Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Parker View Post
IMO it starts with the business that cast the blocks. If it was represented (by the vendor) to you that the block would accept the necessary bore to correct the flaw and you then experienced this problem, the vendor should make it right to you. That being said, the individual or company that cast the block has some incured liability at that point to the vendor as do you to your machinist. Asking or expecting the machinist to be paid by the vendor is not right either. You've all heard the phrase s*it flows downhill (?) It's true. Everyone in sucsession has an obligation to the next in line. The originator (who cast the block) has the greatest exposure. I hate seeing or over hearing people get the "Two Step" when someone else has made a mistake.
Rick,
I bought the block directly from the manufacturer. The manufacturer sold me the block, the manufacturer gave the go ahead to machine the block. The manufacturer IS the vendor.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Come to Carlisle Kit Car show

767 Jockey Doug have you thought of coming to the show? There is a great chance of fining you know who there. If you can push a little, have the new block brought to the show, I will pick it up for you and bring it home? This is just a thought. I am sorry you have had to go though this mess. I will stay with the fact that your machinist has made 2 mistakes. First one is you never order parts until ALL the machine work is done and OK'ed. Second is He should have informed you about the first block BEFORE taking it apond himself to fill the block with blockcrete. This will work fine on a 1/4 mile car but not recommended on a street motor. The boring of the blocks is also falling on him for NOT telling you about some blocks can only safety be boring .030" over. If the big bore motor was in the plans, it should have been gotten with a 4.310" size and not try to open up a 390-428 block. Your machinist is a PRO, and should have explained this before starting this work. The company that gave the OK to overbore the new block should now be held for the whole bill after giving the go ahead on the boring. The offer still stands about picking up a new block for you if they come to carlisle. Rick L.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:08 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
767 Jockey Doug have you thought of coming to the show? There is a great chance of fining you know who there...
AKA, "dispute resolution via ambush."
Old 05-09-2009, 06:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and 427S/C
Not Ranked     

Doug,

Sorry to hear about your plant! I guess that is why KC does not give his work away as he has to deal with more than a basic build.

Lesson learned here go to KC or FES for plants.

The rest of your build is looking great. Can't wait to see the car, maybe Limerock this year?
Old 05-09-2009, 06:15 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
Well I'm sure that made him feel better. Yes, indeed... I always feel better when someone else learns a lesson at my expense... and then points it out to me.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
767 Jockey Doug have you thought of coming to the show? There is a great chance of fining you know who there. If you can push a little, have the new block brought to the show, I will pick it up for you and bring it home? This is just a thought. I am sorry you have had to go though this mess. I will stay with the fact that your machinist has made 2 mistakes. First one is you never order parts until ALL the machine work is done and OK'ed. Second is He should have informed you about the first block BEFORE taking it apond himself to fill the block with blockcrete. This will work fine on a 1/4 mile car but not recommended on a street motor. The boring of the blocks is also falling on him for NOT telling you about some blocks can only safety be boring .030" over. If the big bore motor was in the plans, it should have been gotten with a 4.310" size and not try to open up a 390-428 block. Your machinist is a PRO, and should have explained this before starting this work. The company that gave the OK to overbore the new block should now be held for the whole bill after giving the go ahead on the boring. The offer still stands about picking up a new block for you if they come to carlisle. Rick L.
Rick,
I'd love to come to the show, but it's looking like I'll be out of town during that time. As far as the original block and the hardblock problem, I agree but that's over and done with, I can't change that. The guy has stood up and done the right thing, none of that mistake is costing me money, he's eating it all. It's just the time now that's killing me, and I can't change that. I wish it didn't happen, but my builder can't be doing more for me than he is now - he's doing whatever he can to make everything right. So far the same can't be said for the manufacturer of the new block. I really wish I could make it to the show.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
Doug,

Sorry to hear about your plant! I guess that is why KC does not give his work away as he has to deal with more than a basic build.

