Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2004, 03:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 377 - 428SCJ
Not Ranked     
Default ERA 377

I sure am getting a lot of support and especially for the 428. This whole experience is so interesting, and the people I have met either personally or via email and phone without exception have been generous and thoughtful with their time and experience.

I have not tried to negotiate a price on either car as I really want to choose the car that will best satisfy my personal "itch" before getting into that aspect of the purchase. Of course $$ always becomes a factor in a decision of this type, but I don't want it to influence my preference at this point.
428SCJ
Old 01-29-2004, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

Hoppy: Note *'s beside corrections in my previous reply. I meant to say 428 in both instances.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 01-29-2004, 03:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by speed220mph

Hoppy: Note *'s beside corrections in my previous reply. I meant to say 428 in both instances.
I thought that was either a typo, you were losing your mind or my reading comprehension skills were shot! Glad it was a typo

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 01-29-2004, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

Yup, My ERA is a 428 (bored .030" over) too. Sidewinder 427-4V aluminum manifold, and has been rear wheel Dyno'ed, on the car at 423HP at 5400RPM with a nearly flat torque line at 435-455 from 2900 to 5100. I have the Comp Cams 33-230-4 High Energy Camshafts with Dove Rocker Support End Stands, Comp Cams 926-16 Triple Valve Springs and Crane Dual Stage Hydro Valve Lifters with a Holley 4871 850 CFM double pumper. The heads are Ford C8AE-J's with custom porting and oversized valves 2.09 intake and 1.75 exhaust. This engine was built by DCE back in 1992 and is dry and strong.

Net net of all this is a real powerful engine with more horsepower and torque than I ever can use. The 3.31 rear gears coupled with the Toploader make for a very fast Cobra.

But, then again, there is that school of thought that says, "Too much is never enough".

In that vein, Sal's new ERA 427 S/C (which is being built now at ERA) has a Beee-utiful Keith Kraft 427SO with the block being a Shelby aluminum block. I bet this baby will put out well over 500HP at the rear wheels, and perhaps much more.

One of the great things about the Cobra Replicas is, that you as the builder or buyer can get what you want to power your hotrod. Ya gotta love that about these cars. Right?!

Also, over time, you can pull engines and replace them with what every you want. The nice 428 as I described above will always be welcome by someone down the line I bet.

So, I think that finding a nice chasis and running gear is the first step. Engines can come and go or be modified to do whatever you want them to be or become.

You gotta love this!

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 02-10-2004, 09:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default ERA 377

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on this deal. I bought 377 yesterday from Gary and I am so excited it's just unbelievable. My son and I went to Phoenix Sunday to look at another ERA that has a 427SO with a stroker to 484. Wow, I have never experienced power/weight like that in a car. Ultimately decided on 377 with the 428SCJ. I have a had time believing that it will be underpowered. Anyway, Mike Lefevrers told me not to worry, there is lots more power available if required, but even he thought this would hold my interest for some time.
Thanks to everyone that contributed their experience. I am proud to now be amongst you.
Have to go to Asia on Biz Sunday for a couple of weeks, but I should have the car delivered about the time I come back.
428SCJ
Old 02-10-2004, 09:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hoppy - congratulations! As someone in almost your exact situation (see my recent posting - WOW! Did my garage change...about my ERA 601 purchase), let me try to put your mind at ease a bit about the 428.

If you read some of the original history, yes, the 427 produced more HP, BUT, this was a race designed/developed motor - it developed it's HP at much higher RPM's - the general consensus was (and is) the 390/428 was much more practical motor for street use - insofar as it developed more low end torque
(= speed off the line) than the 427, which is much more usable/practical in a street car situation.

Hi banks at Daytona - go with the 427. Street car ooomph...go with the 428.

Just mho

Enjoyment may be 9/10's anticipation, but that last 10% is oh so sweet....
Old 02-11-2004, 12:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Re: ERA 377

Quote:
Originally posted by hoppy

...Ultimately decided on 377 with the 428SCJ. I have a had time believing that it will be underpowered....
Hoppy,
If the 428SCJ is built right, it should make your wheels spin and wheel-hoppy like crazy in that ERA. More power just seems makes it worse... I've found that anything more than 500HP/Torque tends to be a bit of a waste in a Jag-rear live axle Cobra with today's lame 15" street tires. In fact, I just finished a prototype watts type absorber kit for the ERA Jag rear setup to see what can be done to keep the tires planted... You'll find the 428SCJ can spin tires and do the job easily. If I built another one, I'd probably drop a bit on HP and torque next time just for extra driveability and smooth control... Congratulations on your purchase and enjoy!

Last edited by decooney; 02-11-2004 at 12:28 AM..
Old 02-11-2004, 06:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default ERA 377

Duane, Thanks for your input and support both on and off line over the last couple of months. It is guys like yourself that gave me the confidence to stay with my homework, focus on the correct target (ERA) and have the courage to exceed both bugetary as well as family limits/promises.
I sure hope that once I get my wife's seat in the seat she will have a little better understanding of what is happening.

Since you are a CA guy yourself, I am sure we will find a chance to put our cars together in the near future.

Thanks again
Terry
428SCJ
Old 02-11-2004, 07:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Terry.
Congratulations and welcome to the brotherhood. In a few hours I'll be taking mine down the the BAR so with any luck we should be able to go on a cruise before long. Oh, and don't worry, I'm sure your Son will keep the battery charged should 377 make it home before you do.
Steve
Old 02-11-2004, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

Terry:
Hey, that is great news. I have #375, just a few numbers in front of yours. Let me know if you have any questions, I do not know answers to all but probably have some latent knowledge on most aspects of the car.

When will the car arrive in CA?

