Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2015, 10:18 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2;1****52
Sure, I haven't ordered any yet but found some "Universal" spanner bars at Summit.
Rubber gaskets, a light film of Open Gear Grease, and torque to about 7 ft/lbs and you will reduce your leaking/weeping down to virtually nothing.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
No ERA here, but here's my list:
  1. Install PowerTrax No-Slip differential
  2. Replace rear main seal
  3. Install Wilwood 4 piston front disk brakes
  4. Install remote reservoirs for brake and clutch fluid
  5. Install Canton road racing pan (possible, not yet committeed to this)
  6. Replace bottom hinged accelerator pedal and push cable with top hinged pedal and pull cable
  7. Install 9" K&N X-Stream air cleaner
  8. Install 5 degree carburetor wedge plate
  9. Replace hood pins and trunk latch with keyed-alike locking hood latches and trunk latch
  10. New gas tank - more capacity and better filler
  11. New sealed battery box in trunk
  12. Replace rear view mirror with more period correct mirror
Some of you are apparently anticipating a lot longer winter than I'm hoping for.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2;1****52
Sure, I haven't ordered any yet but found some "Universal" spanner bars at Summit.
Thanks I will have to check it out
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Old 01-02-2015, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Have a ton of stuff to do but the absolute must do things are:
New Canton RR oil pan and wind-age tray. Also do the new dipstick setup for the pass side(all purchased 2 years ago).
R&R rear pinion seal.
While the interior and tunnel is out for the pinion seal I may attempt installing crotch belts and relocation my pedal 3 inches towards the driver.
Total grease job whole car.
Total re-torque on everything on motor.
Detail car along with a few chip touch ups
After that is about 30 things I would like to do that the parts are all sitting on the shelf waiting for me to have time or motivation to do including the wheel house vents I just purchase at the ERA holiday open house on Dec 25.
I am so overwhelmed, cant wait to retire!!!
Old 01-02-2015, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Pull the valve covers, eyeball everything, look for something obviously loose or out of place, replace the gaskets (I use Open Gear Grease on them -- do a search on here to see specifics), and knock off early. No retorquing today.
OK, I searched the whole club cobra forum and could not find anything about open gear grease except your two posts in this thread . Would any type of grease work? Also, are you using cork gaskets? EDIT: I just saw you mentioned rubber gaskets
Old 01-02-2015, 05:16 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
OK, I searched the whole club cobra forum and could not find anything about open gear grease except your two posts in this thread . Would any type of grease work? Also, are you using cork gaskets? EDIT: I just saw you mentioned rubber gaskets
Open Gear grease is used out in the fields on large, open gears that have to endure weather, heat, moisture, etc. You don't have to use the exact brand I use, just Google "Open Gear Lube" and you'll see there are various brands. The beauty of it is that once you put it down, it won't harden, it won't melt, it won't run, it won't be affected by oil, it just sits there -- and makes a beautiful seal for your valve covers. Plain old axle grease is good, but Open Gear grease is two steps past it. It will be exactly the same five years and 50,000 miles from now as it is today. Just don't get it on your skin and don't breathe the vapors.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:25 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A quick Google and this stuff looks good: Open Gear Lubricants | Lubrication Engineers Whatever you buy, just make sure you get the grease, not a spray on lubricant from a spray can. You want to be able to dip your gloved finger in and smear it along the flat edge between the gasket and cover and head.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC;1****61
Some of you are apparently anticipating a lot longer winter than I'm hoping for.
I live in Saskatchewan, Canada, where winters are long and cold - very cold. The Cobra was last driven November 1, and probably won't turn a wheel again until late April or early May.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile winter in Alabama

New Year even about 1:00 pm a buddy of mine drove his Cobra from Florence Alabama to South Pittsburg Tenn. A 3 hour drive to spend the weekend with his girlfriend.

It was 47 degrees when I was talking to him on his cell. Hooded Carhart jacket and no heater.

Tough guy?

Dwight
Old 01-03-2015, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

On retorquing heads....

They don't need to be torqued after leaving my shop. However, I always retorque them a little while after first installation. You'd be surprised on how much the fasteners stretch and the gaskets compress.

I do ask all my customers to go over everything else after some miles are on the engine.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
A quick Google and this stuff looks good: Open Gear Lubricants | Lubrication Engineers Whatever you buy, just make sure you get the grease, not a spray on lubricant from a spray can. You want to be able to dip your gloved finger in and smear it along the flat edge between the gasket and cover and head.
very nice explanation...thanks

just searched around, seems very expensive and all I would want/need would be around a pint, not a 5 gallon pail

Last edited by davids2toys; 01-03-2015 at 11:11 AM..
Old 01-03-2015, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: North American Fiberglass, 302
Not Ranked     

Install New Front Brake Calipers and Pads
Old 01-06-2015, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I called Kaymen today, how about this, MOLYKOTEŽ 1122 CHAIN AND OPEN GEAR GREASE?
I can get an 11oz tub for 20.00. I read things about heat and formaldehyde poisoning??? This may also be synthetic

What would be wrong with a spray can if you were to spray it into a cap then dip your fingers into the cap and take what you need?
Old 01-06-2015, 05:51 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I called Kaymen today, how about this, MOLYKOTEŽ 1122 CHAIN AND OPEN GEAR GREASE?
I can get an 11oz tub for 20.00. I read things about heat and formaldehyde poisoning??? This may also be synthetic

What would be wrong with a spray can if you were to spray it into a cap then dip your fingers into the cap and take what you need?
1122 is what I use, but it looks like they've changed the packaging a bit. Unfortunately, most stuff that really works well is replete with dire warnings. Although when my kids were particularly noisy, I would just open the tub and wave it under their noses and they would nap peacefully for most of the day. When you dip your gloved finger in to the 1122 stuff, it's like dipping in to wet mud. It never hardens, it never runs, it never melts (unless you go over 600 degrees); it just sits there and keeps a nice seal. I don't think a spray would work as well because I just don't know how it would come out of that little spray hole to begin with.

Here's my older 1122 stuff:
Old 01-06-2015, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds good Patrick, I will order some. I think 11oz will last the rest of my life...LOL

I hear you on the works great but not good for you. For years I washed multiple times daily in MEK and Triclor...GOOD STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for the advice
Old 01-19-2015, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well it came and it turned out to be a spray can...UGH. I specifically told them I did not want an aerosol. I actually sprayed a little into a cup to see if the consistancy would stiffen as it was exposed to air. No it did not, pretty loose and I could wipe it off with a cloth pretty easily. It had the consistancy of some moly grease I have in a tube. I am giving this back and I might use the moly grease I already have.
What do you think Patick?
Old 01-19-2015, 09:28 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well it came and it turned out to be a spray can...UGH. I specifically told them I did not want an aerosol. I actually sprayed a little into a cup to see if the consistency would stiffen as it was exposed to air. No it did not, pretty loose and I could wipe it off with a cloth pretty easily. It had the consistency of some moly grease I have in a tube. I am giving this back and I might use the moly grease I already have.
What do you think Patrick?
I wouldn't use it. Go with the moly grease that you have, and if you find that you have leaks around the gaskets and covers that drive you nuts, then we'll go on a hunt for the good stuff.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Patrick,
I found it in a 14oz tube today. They want 47.00 plus shipping, seems ridiculous to me!