Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Here's a Contemporary Daytona for sale on ebay for just under $80k. Built in 1995. Only 130 miles on it. Some nice photos.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Shelb...fCarsQ5fTrucks
Old 01-02-2010, 08:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

I don't know how "accurate" it is as far as the shape of the body but the Shell Valley Coupe looks good to me.........i would'nt mind haveing one.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Try this one...
http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/...hp/carno/79465

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/...hp/carno/64981
Old 01-02-2010, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Wasn't the Johnex 427 coupe at the Knott's Berry Farm show back when it was under the trees over where they built the water park??????????
seems to me i saw it there one year.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMahon View Post
Other than McClusky's cars....I think the most affordable/accurate replica is the Contemporary/Upstate/Lesher Motosports Daytona.

The body was originally splashed from CSX2299 prior to a major restoration.

http://www.leshermotorsports.com/pro...tonacoupe.html
I second this post. If it were me and I had a ton of money, it would be McClsuky hands down. On the average joe-budget however, the Contemporary / Lesher is the most accurate IMHO. I just wish Lesher's car had the low-profile windshield ala CSX 2300.

The SPF car is awesome, but is too much of a "modern interpretation" for my taste. Personally, the FFR and Shell Valley wouldn't make my list.

Wasn't there talk of a Kirkham coupe? I remember seeing a picture on here awhile back - was that just a one-off? I'm sure a Kirkham would easily be at the top of my list, although would probably still be more expensive than the Lesher.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

That's a nice looking car! Very nice lines
Old 01-02-2010, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet!
Send a message via Yahoo to aks801
Not Ranked     

That Lesher looks bad-azz!

I think the FFR car is just fantastic as well.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOERA-SC7XX View Post
Don't forget the factory built AC coupe built in England by AC cars for LeMans. Unfortunately it was destroyed the first time out at the 24 hour race in 1964. A truely beautiful specimen.

The AC Coupe is alive and well and living in Scotland:

Paul
Old 01-02-2010, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

She's a beaut!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 01-02-2010, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Dickey View Post
The SPF car is awesome, but is too much of a "modern interpretation" for my taste. .
That's EXACTLY why I bought it. I wanted a touring car, not a race car. I've owned enough over the years. It is actually everything that my XK-E wanted to be but couldn't because of lineage issues.
The Willment Coupe is nice looking , but that picture from Scotland makes me think of an old Triumph Spitfire GT-6(?)( the coupe version, I can't recall it's actual model designation) where the windshield and front fender come together.
I don't track much anymore, however I do drive long trips at recognized speeds

Last edited by Woodz428; 01-03-2010 at 08:31 AM..
Old 01-02-2010, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodz428 View Post
That's EXACTLY why I bought it. I wanted a touring car, not a race car. I've owned enough over the years. It is actually evrything that my XK-E wanted to be but couldn't because of lineage issues.
The Willment Coupe is nice looking , but that picture from Scotland makes me think of an old Triumph Spitfire GT-6(?)( the coupe version, I can't recall it's actual model designation) where the windshield and front fender come together.
I don't track much anymore, however I do drive long trips at recognized speeds
I think the OP's question was 'most accurate body'....I think Contemporary.

But....if we're talking 'Best Coupe' for all around use? The Brock Coupe...HANDS DOWN. I love it!
Old 01-02-2010, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

I was curious to see what the Johnex coupe looked like in profile so I buttoned 'er up. To me it looks like a cross between the Willment coupe and a Daytona.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 01-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

[quote=Jac Mac;1014501][quote=Buzz;1014489]As far as replicas go, there was the interesting Johnex 427 Coupe; supposedly based upon drawings of a never-released big block coupe variation. There was some controversy about it being misrepresented as a Super Coupe replica while actually being based more on the Willment design.

Quote:

At first I thought it might be a replica of 2286 in its original 3" stretch version,,, but in the 'Shelbys Wildlife' book there is mention of a partially completed second FE engined car that was still in the UK & might have had links with Alan Mann etc... could this be the car that inspired this Johnex car?
I seem to remember seeing a picture of an unfinished coupe here that was in Larry Miller's collection or maybe at the Shelby American Collection.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Dickey View Post
I second this post. If it were me and I had a ton of money, it would be McClsuky hands down. On the average joe-budget however, the Contemporary / Lesher is the most accurate IMHO. I just wish Lesher's car had the low-profile windshield ala CSX 2300.

The SPF car is awesome, but is too much of a "modern interpretation" for my taste. Personally, the FFR and Shell Valley wouldn't make my list.

Wasn't there talk of a Kirkham coupe? I remember seeing a picture on here awhile back - was that just a one-off? I'm sure a Kirkham would easily be at the top of my list, although would probably still be more expensive than the Lesher.
The Kirkham coupe was being reverse engineered from a unfinished McCluskey coupe. I believe that the Kirkhams have not produced a coupe yet, but some people may have put down deposits or tried to put down deposits.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=1ntCobra;1014821][quote=Jac Mac;1014501]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
As far as replicas go, there was the interesting Johnex 427 Coupe; supposedly based upon drawings of a never-released big block coupe variation. There was some controversy about it being misrepresented as a Super Coupe replica while actually being based more on the Willment design.

I seem to remember seeing a picture of an unfinished coupe here that was in Larry Miller's collection or maybe at the Shelby American Collection.
This is what I was talking about...

Old 01-02-2010, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     

I could do with those turbines in the background, but back to the daytona, the relatively large 'kick-up' at rear of the doors appears to be a Willment feature. There is another, the car that was being built by John Ohlsen in NZ prior to his death, now in the USA I dont have any info as to its current status other than it was seen at a couple of 'COCOA' events in late nineties. Pics I have of that car in NZ before leaving were poor quality.

Bit tough for us to be so 'picky' as none of these cars could be considered identical. I for one dont like the 'HIGH' roof car in side profile, went to a lot of trouble on my buck to 'redesign' that feature out of the shape, but to each his own...
Old 01-02-2010, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

[quote=1ntCobra;1014824][quote=1ntCobra;1014821]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post

This is what I was talking about...

Looks like she's seen some shop wear. Nice, Very nice!
Old 01-02-2010, 11:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     

I found a pic in an old post from 2002 of the Ohlsen Coupe, it was apparently given a CSX #2603, but there is now some dispute over this...

Type ..CSX 2603.. in the seach window & the thread comes up...its the only one & has 12 posts... pic title is ..'my unfinished coupe'..
Old 01-03-2010, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham and Hurricane Dealer in Mexico www.kitcarsmexico.com
Send a message via Skype™ to Kit Cars Mexico
Not Ranked     

What are the difference in this two kits? (not price)
Contemporary and Upstate.

http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds...uct=2580&cat=2

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Shelb...fCarsQ5fTrucks
Old 01-03-2010, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMahon View Post
I think the OP's question was 'most accurate body'....I think Contemporary.
Yeah, and I definitely wasn't presenting the Brock Coupe as such. Because it is more of an evolution than an accurate historical replica.I also agree with the post regarding "which" coupe you want replicated...there is a fairly broad number of styles for a car that so few were made. But, that's what makes a handbuilt car.