Cheers,

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 02-11-2004, 11:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default ERA 377

Hi Art,
Thanks for the offer. I think the car will arrive around the first of March. I am leaving Sunday till about the 27th or 28th so that should be ok.
I plan to spend Valentine's day letting my wife help me make room in the garage for the new car. Pretty romantic, don't you think.

Terry
428SCJ
Old 02-11-2004, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the ERA family.

Going a "little" over budget is the only way to go... after all if you don't have to stretch for something, where's the challenge. ...and where is "full disclosure" set forth in the standard marriage vows?

Jim
Old 02-11-2004, 05:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default ERA 377

Jim, you are so right about reaching for the stars. It keeps even us old farts feeling young and vital.
Judging from your list of toys, you have worked out any reservations you may have had about the issue.

You are never too old to have a happy childhood.

Terry
428SCJ
Old 02-11-2004, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC with 428 PI
Not Ranked     

Everyone goes over budget. It's half of experience in owning a cobra. Don't worry about the 428, it will get you going

It's just easier this way.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Hoppy:

I guess I have been chasing my motormania dreams and fantasies a long time. I have been fortunate that my wife of almost 30 years understood from day one that this was part of the package that she was taking on. Perhaps it was the fact that years ago, when we were first dating I owned (one of several) Lotus Europas. Often the car was dead (Lucas!) when we went to get in to it to start out on a date. Inasmuch as she couldn't reach the pedals, she (all of about 105 lbs) pushed as we jump-started our way out of the parking lot. Thus, the existence of some automotive work in progress has been a constant in our lives for almost three decades.

This past year I finally got around to building my dream garage. Nothing fancy, just a 30x36 metal building... but she knows that it's my sanctuary and always knocks and seeks permission to enter. The balance is that I have always been there for her and that is as it should be. I count myself extraordinarily lucky to have found a partner in life that understands. Unlike many spouses, she is not jealous of, nor threatened by this passion of mine. My only regret is that she won't ride in the FIA; too noisy, too windy and "everyone is looking at you." So, she drives the chase car.

My wish for anyone who pursues an interest such as ours is that his or her spouse comes to understand and support the dream.

Jim

PS: Both of my big block cars were 428s (one a 428CJ). I took a friend for a ride once and when we got back he said, "Ya know Jim, I haven't felt acceleration like that since I got shot off the carriers in the 50's when I was in the Navy." On the street, 428s are the way to go.

Last edited by Jim Holden; 02-12-2004 at 07:26 AM..
Old 02-11-2004, 07:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default ERA 377

Great story Jim,
Mine really not too different. Married 24 years to an excellent partner. I've been a fuel waster my whole life and while she doesn't feel it, she does accommodate it. This time the ante was quite a bit larger than ever and being the fiscally conservative person she is, she had to bite her tongue a little when I asked her to wire the $$ to Gary, but she did it and gave me a kiss to boot. I have a 16 year old son that I love to share my stuff with and I think it boosts the thrill all the more. We built him a very nice Vette in time for his 16th and while a lot of guys at his school have $40-$60,000 "*****in" cars, he knows his is the coolest in the lot. God I hope I never grow up.
Terry
428SCJ
Old 02-12-2004, 12:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Hoppy/Terry,

You are welcome Terry. Not a problem, its fun for many of us to see others get excited; and its especially neat to see others do the research and step up to the plate and go for it - pushing the limits so to speak.

IMHO, when you buy a nice quality replica Cobra it only makes it even more exciting to own and drive. I've watched several Cobra purchase scenarios play out with friends over the last 10 years or so.... Some went for less and others went for broke right out of the gate (taking 2nds, borrowing, risking whatever to do it)... All of the ones that stretched a bit and bought the nicer cars seem to still really be thrilled. The others that went for less than what they really wanted ended up investing 10-15K more into their cars later on anyhow only to find out they could have probably just bought the nicer ones to begin with. In all cases I've seen, these things turn out to be more than just a car, and the people you meet because of it is unparalleled. Good Luck, Be Safe, and have fun!

Post some pics when you can.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default ERA 377

You know Duane, the past year or so that I have seriously been considering a Cobra over another Vette has been incredibly interesting. All of the searches, groups, ebay, visits to Kirkham, Pittsburgh, Newberry Park and Phoenix introduced me to very interesting and accomplished people as well as educated me beyond all expectations. A year or a year and a half ago I was sure that I could "take care of my Cobra Itch" for $25-$30K. Boy did the cost of education go up. I came to realize the many choices and differences between the various availble cars and ultimately knew that I was not going to be satisfied with:
Anything not looking very original
A small block
A straight axel
A donor car type
Etc.
That realization also took me way up the $$ ladder and into a discomfort zone (especially for my wife). I am now comfortable with the investment and believe that even if the worst occured and I was forced to giveup the car, my loss if any would be small.
You know that from early on you gave me excellent advice via private mail regarding how to evaluate a purchase and were very instrumental in moving me up to where I have now arrived.
Thanks very much for your interest in my education.
428SCJ
Old 02-12-2004, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     
Default ERA 409

Hoppy: I imagine by now you've gotten familiar with ERA 377 and you're more than pleased with your purchase. I haven't heard of anyone not being pleased with their ERA.

I was fortunate enough to buy ERA 409 on eBay 1-1/2 years ago. The Lord must've intended for me to have it. The car was built by ERA in '97 as a show car. It only had 1150 miles on it when I picked it up. Caution: Be careful that you don't spend too much time in the garage bonding with your new purchase. I can attest to the fact that it can be habit forming.

Here I am bonding with mine:

Let's see a picture of your car.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue

Last edited by speed220mph; 02-12-2004 at 06:38 AM..
Old 02-12-2004, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Hoppy,
Welcome to the ERA family.
I personally have heard/seen Duanes 428 and a 428 built right will be more than enuff.