Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Hey Jeffy,

Did you paint or powdercoat your wheels? If you could elaborate I would appreciate it.

BTW, I really think your FIA could be one of the best I've "seen."
ERA mounted the tires and masked them, then Teddy painted the wheels with a two-stage satin/semi-gloss black. I am very happy with the results. I would recommend this route over powdercoating: much broader finish and color selection, easier to "fix" or change the color, and paint appears to provide a thinner, smoother coat. The paint may scar easier than powdercoating, but should be easier to repair.

Thank you for the very nice compliment. As I said earlier, everything has turned out looking (and sounding!) as good or better than I hoped. I also think I'll feel the same about the driving!
Old 12-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy View Post
... everything has turned out looking (and sounding!) as good or better than I hoped. I also think I'll feel the same about the driving!
You'll love driving it. Now, personally, I'm not crazy about cold weather driving. When you get your car it's going to be cold, and that will be your first Cobra driving experience. You'll still enjoy it, but IMO it doesn't come anywhere near springtime Cobra driving. That's my favorite, and it's only a couple of months away.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy View Post
ERA mounted the tires and masked them, then Teddy painted the wheels with a two-stage satin/semi-gloss black. I am very happy with the results. I would recommend this route over powdercoating: much broader finish and color selection, easier to "fix" or change the color, and paint appears to provide a thinner, smoother coat. The paint may scar easier than powdercoating, but should be easier to repair.
If the magnesium wheels do not get made by Halibrand or even if they do get made, then I may go the same route as you and paint or powdercoat my Trigos. I really like that look a lot.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
You'll love driving it. Now, personally, I'm not crazy about cold weather driving. When you get your car it's going to be cold, and that will be your first Cobra driving experience. You'll still enjoy it, but IMO it doesn't come anywhere near springtime Cobra driving. That's my favorite, and it's only a couple of months away.
I doubt I'll do much driving before it warms up a bunch: the car doesn't have a heater or a top! Upside is that the drawn-out DMV process won't be nearly as frustrating if it's too cold to drive...
Old 12-21-2010, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
If the magnesium wheels do not get made by Halibrand or even if they do get made, then I may go the same route as you and paint or powdercoat my Trigos. I really like that look a lot.
The restored CSX 2001 sports the same look, and looks pretty cool in black-on-black:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3vIiezn80k

http://www.shelbycsxinfo.com/Article...-csx-2001.html
Old 12-27-2010, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2039
Not Ranked     
Default Distributor Question

Is that a tack drive magnito I see on your engine? Tell me about it.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack fia View Post
Is that a tack drive magnito I see on your engine? Tell me about it.
Yeah, I wanted the Jones 4" tach, which is mechanical drive, so we had to source a tach drive distributor. I believe we used a Mallory 26 Series (don't hold me to this, I'll look it up tomorrow at the office) that we upgraded with an electronic conversion kit, which, I was told, made it equivalent to a Mallory Unilite. As I recall, we did it this way because no one had the electronic Ford Fairlane 38 Series Unilite on the shelf. Best bet is to call Mallory, they were very helpful.

Last edited by jeffy; 12-27-2010 at 07:34 PM..
Old 12-31-2010, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2027, 65' 289" PS wheels
Not Ranked     
Default fire bottle...

Jeffy,

Where did you mount the fire system bottle?

Did you use a 5 or 10 pound capacity bottle?

Where are the outlet nozzles...how many...?

Thanks

Pete
ERA 289 #2027
Old 01-01-2011, 04:39 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Jeff,

What can you tell me about your remote oil filter assembly? Looks like something I could use for my soon to be FIA (Da Bunnies state, more details in last January ).

Thanks,

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-01-2011, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2027, 65' 289" PS wheels
Not Ranked     
Default Beaumont Metal Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Jeff,

What can you tell me about your remote oil filter assembly? Looks like something I could use for my soon to be FIA (Da Bunnies state, more details in last January ).

Thanks,

Bill S.
http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/oi...lve-final.html
ERA 289 #2027
Old 01-01-2011, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Munroe View Post
Jeffy,

Where did you mount the fire system bottle?

Did you use a 5 or 10 pound capacity bottle?

Where are the outlet nozzles...how many...?

Thanks

Pete
It is behind the dash where the heater would go (don't have one). Sorry, don't know about the nozzles! Need to ask Doug...

Here is a pic:

Last edited by jeffy; 03-29-2011 at 10:46 AM..
Old 01-01-2011, 11:05 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Munroe View Post
Outstanding, that is exactly what I'm going to use. Thanks.

Bill S.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Jeff,

Thanks,

Bill S.
Congratulations on your find!! Can't wait to hear the details.

That was installed to control the flow to the oil cooler; I expect that under normal conditions the flow will be completely shut off: many have complained that the engine doesn't warm up adequately on the road with the oil cooler functioning. Peter P. said to just cover up the front of the oil cooler with cardboard, but that obviously won't do!

Here is a link:

http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/index-perf-ap.html
Old 01-01-2011, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

That's a 5lb bottle. We usually put nozzles on the left and right side of the firewall (behind the engine), pointing forward.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
That's a 5lb bottle. We usually put nozzles on the left and right side of the firewall (behind the engine), pointing forward.
Bob,

What type of suppressant is used in Jeff's car, and are there any other types you would recommend?

- Tim
Old 01-01-2011, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

http://www.firebottleracing.com/new-products.html

Halon is not the absolute best fire suppressant, but it doesn't make a terminal mess should you use it.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:47 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
http://www.firebottleracing.com/new-products.html

Halon is not the absolute best fire suppressant, but it doesn't make a terminal mess should you use it.

Coldfire, aqua based fire suppression systems are best used in a open cockpit car like the Cobra.

http://www.firefreeze.com/coldfire.htm

One nozzle should be pointed towards your fuel source (engine compartment), one should be pointed at your foot box to give you time to get out of the car.

Bill S.

PS: Disclaimer, I used to sell these systems, I no longer handle the account that was my inside purchase pipeline (I can put you in touch with a NJ based supplier) , but feel strongly enough to use it in all of my personal race cars and cobras when they were warranted.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default January 11, 2011 visit

Some pictures from today's visit. Not much left to do: paint and install brake scoops, final tuning by Jim Inglese and road test.

Last edited by jeffy; 03-29-2011 at 10:47 AM..
Old 01-11-2011, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

So you drove it?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA2041 sold 2021
Not Ranked     

Your Halon bottle location looks like it may be hard to access for recharging (unless there is a way to do it without removal). My bottle on ERA2041 is mounted longitudinally in the top left corner of the passenger footbox, and isn't visible unless you stick your head under there. Relatively easy access, but not in the way. I assume the guys at ERA put it there, since I am the second owner. And, I don't have a heater either. Just an option for your consideration.........car looks fantastic BTW