Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree9Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Holy sheet eveyone needs to chill. I would never have any heartburn buying a car from mrmustang, if he says it does or does not use oil or does or does not have a problem he is a straightforward guy and has to be since he publihses on these forumns and sells his share of cars.

Either way engine or no engine this car was worth an easy $50k, once oil consumption is resolved, ie anything more than 750 miles per quart, heck your looking at high 50's, right buyer you may catch $60k.

worst case scenerio $42k plus $4k = $46K I still see a very easy 10K profit and probably closer to $14K. Nice the previous owner divulged it consumed oil and for all practical purposes sold it for parts cost.

I just wish it was silver with black stripes or blue with white stripes, LOL.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:10 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Well, the proof is in the pudding as they say, attached is a quick video of the car, fresh and cold start up after sitting for the past week while I was in Florida. The addition of the PCV and the change over to 10W40 have been done as well.
[youtube]PJ4uPOuveYI[/youtube] (can't get the embedding code to work, click on the attached direct link)

Fresh Start Up

Two additional shots attached showing the cross hatch of the cylinder walls (I have all eight, but these two show the best). Contrary to what the seller posted earlier in this thread(and without getting into a pissing match with him), there is no pitting in the cylinder walls. Verified now by dropping the pan (to check the lower cylinder walls and look for bits and pieces in the pan) as well as scoping the cylinders from the top (with and without mirror attachment for the video scope). Motor was hand cranked over at both time. again verified by multiple mechanics now while I was away, and myself today. If Rick lake is willing, I'll get him out here to verify as well as everyone here knows how meticulous he is and how brutally honest he is about what he comes across. Have not had a chance to drive the car yet, will hopefully have time next week if we are not back in Florida at which time I'll start with 50,100,150 mile checks and double checks More mileage if the weather holds out and I have the time to drive it further. Again, could the Total Seal rings be one of the bad batches that are floating around, absolutely, and I'll report as such. As I have said in the past, only time will tell.

That is it for now, need to find the clunk in the suspension, then will take it out on a long distance run.

Bill S.
Attached Images

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-29-2013, 05:17 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Additional changes were to the distributor which was recurved so that there is 35 degrees total timing, a change to the accelerator pump cam setting, a rejetting (I do not have the specs handy this evening). Further, a dry compression test before fire up late this afternoon showed all to be 189-190, except #6 which was at 187. Moving to a larger air filter will be part of my future plans, I know I have used a drop base and 2.25" high filter with a K&N filter top in the past. Have to make sure I have the clearance for a 14" unit....Will potentially find that out when I get back to Bruce's Speed shop and go through my past purchase file. I'll let everyone know part numbers once I have them in hand.

Bill S.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Looks just like it did when it left ERA after THEY replaced the intake gaskets!!! But it still used 1 qt of oil every 150 miles per Peter at ERA.

Those pictures you posted of the cylinders are dark....Get another scope down there. You can't miss it....2 separate shops found the pitting. BOTH using Snap-on bore scopes and we didn't need mirrors. Pay close attention to the passengers side bank. Obviously water had sat in the motor for a period of time.

The cylinders looked GREAT in the car when we first looked at them, just like your pics show. But with a good camera there was no missing the pitting. I'm not talking about the occasional spot here and there. There were lines of adjoining pits in those cylinders. BOTH shops recommended sleeving that engine. And my guess is the basement builder just skipped it. Call Bob Mason at Mason's Racing Engines and ask him, he can tell you exactly where the pitting was located.

Good luck with it either way. As others here have stated.....Even IF you need to sleeve that engine or just re-ring it...You got a great deal on a super sweet car and there's no way you can lose regardless of what happens in that motor.

Enjoy the car!!

Last edited by fdjake; 08-29-2013 at 05:42 PM..
Old 08-29-2013, 05:42 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjake View Post
Looks just like it did when it left ERA after THEY replaced the intake gaskets!!! But it still used 1 qt of oil every 150 miles.

Those pictures you posted of the cylinders are dark....Get another scope down there. You can't miss it....2 separate shops found the pitting. BOTH using a Snap-on bore scopes and we didn't need mirrors.

The cylinders looked GREAT in the car when we first looked at them, just like your pics show. But with a good camera there was no missing the pitting. I'm not talking about the occasional spot here and there. There were lines of adjoining pits in those cylinders. Both shops recommended sleeving that engine. And my guess is the basement builder just skipped it.

