Wimbledon White stripes. I know it's fashionable these days to say "Oh, no - another blue Cobra with white stripes". I just really like the way it looks, and when I was a kid the poster on my bedroom wall was a dark blue Cobra with white stripes. The dream festered all these years, and now it's becoming reality. Actually the dream was for a real one but I'm over a million shy right now - maybe tomorrow! It's almost gale force winds out here today so I rolled it right into the garage, so you really can't see the color too well, but it's a really neat color. You can see that the old hood scoop issue I was writing about was solved with one call to the Kirkham's. They were terrific, I told them what I was trying to do with a CCX, and they thought it was a pretty neat project and they are happy to work with me. I bought an aluminum scoop from them and it fit absolutely perfectly. I also bought their billet hydraulic reservoirs, they're a work of art. Not 100% "correct" but really, really close, and light years ahead in quality from the PVC glue cans that are the originals. At least I don't have to worry about brake fluid leaks killing the paint. I'll paint them black and use the original clamps and very, very few will notice the difference. I like the way the colors worked out, I hope some of you guys do too.

Now I have essentially two separate projects - it seems like I'm always waiting on parts of some sort, now when I have no chassis parts I'll work on the body and electrical, when I have nothing to work on there I can return to the chassis. I bought a brand new custom configured Ron Francis wiring harness. I'll remove what's left of the old one and start over. I can't bear the thought of constantly chasing down electrical gremlins for the rest of the time I own the car, so I went all out with Ron, and spent whatever was necessary to get a top of the line harness for the car. It's got relays for all three fans, a fuel pump relay and crash switch for the fuel pump, it'll have Lucas indicator lights, switches and correct knobs on everything, all correct Smiths gauges (they went out to Nisonger yesterday for rebuild, so no trouble there), a complete grounding kit, the batteries will be replicas of the originals and mounted in the proper location behind the passenger seat. I'm pretty excited to really get rolling on the car, my intent is not to cut corners on ANYTHING. The fuel pump came today, it's a 250 GPH comp. Mallory electric pump with 8AN in and out, and a built in 8AN bypass line. I'll run 1/2" hard line for fuel lines and bypass lines, that should keep the thirsty beast satisfied. I expect that the sway bar setup for the rear will arrive on the 17th, I just got the tracking number from Speedway Engineering. This should be fun.

It figures, I wait all this time for the body to come, and now it comes and I can't work on it tomorrow. I've got a Doctors appointment in the city to see about my treatment options; surgery, radiation or both. I am hoping for radiation so that I can keep working on the car, surgery will lay me up for a while. I'll go stir crazy in bed knowing it's finally down there and I wouldn't feel up to working on it for a while if I have surgery. The parts and body finally came at a perfect time to keep my mind off of all the crap that's going on. I can't wait to just dive into this thing. Electrical is my weakest area, but I figured what better way to know every wire in the car and teach myself to repair anything that goes wrong than to bite the bullet and install everything myself. Ron Francis has been terrific, they assure me that any issues I run into they will be there to guide me through. I hope they don't get tired of hearing from me!

I sure hope you guys aren't bored with this thread, my car is certainly not anywhere near the incredible ERA that Fred is building, that's way beyond my means. This has turned into a true labor of love for me, and therapy in a difficult time. I look forward to long hours in the garage, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Clapton playing softly on the garage radio as I relax and drift away from hard reality and into Cobra-land.......This thread and this project are just what I need at this time. It'll never be Fred's car, but it'll be the best I can do. I think it'll turn out to be a pretty nice car, and I plan on enjoying it for a while.

Last edited by 767Jockey; 02-17-2009 at 08:42 PM..
Old 02-12-2009, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet!
Send a message via Yahoo to aks801
Not Ranked     

I know I'm not bored with it at all! A well-written, detailed build post is just fantastic stuff.

Following your quest for the car itself and the various possibilities your considered was really interesting, so this just continues it.

Best of health to you, and much good karma being sent your way. I'd think while you are recouping, some time spent sitting back in that garage and absorbing the essence of the car while listening to "Little Wing" (given your taste for the great SRV) would be a good thing.

Cheers!

P.S. That paint and color combo choice are fantastic.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
I sure hope you guys aren't bored with this thread.
Are you kidding? Not even close. I'm enjoying it and I'll never be tired of blue/white Cobras. The reason Cobra people choose it, is because it's fantastic. Personally, I would have a hard time choosing between the blue/white, black and possibly red. In fact, one of the many reasons I bought a Kirkham is to actually avoid making the color choice.

