Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 03:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to pavulon
Not Ranked     
Default What would you do?

All,

For the past 6-7 months I've been having a terrible time with completing a refund from a manufacturer (I'm owed $5,000). Prior to this, I had always been a strong advocate of this manufacturer in the several forums in which I participate.

However, after agreeing to terms for the refund, I've been repeatedly ignored, had deadlines missed (by months), and have been simply lied to. I've spoken to more than one person inside the company and was not afforded the courtesy of a reply. I'm approaching the end of my rope.

What would you do?

Scott
Old 09-06-2007, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 695HP aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

Hey Scott,

I am not sure the best way to handle this but a similar thing happened to me regarding the purchase & return of a turbocharger. After not getting my money back, I found out the company filed bankruptcy and I did not have enough documentation to pursue it.

I guess the first step is to make sure you have copies of all invoices, correspondence, and hopefully proof of the returned product or their debt to you. I would write a finally letter and copy their local better business bureau and maybe chamber of commerce, etc.

If you don't get a response after this, copy it all and forward to the State's Attorney's Office. Obviously getting your attorney involved would not work out financially, as when it is all said and done you would probably be upside down in the deal.

Best of luck,

Jack
Old 09-06-2007, 05:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Scott,

You have provided not much information on your situation and terms of your refund. Hard to give you advice other than to continue to call Peter P. at ERA.

Peter does not have a malice bone in his body and I would find it hard to believe that his intention is not to follow his word. That said since you mention terms it sounds as if there are potentially items or actions needed on your end. Was the build of the car started?

Jamie
Old 09-06-2007, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jack: Thanks so much for your advice.
I've no insight into the manufacturer's finances but would hope for everyone that there are no concerns at that level. I did not find anything of concern regarding their product before I put my money down and am unaware of quality issues that may impact their viability. I believe that this manufacturer continues to make a very good product and still hope to own something from them some day. As for the BBB and AG...I hope that it does not come to that but who knows. I will say that I never expected the treatment I've been receiving either. Mind you, people have not been overtly rude to me but there have been many promises made and not kept and even more phone calls not returned.

Jamie: Thank you for taking time to reply to my situation.
I've not named names and am very reluctant to do so. I will say that I have not left anything needing attention on my end and all the parties agreed to the terms of the refund....for which I am grateful. However, talk is cheap and each time I was asked for money, I provided it. It is a straight forward refund of deposit.

Thanks again.
Scott
Old 09-06-2007, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

pavulon:

I would ever so gently suggest that taking your issue with whomever onto the Internet will probably be counterproductive. Your protestation to the contrary notwithstanding, it's interesting that you chose to post this thread here.

Jim
Old 09-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

Registered letter from you.
Registered letter from your attorney.
Follow up call from your attorney clarifying your intentions.

You must remain resolute and unrelenting if indeed you are in the right.
They want you to throw your hands up and go away.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavulon
Jack: Thanks so much for your advice.
I've no insight into the manufacturer's finances but would hope for everyone that there are no concerns at that level. I did not find anything of concern regarding their product before I put my money down and am unaware of quality issues that may impact their viability. I believe that this manufacturer continues to make a very good product and still hope to own something from them some day. As for the BBB and AG...I hope that it does not come to that but who knows. I will say that I never expected the treatment I've been receiving either. Mind you, people have not been overtly rude to me but there have been many promises made and not kept and even more phone calls not returned.

Jamie: Thank you for taking time to reply to my situation.
I've not named names and am very reluctant to do so. I will say that I have not left anything needing attention on my end and all the parties agreed to the terms of the refund....for which I am grateful. However, talk is cheap and each time I was asked for money, I provided it. It is a straight forward refund of deposit.

Thanks again.
Scott
The fact that you've not named names is immaterial, and IMHO, chickens**t. By posting here you've implicated everybody at ERA! My more than two year relationship with ERA has been nothing but positive experiences. The support that I've seen them provide not only owners who bought ERA cars from ERA but also those that purchased them second hand (as well as many individuals who own other mfgs cars) only leads me to believe that the problem must be on your end. There has been alot left out of this "story" and as always that makes it easy to slant it.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #698 428 Toploader
Not Ranked     

I cant say I blame you for posting here if what you say is true. Bob should reply and it will be interesting to hear the other side to the story. However, it will be very hard to find ERA owners here with anything bad to say about the company or the people involved, myself included. I had no problems before, during, or after my build. Good luck to you.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks to all that have replied. I am no more satisfied by writing this here than you are reading it here. I've not left things undone. I'm happy that many have had great service. You should defend great service. Call my actions chicken**** if you want. It means nothing to me and I've nothing to hide. I've not lied or slanted the issue in the least. I'd gladly retract anything I've written that is misleading as I've nothing to gain by misrepresenting the facts. I'm all ears.
Scott
Old 09-07-2007, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Sorry, but I'm not going to get involved in this since I haven't been privy to what has gone before.