Good luck with it either way.
Me thinks thou protests too much, perhaps thinking you left too much on the table on regards to value (I did not buy it with resale in mind by the way).

The pictures are dark because we have no external video feed off the screen and I took the shots of the screen with my Iphone. Cylinder walls, top to bottom are beautiful, cross hatching and all. Bit since you want to continue to insist otherwise, I'll put my money where my mouth is on that physical attribute. I'll pay for Rick Lake to come inspect the engine. if it turns out it is as I state above, you then foot his travel bill. Can't thow down an easier gauntlet for you to prove me wrong, now can I.

As for oil consumption due to a potential set of faulty piston rings, as I stated before, that will come with driving it. Again, sorry, there is no pitting on the cylinder walls (the mirror used was to see the condition of the valves, my engine guy insisted on looking at them before deciding to pull the heads or not), sorry to break that one to you in black and white, over and over again.

Bill S.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Or......You can simply call BOB MASON.....Remember YOU asked me for his number? I take it you haven't made that call???

Me thinks you wanted to look like you got a better deal than you did!!!!

I could have posted the same pictures YOU did of those cylinders when I sold the car..There was no shortage of nice clean cylinder wall area to see.....But there's more in there and it ain't pretty.

Good Luck with it Bill.

I know what's in that motor, Bob Mason knows what's in that motor, and that's good enough for me.

As for thinking I left money on the table??? You have a short memory Bill. As you know, I had multiple offers OVER what you paid me for that car....All of them made before your check arrived. I could have easily dropped your check into an envelope and sent it right back to you and taken one of the other offers....But I don't play that game. It was NEVER about money Bill....Just about being straight with people. Like I'm doing NOW!

Last edited by fdjake; 08-29-2013 at 06:16 PM..
Old 08-29-2013, 06:10 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjake View Post
Or......You can simply call BOB MASON.....Remember YOU asked me for his number? I take it you haven't made that call???

Me thinks you wanted to look like you got a better deal than you did!!!!

I could have posted the same pictures YOU did of those cylinders when I sold the car..There was no shortage of nice clean cylinder wall area to see.....But there's more in there and it ain't pretty.

Good Luck with it Bill.

I know what's in that motor, Bob Mason knows what's in that motor, and that's good enough for me.
I got a good deal regardless of the motor, that is clear to those that know these cars. I have not made any calls as I prefer a hands on approach to everything I own. I also offer everything I know and i find right out of the gate. Good, bad, or otherwise. I make no excuses with what I run across, post pictures when I can to back it up. You have your expert, I have mine. Only difference is, my story does not change with each and every edit of posts in this thread. LOL

Bill S

Old 08-29-2013, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've had ONE STORY since DAY ONE on this car. You wanted to tell people you fixed it first with:

A PCV system!!!!

Then it was the new INTAKE GASKETS!!!! (after the guys at ERA mislead me)

Now the Pitting has disappeared and all is well!

And you're the guy who told me he has bought and SOLD 24 COBRAS over the years.....

Bill.....Please...We ALL know what's going to happen with this car eventually. And that's GREAT!!! Especially when you can erase cylinder pitting with new intake GASKETS!!!!!

I hope you make some money on the car Bill.

Last edited by fdjake; 08-29-2013 at 07:13 PM..
Old 08-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

"When you believe in something, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionably" Walt Disney
Old 08-29-2013, 09:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 289 FIA #2112
Not Ranked     

Listened to the video...Sounds kinda quiet to me. Are these the loud pipes or the quiet pipes?
Old 08-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

This is entertaining. Even for a non-FE FE 428 of all things.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:02 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Yes, I love a thread that flares up without me even having to throw gas on it first. But if Bill does have Rick drive it for 500 miles, I think that would be the true test. And Rick's not about to fudge the answer, either.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
Holy sheet eveyone needs to chill. I would never have any heartburn buying a car from mrmustang, if he says it does or does not use oil or does or does not have a problem he is a straightforward guy and has to be since he publihses on these forumns and sells his share of cars.
Neither would I...what does concern me though is what he does in the passenger seat with his sometime co-pilot, Jamettahhhhh....