Keep on posting and get well soon.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, Alan. Little Wing, great idea!
So.....I ask myself how does one quench the thirst of a 482" 600+ horsepower FE screaming along at 6000 RPM. This is the answer I came up with. Whadya think?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
if you want top notch custom work done by a top notch guy, Nick is your man
It's getting deep now, I'm going to put boots on...........
No really, good work so far Doug. That color is awesome! I like the huge difference in appearance from inside to out, daylight to night etc, makes it look a different car. I just wanted to throw a post on here to be kept up to date. With the project AND what I got to make next. This is good for you and everyone reading. I told you it will be your best therapy!
Cheers
Old 02-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Perry View Post
Doug ,How cool i am very happy for you it seems like just yesterday we were spilling beer in seattle talking cobras. I had ol Blue out yesterday for a nice drive.good luck and call next time you are seattle...
Thanks, Bob - your ride is still one of the most beautiful CCX's I've ever seen. I hope to be out to Seattle in the fall, I'll look you up. First cold one is on me.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When I started the project, this build thread was the last thing on my mind, so I was regrettably lax in my picture taking. In retrospect it would have been kind of neat to have a photo log of the build, but all I can do is to start from here on. Here are a few shots of some things one or two of you may find interesting that I have done.

First up are the door release handles. For reasons that are unknown to me, Contemporary chose to install all their door release handles upside down, with the lever facing down instead of up. I though that this would be easy to rectify. Wrong, grasshopper! It was a pain in the tail. There is steel in the body behind the stationary part of the latch mechanism, and there was much grinding, fitting and fabricating to be accomplished to complete the task. Here is a picture of
before:

And after:

The shocks were in great shape mechanically, the car, as beat as it was, didn't appear to have a lot of miles on it. I sent them to Koni to be checked and was told they were perfect except for cosmetics. I checked with Koni for the correct color to refinish them. Believe it or not they referenced me to a Dupli-Color spray can paint color. I bought their recommended orange, and it was horrible, not even close. It turned out to be a dull orange brown color, like a burnt orange. I thought why stress over the shock color, I don't even know what color the original cars had. My suspension is the weakest part of the car as far as originality goes, shock color is likely the least of my concerns here. Many shocks are yellow, even some Koni's are yellow. I got the yellow code from Koni, and had the guys who painted the car spray them. The shocks came out great, I scored some decals from Koni, and assembled all six of them with the fresh paint, and with new 275 lb rate springs on the rear coilovers. Jeff G. used a spring similar to this on his car and got a great stance and ride height, and the handling is excellent too. I went just a few pounds stiffer, we'll see how the ride height turns out. Here are the coilovers after they were spiffed up and redone, notice that the Koni's on the rear of Contemporary's are not ride height adjustable, it's all done with spring height and rate. My springs are like Jeff's - 10" height.:

I had the rear XKE Girling calipers all rebuilt with stainless sleeves, new high performance pads, and new parking brake assemblies and pads. Once I run the new stainless hard lines to them, I should be all set up in the brake department. The Girling's are designed to offer excellent performance stopping a much heavier Jaguar XKE, they should do a fine job with a 2300 lb. Cobra:

The rear is a 3:31 limited slip Jag setup, I had it redone, and I detailed everything, all new stainless bolts,, new rear breather assembly, bead blasted the tag and everything. I used SNG Barratt for all my Jag parts, I replaced all the roller bearings in the rear suspension control arm pivot points, etc. The rear suspension is in great shape, and looks pretty good too. It got scratched up a bit installing it (have you ever tried to install a Jag rear alone? Now I know what a one armed paper hanger feels like. The darn thing is HEAVY, too!) so I'll touch up the scratches and I'll be in good shape. All in all it looks pretty good, and mechanically it's pretty much brand new:
Before:

After:

I mentioned earlier that Nick fabricated some really nice original looking FE engine mounts to replace the Cleveland mounts in the car. Looking at the pictures, the car and frame are REALLY dusty. It all needs to be really cleaned up. Here's what they look like:

I was going to try to put all aluminum panels under the hood. I'm not much of a fabricator, so I looked for someone to make them for me. The prices I was getting were crazy, so I figured before I spend all that money let me try to see what I can make the glass panels look like. I had the paint guys spray some sheet metal with a bunch of different aluminum colors, then I took the panels home and played with them. I settled on one of the aluminum colors and after some experimentation, I liked the way they looked after lightly scuffing them with a very fine wetsanding paper. They're not perfect but they look OK. What do you guys think? I also tried to have the paint guys match the color and gloss of the gel coated footboxes. I think they came out pretty good, and I'll be installing an aluminum firewall panel over the fiberglass firewall after all the items I'll be bolting to the inside of the firewall are in place. I'll countersink the screw heads into the engine side of the firewall, and than cover them with the aluminum panel. I'll fab up aluminum mounting panels for under the instrument panel to hold the fusebox and the MSD 6AL box, all on anti vibration mounts. Hopefully everything will be hidden and all will look neat underneath. I hate a rats nest of wiring under there:

