Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA-427 side oiler
Not Ranked     
Default Electrical gremloins??

Hi All. Been hanging around the site for a while, finally jumped in and bought Bill S.'s car right before Christmas 2010. You guys know these cars far better than I ever will, so here goes. Drove into work today, 31 miles. Turns signals quit on me and so did the cooling fan. Coincidence? Don't usually believe in that. Any usual suspects here? Thanks.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

First check the fuses on the Firewall inside the engine compartment.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 05-12-2011, 08:55 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

"Gremloins" Is that like the loins of a gremlin? If so, how did they get in your car? Dja' hit one on the road?

Sorry, I know, I'm no help................
Old 05-12-2011, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

You know, I hate it when people spell things wrong in their thread, so I looked it over before posting and as soon as I posted I saw it and said to myself, with this crowd, I'm toast. By the way, love your avatar.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic Car Co. replica of 1966 Cobra made in 1988 with big block bowtie (600 hp 454), Bought about 4 months ago
Not Ranked     

kinda reminds me of the time Paul Harvey gave a news report about a guy that resisted arrest and the cops shot him in the fracas. Had thousands of people e-mail him wanting to know where was the fracas on the body
Old 05-12-2011, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

You might check ERA`s website as I know they have an electrical primer/trouble shooting section . I just can`t remember if it`s in the section that is reserved for ERA owners ... which you now are ... congratulations !
You might also call Bob P. at ERA as he is the guy that designed the car and electrical system .... and tell you how to access that section , and can give you some ideas on what to look for .

Bob
Old 05-12-2011, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

The signal lights, fan relay and the voltage regulator are on the same fuse. If your alternator is still charging, it's not the fuse. Otherwise, check the bottom fuse on the passenger's side.

I've e-mailed you the link to the private ERA section, with manuals and wiring diagrams.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:46 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobradad View Post
Hi All. Been hanging around the site for a while, finally jumped in and bought Bill S.'s car right before Christmas 2010. You guys know these cars far better than I ever will, so here goes. Drove into work today, 31 miles. Turns signals quit on me and so did the cooling fan. Coincidence? Don't usually believe in that. Any usual suspects here? Thanks.

Going to ramble a bit as I am short on sleep the last few days but not short on caffeine intake......Simplest thing I can think of, and I have to ask, did you check for a blown fuse? I never really had any electrical problems other than a blown headlight or tailight bulb. Did you change out the old radiator and fan for the new aluminum radiator and fan assembly,if so could you have a loose connection? Also, inside the fan box were two brand new (I assume stainless steel) fuse blocks I had planned to swap out for the old (I believe brass) ones (saw them on my friend Marc's new FIA early last year). If you have a humid garage perhaps the old fuse blocks have some minor corrosion, pull each fuse and clean the ends of them, then reinstall. If you want me to, I can swing down one weekend and assist however I can in troubleshooting.....Just let me know

Edit: before being sold (actually several months before) the car received a shiny new alternator and voltage regulator, so I doubt those are the culprit, but you never know.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS

Last edited by mrmustang; 05-12-2011 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: added information remembered
Old 05-16-2011, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Electrical Gremlins!

Thanks all. Bob sent me the link and I printed out the owners manual updated version. Fuse 4 was the culprit. Now if it would only stop raining I could get back to driving it.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobradad View Post
Thanks all. Bob sent me the link and I printed out the owners manual updated version. Fuse 4 was the culprit. Now if it would only stop raining I could get back to driving it.
Don't get me started about the rain.

Jim S
Old 07-11-2011, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 781, 69' 428CJ, PPG BLACK. ERA 3005 Arctic White 331 SBF
Not Ranked     

My gremloins are fine, but the darn Gremlins are driving me nuts! Last week it was the magnetic pickup, Saturday it was the turn signal relay, today it won't turn over. Ran so well yesterday and purred along for a great one hour cruise. (I don't do 3 hr. cruises because I wind up on an island somewhere with a bunch wackos!)
This afternoon the wife and I jumped in and were ready to head out to a car show -- turned the key and nothing. Sounds like a dead short. Battery is charged, all lights, horns, signals work strong. Turn the key and just nothing. I did replace my ignition switch when I was chasing the mag. pickup and I'd rather not pull the dash again, but I'm getting pissed at the gremlins and about to solder the crap out of everything. If you've got some tricks for chasing this, please... thanks again
Old 07-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murky781 View Post
(I don't do 3 hr. cruises because I wind up on an island somewhere with a bunch wackos!)
This afternoon the wife and I jumped in and were ready to head out to a car show -- turned the key and nothing. ... Battery is charged, all lights, horns, signals work strong. Turn the key and just nothing.
Well just sit right back and you'll hear a tale.... If you're turning the key on a fully charged battery and hear absolutely nothing then it's either the ignition switch, connections, or the starter solenoid that should be mounted on your firewall over the passenger side footbox (under the hood, not over the passenger's feet). Put it in neutral, with the key off, and put a jumper wire from the positive battery cable connection on the solenoid to the front left connection (on the front of the solenoid, farthest to the passenger side). It should crank. If it does, immediately go to the ignition switch and try and crank it. If it doesn't crank, then it's either the switch or the connections between the switch and the solenoid. If the jumper wire does not make it crank, whack the solenoid with the handle end of a screwdriver and try again. If it still does not crank, and does not even click or buzz, then replace the solenoid.

Last edited by patrickt; 07-11-2011 at 08:17 PM..
Old 07-12-2011, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

If you don't have a Volt-Ohm meter, please get one. The cheap ones are under $15. A quick check at the fuse box (notably at the passenger's side main connections) will tell a lot.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 781, 69' 428CJ, PPG BLACK. ERA 3005 Arctic White 331 SBF
Not Ranked     

Thank you. I did the jumper and it only sparked a little. Gave it a decent rap with a screwdriver and tried again and it turned over. Gave the key a try and it's back working.I'm adding the jumper wire (8" of #10) to the car tool kit and try to remember what I did next time this happens. I'll replace the solenoid just to be sure.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Another Success...

Well let me then take this opportunity to irritate my good frienemy ERAChas. Yes Chas, this one was solved while lounging by the pool with my Blackberry... which is what I'm doing now by the way.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Yes Chas, this one was solved while lounging by the pool with my Blackberry... which is what I'm doing now by the way.
Was the pool near an oyster bed?
Old 07-12-2011, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2119
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Well let me then take this opportunity to irritate my good frienemy ERAChas. Yes Chas, this one was solved while lounging by the pool with my Blackberry... which is what I'm doing now by the way.
Love it!!!
Old 07-13-2011, 07:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Since a rap with the screwdriver cured/identified your problem why not just spend the 15 or 20 bucks at NAPA and replace the solenoid so you'll minimize the chance of it happening again. If it's already stuck once on you the next time it may fail completely. To me, the sticking indicates a potential problem down the road. When it comes to inexpensive replacements I'll go with new any time. Just my $.02.
DonC
Old 07-13-2011, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Thanks Don, I have replaced it and even put a spare on the shelf. Pat had suggested that in a private message and I thought it was the wise thing to do also. I may have assembled my car, but not having turned a wrench in 40 years I'm still working on that steep learning curve of what I created.
All of you on here are a great help and I'm even keeping a book that has a symptoms/fix list. Seems like the gremlins come in threes on my car and does it seem like they run so perfectly just before they crap out?
Thanks for the help
Old 07-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Was the pool near an oyster bed?
Since I've been so hard on ol' Chas, I'll spring for the oysters for everyone....