Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Looks really nice Dan. At this point, I think that it is time to drive and enjoy the car. Save any further carb work for bad weather.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Looks really nice Dan. At this point, I think that it is time to drive and enjoy the car. Save any further carb work for bad weather.
Agreed - but we seem to have entered a monsoon period - I come home every afternoon to showers and thunderstorms. It's raining lightly right now just as it has been for the last 4 hours. Hoping for a break in the morning and and a chance to get out before they move back in for the afternoon.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Agreed - but we seem to have entered a monsoon period - I come home every afternoon to showers and thunderstorms.
Perfect time to send the carbs out...
Old 06-27-2014, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Perfect time to send the carbs out...
I'm trying to be optimistic.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Where did you get those vacuum secondaries covers? Mine look cheap as they are black plastic.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
Where did you get those vacuum secondaries covers? Mine look cheap as they are black plastic.
I ordered from Summit. They are a Holley part - HY-20-28. They have a little different appearance from originals in the 60s from what I can tell from pictures but that's what Holley sells now. There's a big bump on top of them that serves absolutely no purpose that I can see.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 289
Not Ranked     

Like the sanding tool you made, I will be starting the body wok on my car this weekend. Goodtimes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Progress has slowed down due to work in the last couple of months. But, I'm still plugging away at body work.

I got the wheel well openings roughed in fine. After that I've been working on matching up all the panels and smoothing out the match-mold lines. A lot of this is just rough fill to get things up flush and then I will have to skim coat over the top and a good portion of the panels for the final block sanding. The trunk lid area and upper front edge of the doors have taken the most work to get everything matching up. I don't think any of it is out of the ordinary however. I made up a couple of tools for finishing the rounded cockpit edges. The simple wood tool has worked best so far.

I started out using Rage Extreme - figuring most expensive had to be the best. However, I tried some Rage Gold on the cockpit edges and I think I'm going to switch over to it as it seems a little easier to work with and sand.

The motor is pretty much all squared away at Keith Craft but I have them holding off on assembly until I get further along. After frantic research into what to use for a dual quad intake for a Street car I found a nice 427 low riser manifold and I'm having it professionally re-skinned (refinished) at a resto shop. I've seen his work on the Corvette Forum site and they come out looking like brand new.

Well - back to sanding, and sanding some more.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Although I have a 4-post lift in my garage, today was the first day I've had the Cobra up on it so I thought I would clean it up underneath and take a few pictures. It also gives a good view of the undercar exhaust system. Too hot to do much else.

Photo of 2-1/2 inch tail pipes up and over axle. Can't really see it but there is about 1/4 inch clearance to the frame and about 3/8 inch to the tire. Tight but OK so far. They have muffler wrap and there is a hanger at the top that holds them firmly in place.

Muffler hanger I fabricated.

Interestingly the small oil drip down the block plate has seemed to dry up. However the toploader is dripping from about every place imagineable.

As Patrick recommended - drivetrain ground to frame.

[url=http://s125.photobucket.com/user/dclemans/media/ERA%20Cobra/IMG_2719_zps90c16607.jpg.html][/URL

As dyslexia would have it, I noticed today that I managed to mount the front coil over marked R on the left side and vice-a-versa. Guess I need to ask Bob if it really matters and need to be reversed.

prp289 likes this.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dan,
If the lower rad hose is touching the antiroll bar, you can zip tie a piece of rubber or vinyl (like an old car mat piece) in place to stop chafing. The hose expands slightly when hot.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Dan,
If the lower rad hose is touching the antiroll bar, you can zip tie a piece of rubber or vinyl (like an old car mat piece) in place to stop chafing. The hose expands slightly when hot.
I'll have to check. I think it clears the roll bar OK but I did notice again today that it only clears the steering rack by about 1/8 to 3/16 inch.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I updated my post #488 on page 33 with some lessons learned on my experiences with fitting my roadster top.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dan,

The description of your process should be very helpful to others contemplating doing their own top. I am a little jealous of how nice the top looks without the roll bar extension at the back. It has a much smoother line. The tops, and tonneau covers definitely do shrink and expand quite a bit based upon the ambient temperature and direct sunlight. I left my top on all winter, as I plan on taking the car out in the spring as soon as the snow melts and I knew that it would be much more difficult fitting the top cold.

Jim
Old 02-18-2015, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

I just read the whole tread, ok I confess I skimmed quite a bit of it. What a journey. How many miles are on it now?
Old 02-18-2015, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

I got my top just a few days ago and will be fitting it this Spring when the weather warms up enough. I downloaded ERA's soft top instruction manual and also copied Dan's process into a file for reference, so I now have a greatly enhanced instruction manual. Thanks Dan, your very detailed descriptions will be a tremendous help. I was going to say I owe you a beer, but a steak dinner is probably more like it.

Kevin
Old 02-19-2015, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Bill View Post
I just read the whole tread, ok I confess I skimmed quite a bit of it. What a journey. How many miles are on it now?
I'm somewhat embarassed to say but about 300. Had a few teething problems, been sick, still working half time, wife comes up with things for me to do - but I also have a couple other old cars that it shares time with. So, what can I say.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
I got my top just a few days ago and will be fitting it this Spring when the weather warms up enough. I downloaded ERA's soft top instruction manual and also copied Dan's process into a file for reference, so I now have a greatly enhanced instruction manual. Thanks Dan, your very detailed descriptions will be a tremendous help. I was going to say I owe you a beer, but a steak dinner is probably more like it.

Kevin
Shoot Kevin - wished I lived closer now. I guess it was in your PM that you mentioned the roll bar leg. Not sure of the best way to deal with working the top around that - glad I didn't have that to mess with. I think I would be inclined to pull the rear leg if possible, fit the top, slice the top and install the leg, and lay the patch over it and mark the top with a crayon where it needs to be spliced in. Sounds like a good question for Jack at ERA if you haven't already asked him about it. But I know you will figure it out.

Thanks Dan
Old 02-19-2015, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Kevin,

If you want to take a spin up to western NY you can take a look at my top. Jack installed mine, so you an get a good look at what he is talking about. I am about 5 hours away. Nice wine country up here, you could make a weekend trip.

Jim
Old 02-19-2015, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Hi Jim,

Thanks, that's a nice offer and I'll let you know. I have family in Owego, NY, which is about 2 hours from you. Maybe if I get up there, I can figure out a way to make it the rest of the way.

Kevin
Old 02-20-2015, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Kevin,

Sounds good. Send me a PM if it looks like you might end up this way and I will send you my cell phone number. Would like the opportunity to see your car if it happens to make the trip.

Jim
Old 02-22-2015, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Dan,

The tops, and tonneau covers definitely do shrink and expand quite a bit based upon the ambient temperature and direct sunlight. I left my top on all winter, as I plan on taking the car out in the spring as soon as the snow melts and I knew that it would be much more difficult fitting the top cold.

Jim

I can second this. I let my car sit in the sun awhile when I installed the top this Fall and had my bow adjusters turned out about 1/4 to 3/8 inch to tighten the fabric. When I noticed later it was pulling on the upper part of my windshield frame I screwed the adjusters back to 0 which left a bit of slack in the top - I could push it up above the bow an 1/8 inch without any effort. I checked it today and the top seems just as tight on top n0w as before.