Old 08-30-2013, 05:29 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcalan View Post
Listened to the video...Sounds kinda quiet to me. Are these the loud pipes or the quiet pipes?
Marc,

You are just jealous of how good the car sounds compared to that dust covered, unloved SMALL BLOCK FIA you have sitting in the garage

I'll be around Sunday and Monday (yes, change of plans brought us back to PA a week early instead of being at the MCA Grand Nationals in Disney) if you want help with the 67 Mustang or the FIA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Rodney,

Sadly, yes, due to my lack of sleep last night (left Clearwater at 1pm Tuesday, arrived here 8:30am yesterday and was non stop all day after that until my last on this thread last night) I delved back in to my earlier online persona of "King of the Hill" and posted in a way that this morning I am embarrassed about.

To Pete Angilly (fdjacke),

I've already stated that if I am wrong, I am wrong, yet my personal inspection, and that of my main FE engine guru, his staff, along with several friends within the automotive field have viewed the motor top to bottom as best as possible while it remains in the car. I have posted their findings along with my own not as an attack on you or your engine builder/mechanic, nor on ERA as the car left their place back in September of 2012, and I purchased it in June 2013 (having picked up the car on June 25th, 2013). I started this thread as several members of this forum and others wanted to know what I found and my progress in getting the car back together and on the road. I can see why you might be as angry (frustrated is perhaps a better word) as you are, I would feel the same way if the shoe was on the other foot (so to speak). However, if anything, I thought you would be pleased as to the progress and happy to hear that all was not as bad as it appeared. Sadly that is not the case as your continued posts show. I'll leave it at that, hope you are man enough to do the same.

To everyone else,

I humbly apologize that you have had to wade through the informative posts and the bullcr*p that followed. It was not my intention when I started this thread to do anything but document what I found when we started diving into the engine and suspension issues (suspension will most likely be a worn bushing). To date I have done just that and documented everything to the best of my ability, good, bad, ugly and everything in between. Pictures where I could get them, a description of what was found when we could not, or a combination of both.

Bottom line now that we are back on topic, did I find and repair issues, yes. Is there any blow by at the moment, no. Did I fix the oil consumption issue, that remains to be seen, but I will accurately report my findings back on this thread once I have had time to put mileage on the car in the next few weeks.

Have a great holiday weekend.

Bill S.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Shut the fuk up everyone. Mrmustaang continue to post findings as you get them as my next one will have a BB and the data would be good comparison.
dcdoug likes this.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:52 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMahon View Post
Neither would I...what does concern me though is what he does in the passenger seat with his sometime co-pilot, Jamettahhhhh....
JM,

You are a bbbbbbaaaaaaaddddddddddd man

Bill S.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Phew..!.........
Old 08-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Yes, I love a thread that flares up without me even having to throw gas on it first. But if Bill does have Rick drive it for 500 miles, I think that would be the true test. And Rick's not about to fudge the answer, either.
I'd offer to drive it until it uses a quart of oil, but by the time the car would need a quart, we'll all be traveling via Elon Musk's Hyperloop:

Hyperloop train plans unveiled by PayPal founder Elon Musk - video | Technology | theguardian.com
Old 08-31-2013, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
JM,

You are a bbbbbbaaaaaaaddddddddddd man

Bill S.
That I am, dear sir!

Sounds like you got quite a deal on this car judging from your FE guys analysis. Wow...a set of gaskets?

Now you need to get Don/Cheeks (McFez) blessing. He is the FE guru and an ERA guy! Would love to see this car!

JM
Old 08-31-2013, 06:02 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMahon View Post
That I am, dear sir!

Sounds like you got quite a deal on this car judging from your FE guys analysis. Wow...a set of gaskets?

Now you need to get Don/Cheeks (McFez) blessing. He is the FE guru and an ERA guy! Would love to see this car!

JM
Some time in the fall I'm going to bring the car up to Bruce's in Rockaway (picked up a 14" drop base and extreme filter top when there yesterday), he just upgraded his video scope to the new BK8000 from Snap On. He graciously volunteered to put the question of cylinder bore condition to rest once and for all. I'll post those files once I have them. Maybe I can get "DonDon" to meet me there seeing it is the half way point between his palatial estate and my coal mine

In the mean time, I'm hoping to carve out a day next week to put some mileage on the car and see what our consumption is like, you are more than welcome to join me, and yes, I already know, I'll have to come pick you up.....At least you won't have to wear a parka like the last time .....If not, I'll report that here as well, regardless of outcome (good, bad, or ugly).

Have a great holiday weekend.

Bill S.

Last edited by mrmustang; 08-31-2013 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: spelling
Closed Thread