Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2016, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtwallace View Post
Craft Racing seems pretty reputable?
Yes - good ole boy Arkansans which is why they got my vote. Also would give a vote to Brent (Blykins).
Old 06-24-2016, 02:21 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Yes - good ole boy Arkansans which is why they got my vote. Also would give a vote to Brent (Blykins).
With a recent change in ownership. Keith is no longer associated with the builds (which may be good, or bad, depending on your point of view), but the little that I've heard on the new owner has been positive.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

If you were willing to give the Left Coast a chance, Tom Lucas of FE Specialties in Sacramento, CA built a few engines here on CC, including mine. He also built rodneym's twin Paxton FE engine as well as a SBF 302 for a tkb289's 289 ERA. We're all happy.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Anyone heard of these guys?

BBM Aluminum FE Engine Block (FE427 Side Oiler) | Bear Block Motors
Old 06-25-2016, 12:15 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I have no experience with them but I went through their entire site. A quite impressive operation and facility for sure! Seem fairly new to the game, but that could be a good thing. I would be curious on other member's feedback as well. I know we have members here that are right in their backyard in Chatsworth, CA.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:07 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

They have gotten generally good reports. At the moment, they are slightly backed up on orders. There was a very recent thread on that exact point (in the last week or so) on 332-428 Ford FE Engine Forum . What you should probably just do is cut a check to one of the reputable builders that we have discussed and ask him to find you a quality iron block. Regular FE builders have avenues to obtain blocks that the rest of us don't. But they can't always "perform on demand." It could take weeks/months to land just the right block. Then let them do the build for you.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:13 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Yup. I know Brent for one was commissioned to build an old school 427 recently and charged with finding everything including a good block, which he did.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

double post

Last edited by DanEC; 06-25-2016 at 02:30 PM..
Old 06-25-2016, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes - I think the builders usually have avenues to engine parts that most of us don't. Guys with blocks sitting in their basement need a little cash and seek guys like Craft Engines out. When I went to talk to Keith Craft to build an engine he had most everything I needed sitting their - an original bore 428 service block (I think he went a .010 cleanup) and a set of 1961 390 Hi Po heads that he had been working over (porting/polishing/OS valves) himself for therapy or hobby or something.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
They have gotten generally good reports. At the moment, they are slightly backed up on orders. There was a very recent thread on that exact point (in the last week or so) on 332-428 Ford FE Engine Forum . What you should probably just do is cut a check to one of the reputable builders that we have discussed and ask him to find you a quality iron block. Regular FE builders have avenues to obtain blocks that the rest of us don't. But they can't always "perform on demand." It could take weeks/months to land just the right block. Then let them do the build for you.
Right, im in no rush. Im just asking questions. I think i have already said, i know when to defer to the pros, and in the case of building a motor, especially if i go the 427 / 428 route, i will definitely defer to the guys who do that everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Yes - I think the builders usually have avenues to engine parts that most of us don't. Guys with blocks sitting in their basement need a little cash and seek guys like Craft Engines out. When I went to talk to Keith Craft to build an engine he had most everything I needed sitting their - an original bore 428 service block (I think he went a .010 cleanup) and a set of 1961 390 Hi Po heads that he had been working over (porting/polishing/OS valves) himself for therapy or hobby or something.
Yup, goes without saying. Its their business, therefore they have various sources and methods. Of course i could stumble onto something accidentally, but the chances of that happening are slim.

Most people who have an old 427 or 428 block or motor know exactly what they have, even if its a marine or irrigation model, they know what they have, and price it accordingly.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Okay, looking for some feedback or direction toward a thread that has discussed this topic, as I am sure this is not the first time its been asked.

Other than weight savings and cooling efficiency what are the benefits of an aluminum block over a Iron block or vice versa?

From my limited research I see, a slight leaning toward Iron?
Old 06-27-2016, 10:47 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Okay, looking for some feedback or direction toward a thread that has discussed this topic, as I am sure this is not the first time its been asked.

Other than weight savings and cooling efficiency what are the benefits of an aluminum block over a Iron block or vice versa?

I remembered this thread: Ford FE -- All you with aluminum blocks from when I was spec'ing out my engine in 2005 and exploring the aluminum versus iron thing. Note the names of the contributors and pay particular attention to the valve lash discussions. That's probably the most interesting aspect of the debate.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

Let's not forget Survival Motorsports: Survival Motorsports Home Page

My Engine Is Almost Famous
Old 06-27-2016, 11:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Sorry, but could you should be more specific about "iron block." Vintage or new iron blocks? New is new and old is, well, old.

The new iron blocks can be bored out to larger cubic inch displacement(s) than old iron blocks. And in theory, new production manufacturing technologies produce higher quality blocks. However, as you can see with Brent's comments about a shortage of blocks now, finding foundries to produce new blocks is difficult.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:43 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Sorry, but could you should be more specific about "iron block." Vintage or new iron blocks? New is new and old is, well, old.

The new iron blocks can be bored out to larger cubic inch displacement(s) than old iron blocks. And in theory, new production manufacturing technologies produce higher quality blocks. However, as you can see with Brent's comments about a shortage of blocks now, finding foundries to produce new blocks is difficult.
You know what they say, everything old is new again. You know -- When trumpets were mellow ... And every gal only had one fellow....
Old 06-27-2016, 11:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
You know what they say, everything old is new again. You know -- When trumpets were mellow ... And every gal only had one fellow....
Sometimes I just have to shake my head in amazement of how you connect the dots inside that brain of yours.

I save everyone from having to google that nonsense. It's song lyrics by Peter Allen, but no one cares.

Something a little more modern for you.

"I have these thoughts
So often I ought
To replace that slot
With what I once bought
'Cause somebody stole
My car radio
And now I just sit in silence."
Old 06-27-2016, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post

ah, sorry, im basically talking newly cast IB
Old 06-27-2016, 01:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Generally speaking, the new iron blocks will also have more meat so that they can bored larger than the aluminum blocks.

And some might say that the mating of the iron block/aluminum head combo might/could have some sort of chemical bonding issues.

Ultimately, for me in any case, it's all about the weight savings, which is roughly about 100-125 lbs on the front of the car.

Others will correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 427cobra stroked 427fe
Not Ranked     

Will if you are heading to ERA any time soon, let me knowI am a short distance off of rt 95 in Maryland. We could meet and you could check out my ERA. Nothing beats listening to and experiencing a high hp FE.
Bob
Old 06-28-2016, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by era556 View Post
Will if you are heading to ERA any time soon, let me knowI am a short distance off of rt 95 in Maryland. We could meet and you could check out my ERA. Nothing beats listening to and experiencing a high hp FE.
Bob
I don't know if this qualifies as soon, but I will be there August 5th and 6th.

hmm, maybe I shouldn't post that on the internet???? Too late