Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Guys,
Last question for now, if you were to redo the carpet (seats are 2 years old and not going to be recovered again), would you do light tan(similar to the seats) , dark brown, black? If black, wouldn't it look funny with the tan seats and door panels?
Brown is never a classy color-especially on Cobras. Gotta avoid the 'clown car' variety.

I'd go with a very deep, rich green. Just don't clash with body color but compliment the tan. And don't forget the trunk carpet. That will work with the black dash.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Bills not doing anything the rest of havent done whe we have tried to sell a car.....
he wants what he thinks is a fair price for his investment....
as far as the ad goes "keep it simple" leave the cute stories for the grand kids....
as for the car...change the carpet to black....when they ask why the seats arent
black....ask them if they have ever sat on a black seat after it has set in the sun
all day long....you couldent give me a car with black seats.
the only other change is i would turn the tires around on the rims...black wallsout
and DETAIL the heck out of it....put a for sale sign in the pass. seat and everywhere
you go put that sign up in the windshield for people to see....and hit every car show
in your area...put it out there for people to see....
good luck Bill........
Old 06-03-2010, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Then raise the price to $55K.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:19 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Bill, I just showed this exact picture to my secretary and said "what do you think?" She pointed to the first car and said "that car looks great" and then pointed to the second car and said "that car looks horrible." No kidding; that's an exact quote (and she is an old car buff as well).

Last edited by patrickt; 10-26-2016 at 11:58 AM..
Old 06-03-2010, 08:21 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Patrick,

That is the difference between listening to Curt Scott and not listening to him

I'll be taking better pictures once I get the interior done, maybe next week if I have the time.

Pat,

You sure I shouldn't price it higher

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-03-2010, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bill

how about some stripes or offering a discount to a buyer for a paint job...try stick on stripes?..(maybe someone here can photoshop them on to see what it would look like).the green color would be more in line with a "street undercar exhaust type car"...maybe make it more racy..or offer a paint job at your cost?
Old 06-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Well, if we're going to pick on little things, and trust me, this is a very little thing Bill, but the spark plug wires look a little disorganized and they're grey. They're cheap, so I would replace them with some nice new black ones and have them organized better with wire looms and/or separators.

There. My apologies for such a ridiculously small item that I'm picking on.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

An overcast day will help with pictures to reduce contrast, but the 2nd picture taken on a bright day is just overexposed. Even today's fancy intelligent camera meters can be inaccurate depending on what's filling the frame.

When the car is too "light" green in your case based on the camera meter's opinion (as opposed to your opinion), just switch to manual exposure mode and underexpose the shot compared to what the meter thinks. You could bracket a few shots, like -.5, -1, -1.5 stops and see if any of them look good. Digital is good for getting fast feedback, but I find that looking at the lcd on the camera in bright sunlight to review the picture is not nearly as good as getting the pictures onto the computer monitor to make sure they are right.

The composition of the first picture is also a bit better. It usually helps to get a lower angle when taking pictures of cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Bill, I just showed this exact picture to my secretary and said "what do you think?" She pointed to the first car and said "that car looks great" and then pointed to the second car and said "that car looks horrible." No kidding; that's an exact quote (and she is an old car buff as well).

Old 06-03-2010, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR SLC, Graziano 6-spd, LS3
Not Ranked     

Another ad idea, based on the pictures (need to get rid of the dates though) :

Before Engine Start:

Engine running:
Old 06-03-2010, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     

Well I will throw my thoughts in as well, as this is just my experiences. Now Bill these are my first and honest opinions... When I first saw this I thought 427 "Tunnel Port" sweet! Then I saw the color and I was like "well OK" not so bad, then I saw the interior and I was like "man I just don't know". The biggest thing I've encountered with mine is "why didn't you paint it blue with white stripes?" and I just can't believe these comments (because their ALL blue with white stripes!!). Now , to each their own and you might find the "right" guy that just has to have all of these combo's. BUT, I think it's a little out of the "Cobra Norm" for most. I think, like others, changing the carpet to black would help a bunch, the tan carpet just looks faded and dirty to me. Get rid of the white letters on the tires unless they're billboards. The engine is really cool BUT it has a lot of miles on it and to most it doesn't offset the price in the car. The motor is probably more valuable for an old Nascar race car than a Cobra. I have the heads and intake so I know how sweet they are!

I myself think it's a great looking car, great engine, good price, BUT a little tired looking especially underneath( old pics you posted). The problem as you know is the market is way soft and big block Cobra's just are not pulling top dollar anymore. I wouldn't take anything less for than 45K for my car and I would think a 427 would pull another 10K to 15K BUT the ones I've seen selling are newer, cleaner, updated, AND the traditional Cobra colors.

I would take it off for while or list it elsewhere as it has probably gotten too much "negative ex poser" here. Not necessarily negative but too much attention that might send a prospect elsewhere. The best of luck and at least you have a nice car that you enjoy and can drive!! That's more than a lot of us in this hobby! Thanks, Matt
Old 06-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Here, I touched it up a little bit. I got too tired though to take the fence out of the windshield.

Last edited by patrickt; 10-26-2016 at 11:58 AM..
Old 06-03-2010, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Here, I touched it up a little bit. I got too tired though to take the fence out of the windshield.

Bill just has a wood paneled visor now.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 06-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Bill just has a wood paneled visor now.
If I tinted his seats a charcoal grey I think it just might sell.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Uhh, and now for something completely different...

Now mind you I don't know a whole lot about selling nuthin', but if he's going to touch-up his pictures, then maybe going over the deep end is the way to go. Something like this to catch the reader's eye:

Last edited by patrickt; 10-26-2016 at 11:59 AM..
Old 06-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Old 06-03-2010, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Can you photoshop out the second roll bar as well as the padding around the roll bar?

Quote:
Now mind you I don't know a whole lot about selling nuthin', but if he's going to touch-up his pictures, then maybe going over the deep end is the way to go. Something like this to catch the reader's eye:

Old 06-03-2010, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

One thing that caught my eye (from a negative perspective) is the engine compartment. It looks "tired"--there's residue from fuel on the back carb and manifold and the headers are rusty (detracts from the "wow" factor of the dual-fours and tunnelport).
Old 06-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Poor patrickt, he must be way behind his car as he chases it down the street with nobody at the wheel... I'm not sure the padding on the rollbars will prevent the finish on the rollbars from being scratched when the car eventually collides with something.

Quote:

Old 06-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra View Post
Poor patrickt, he must be way behind his car as he chases it down the street with nobody at the wheel... I'm not sure the padding on the rollbars will prevent the finish on the rollbars from being scratched when the car eventually collides with something.
Actually that shot resulted from me standing next to the car and reaching in to turn the key and start it up. Unfortunately it was in gear at the time and took off without me! But, luck was with me, it was low on gas and stopped just down the street with no harm done.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm not so sure the original CSX3000's came with the tri-bar headlights.