One thing that I can tell you is that our bookkeeper quit, basically without notice, and we're struggling to get a handle on where the money is or isn't. Peter and I managed to "keep out" of areas that seemed outside the direct operation of the business, but she dealt with all of it. It's like being thrown into the deep end of the pool.

Last edited by strictlypersonl; 09-19-2007 at 04:13 AM..
Old 09-07-2007, 08:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: n/a
Send a message via Yahoo to imagine2frolic
Not Ranked     

I do not think I have heard a bad word spoken against ERA until now. It seems though that now you have the ear of the company. It is my belief that the problem will be resolved quickly.

As you said that you will probably somewhere down the road spend money with ERA. Even though there was this difficulty somewhere they have impressed you with themselves. Good luck in resolving the issue quickly.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Scott, Sorry to hear about your issues with your deposit.

For the people that have had netigave comments about his post "lighten up". If it was your $5,000.00 that was tied up for 6-7 months you would be upset to. If this is an ERA issue the post from "STRICTLYPERSONL" is a standard "company" response. Be it true or not. Who knows? Every buisness tries to cover their a$$. Remember that Scott did not say anything about "ERA", strictlypersonl chimed in and said that they had a problem. 6-7 months for a person to get their deposit back is unacceptable. I have learned something from this post though. If a company wants a major deposit, try and set it up with a third party (a bank or what ever) so you can get it back if something goes wrong. I do not know if this can be done but it would be worth looking into. When you deal with a good reputable company, as ERA is, I would not think that would be needed. Every company has issues from time to time. Hope you get youe money back soon Scott.

Terry
Old 09-07-2007, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

this is not the FFR forum. If a member has a valid gripe against anyone and has tried normal means to get it rectified and that has failed, then it seems perfectly valid to post it here. None of us, or any vendor should be exempt from fair business practices, regardless of their popularity or past practices. Company groupies nonwithstanding.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000 w/CSXblock
Not Ranked     

I agree w/the above. When I responded factually to a question about my dealings w/Levy, everyone tried to shout me down. The truth shall prevail.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

I've no problem with him posting it here. The issue from my point of view was the way it was done. I.E. Wording it as if he were trying to keep the ID of the company anonymous. If he really wanted advise on how to get his money back without naming the company he could have posted on the Cobra talk forum (where most would probably put it) and he would have gotten a much greater response of ideas of how to handle the situation. He doesn't really want advice, he just wants to embarras ERA in a such a way that he can say "I didn't tell anybody who it was!"
Old 09-07-2007, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

I take if from the first post that pavulon ordered a GT-40 and then cancelled the order? It doesn't say that in the post, but the Cobra Make and Engine is a "ERA GT-40 #TBA".

I'm not a big one for thrashing businesses on a public forum. I, too, think it is counterproductive, but sometimes people feel like they just need to vent (or, in this case, attempt to pursuade the "vendor" with peer pressure).

I think Lineslinger had the best advice.

Somebody at the "vendor" needs to verify the deposit was actually made, then cut a check. One evening staying late ought to take care of that, though if the bookkeeper split this could take several hours. Having $5k tied up, especially if you needed it, would be extremely frustrating.

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 09-07-2007, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

By the way, ERA has $5350 of my money for my rear suspension, e-brake cables and sway bar, but I'm not worried. I've never had any issues getting out of ERA what is owed me.

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 09-07-2007, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Streetbeast, 351W
Not Ranked     

Buy a streetbeast....bahahahahahaha.......oh sh** I just about fell out of my chair.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA-722, Pure Street in BRG
Not Ranked     

I'm going to step in here just for a moment. If you have issues I feel it's best to speak with Peter or Bob and not try the peer pressure thing. I can understand your frustration. If you don't believe that ask Peter about the things I've phucked up in the past year and have a good laugh. If the book keeper quit there may take a little more time to sort through things. I would stake my life on ERA taking care of you and returning your deposit. If all was on the up and up and you didn't get your $5k back I'd be very surprised. One way or another you will get your money. In my line of work you learn to pick out who's honest and who's not very quickly. Peter and the folks at ERA are honest.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Angry

I'm surprised 'strictlypersonl' (Bob) replied at all. Many months ago when he changed his Club Cobra identity it was to announce he was here on a "strictly personal" basis. It is unfair to suggest that Bob should be directly involved in a spate as it regards company business and finances on THIS site! Give him a phone call, send him an e-mail or whatever.

I appreciate his help and advice on ERA's he so willingly gives us as a 'strictly personal' Club Cobra member. I sure wouldn't want his ability to offer that advice threatened in any way!

Thanks for your help Bob, I appreciate it.

Pavulon, I hope the matter is resolved to your satisfaction in the near future.

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-07-2007 at 09:22 PM..