The rest of your build is looking great. Can't wait to see the car, maybe Limerock this year?
I suspect that Keith gets much more responsive treatment than I am getting. He buys more blocks in a day than I will in my lifetime. The frustration that I have is the lack of response and the lack of urgency. He 9 the manufacturer) just isn't very motivated to get this resolved. For example, when I spoke to the guy last, I said lets issue the pickup tag NOW - at least you'll have the block. I know you will want to see the block before you send out another, lets get it to you NOW so that when you get the new blocks in, you can send me one out immediately. His response? "I don't want to take the block from you now and leave you with nothing." Leave me with nothing? It's a useless pile of iron, it's garbage, what the hell am I supposed to do with it? There are between 3 and 9 black porous spots in each and every cylinder, some the size of a dime. Leave me with nothing? I was stunned. There's just no sense of urgency at all. I'm trying very, very hard to stay calm, to be cooperative and to give this guy every opportunity to resolve this problem. I am trying to take the high road on this, and I will until such time that this is no longer possible. Then I will do whatever needs to be done to rectify the situation. I hope it doesn't come to that. I am running out of patience.....rapidly.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Well I'm sure that made him feel better. Yes, indeed... I always feel better when someone else learns a lesson at my expense... and then points it out to me.
No sweat, Patrick - Jeff and I are friends and go back a way. I do appreciate the moral support on this though. It's all very frustrating, and having knowledgeable people telling you that you're not out to lunch on how you feel is certainly a help. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
No sweat, Patrick - Jeff and I are friends and go back a way. I do appreciate the moral support on this though. It's all very frustrating, and having knowledgeable people telling you that you're not out to lunch on how you feel is certainly a help. Thanks.
Well, you are rattling your saber admirably, but the sound may be falling on deaf ears....
Old 05-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well, you are rattling your saber admirably, but the sound may be falling on deaf ears....
I know- therein lies the frustration. Luckily I have attorneys in the family that will work for rides in the finished product. Let him pay for his attorneys to respond to a potential suit in NY - that'll open his ears up rather quickly, I would think. Suddenly, that new block and the machining bill is looking like a mighty cheap way out.
I hope it doesn't come to that, I have never sued anyone in my life.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I hope it doesn't come to that, I have never sued anyone in my life.
Around here, we do it just for sport....
Old 05-09-2009, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Man I'm sorry to hear of the block problems. Assuming it's the aftermarket iron sideoiler block we all know and love...Is this a 2nd generation block? I thought they had all those casting flaws worked out from the 1st gen blocks? Also there were some recent threads on FE.com about the quirks of the Genesis blocks. Be aware there's a pretty good checklist to run through. Hopefully your machinist is aware of all these things. Best of luck!
Old 02-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Finally an update! I just heard from the engine bulder that he made chips on the block, I'm finally going to get an engine! he's looking for delivery to me in March, and off I go. The car has been dead in the water for almost a year, I hope to have it running this summer. Hopefully I can get this thread going again.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

That's great news pal. Got the channel yesterday.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Finally an update! I just heard from the engine bulder that he made chips on the block, I'm finally going to get an engine! he's looking for delivery to me in March, and off I go.
Now are we talking a fully built engine, short block, long block, or just a half-ass bore out of the block?
Old 02-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Now are we talking a fully built engine, short block, long block, or just a half-ass bore out of the block?
We're talking about an all aluminum 482" Sideoiler, complete! Let's hope something doesn't rear it's ugly head up out of nowhere and bit me in my big posterior again. There have been a few small things that I've gotten done on the car in the almost one year since Genesis grounded my plans for the year. Nick fabricated me up a gorgeous comp style aluminum fuel tank. I'm in the middle of getting that in. The electrical wires are run throughout the body, wires are hanging all over the place, I can't tidy them up and cut them to length until the body is on the frame, and that can't be done until the engine is in the frame rails. Everything hinges on the frame receiving the powertrain right now. My seats have been at the local upholsterer for over a year now. I finally told him last week that they are coming home with me next weekend, completed or not. If they aren't done, and I have no reason to suspect that they will be, anyone have any ideas on where to ship them to get an accurate leather upholstery job done on them for less than the price of a used Corvette?

As you can imagine, I've been chomping at the bit to get this thing going. It's been a tough time personally the last year or two, cancer and a divorce will do that to you. The ex and I still get along real well. She gave me the car in the settlement without me even asking for it. She said it was my life long dream and I have my heart and soul tied up in it and she couldn't bear to see me have to part with it. She's quite a lady. It looks like I'll be settling down in Houston, I'm starting the search for a rental home down there for the time being. Once the car is done, I'll bring it down there. My ex ended up with the house and is letting me keep the car there and allowing me to work on it there in my old garage with all my tools and stuff. I'll finish it up there and then haul it down to Texas. I can't tell you guys how eager I am to get re-started on this thing. I'm ready to go, the only question is, will the engine show up? As I've said before, I do everyting alone. I have to figure out a way to round up a few extra guys on Long Island the day the body goes on. If not I'll have to try to rig up some sort of hoist that I can use myself. Any Long Island guys out there feel like gettting their hands busy for a day? Free beer and food for all!

I can't wait to get going, it's been too long. The wrenches are calling me, the lights are on and the radio is playing. All I need is that aluminum beauty to show up, and it's game on.......finally.

Last edited by 767Jockey; 02-05-2010 at 05:51 AM..
Old 02-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
That's great news pal. Got the channel yesterday.
Cool - I'll look for it coming back on the return.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet!
Send a message via Yahoo to aks801
Not Ranked     

This is all starting to shape up again!
Old 02-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Great to hear you're back on the project. Hope you get it together and running soon. Keep us all posted.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: currently Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

Doug, great to hear an update. Who needs a stinking house when you can bang gears in a Cobra