Lastly, the transmission crossmember is not normally removable in a Contemporary, at least not in the early ones like mine. Someone had made mine removable earlier in it's life, I just cleaned it up, and after Nick modified it with a Tremec proportioned mount, the grade 8 bolts went in and it's all ready to receive the powertrain:

That's about it for now, I pulled the old harness out of the car tonight. It's all clean and fresh and ready for the new harness. First I think I'll run the tubes that run from the top of the transmission tunnel to the steel hoop under the cowl. Once they are in it's time to wire the car. Tomorrow is shot with the Dr. appointment, but it's clear sailing after that.

Last edited by 767Jockey; 02-12-2009 at 10:15 PM..
Old 02-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Are you kidding? Not even close. I'm enjoying it and I'll never be tired of blue/white Cobras. The reason Cobra people choose it, is because it's fantastic. Personally, I would have a hard time choosing between the blue/white, black and possibly red. In fact, one of the many reasons I bought a Kirkham is to actually avoid making the color choice.

Keep on posting and get well soon.
Thanks, Rod!
Old 02-12-2009, 11:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
It's getting deep now, I'm going to put boots on...........
No really, good work so far Doug. That color is awesome! I like the huge difference in appearance from inside to out, daylight to night etc, makes it look a different car. I just wanted to throw a post on here to be kept up to date. With the project AND what I got to make next. This is good for you and everyone reading. I told you it will be your best therapy!
Cheers
Stop posting and get to work on my parts, Slacker.....
Old 02-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang;9****4
I've been waiting for pictures and the write up....Good deal plus good friends, equals a good time building and rebuilding. The best times you'll have is when you turn the key and ease the car out of the garage under it's own power for the first time. Keep up the great work.

Bill S.
Thanks, Bill.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Doug - Great read! Keep posting pics of your progress and get well soon.
Thanks, writing it is kind of therapeutic in a way. Hope it doesn't get tedious and boring to you all.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscobra View Post
An outstanding thread--your story is inspiring. Keep the progress notes coming.
Thanks, CS - glad you find it of interest.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by khansmith View Post
outstanding! Can't wait to read what you do next.
I took a long look at your build blog tonight, it looks like an outstanding project. You're also a whole lot more computer literate than I am! I enjoy your blog and project as well. Good luck, I always thought the Hurricane is a really neat car.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

This is great, keep up the good work. I love the blue, who cares if it was a GM color, if you like it, that's all that matters.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic Motor Car; 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Hey Doug:
Sorry to hear you are spending time at home (and not working) but playing with the Cobra.....Nice color.. Where did I see that before. If you need help give me a ring....I'm enjoying reading about your project. It's coming along. You'll be on the road soon....

Ralph
CCX33417
Old 02-17-2009, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33344 with original bore 427 SO.
Not Ranked     

Doug,
Great progress....Im still working on mine as well

Your post came at an appropriate time, as I am currently recuperating from cancer surgery (prostate) and wish I could work in the garage. Best of luck to you...you are in my prayers.
Ray
Old 02-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastz06 View Post
Doug,
Great progress....Im still working on mine as well

Your post came at an appropriate time, as I am currently recuperating from cancer surgery (prostate) and wish I could work in the garage. Best of luck to you...you are in my prayers.
Ray
Ray,
I'm about to travel the same prostate cancer road as you - surgery is scheduled on March 10. I'd like to speak with you about it if you don't mind - can I call you? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Hey Doug. I've read your thread and think you're doing a great job. What you have there is more than what a factory built KMP or ERA would be. It's built with blood, sweat and tears, not just cash. That twenty-five year old Contemporary Cobra is itself a classic and can never be replaced. The body turned out truely beautiful. Why would you need a new KMP?
I'm also impressed with the help you received from the Kirkham people. I understand your take on Peter from ERA, as I've sat there in his office when guys would call looking for help with their Brand-X Cobras to no avail. I spent three years building my own ERA and would not trade it for ANY other Cobra out there, but I'm not impressed with their 'exclusive service' (although they treat me well).
Good luck with your Cobra and I hope to meet up with you sometime if you get over to this side of the pond.